New to me Lorcin L22

Moderators: FergusonTO35, farmkid, jeffchance, Flowmaster, 356, pockets, martin08, adam01364, Mr Saturday Night Special

New to me Lorcin L22

Postby adam01364 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:17 pm

Got a call today from a shop I haven't visited in quite a while; the last time I was there, I left one of my SNS business cards.
Seems they had taken in a Lorcin L22 and were offering me 1st dibs on it.

I wasn't expecting much -after all, it's a Lorcin- but when I arrived I was very pleasantly surprised. It was a chrome gun that was essentially NIB with a second mag and a a spare pair of grips. The magazines themselves are chrome and appear to be better than usual. I cycled some snap caps through it without a hitch. It came home with me for $50. :D :D :D

Image Image
adam01364
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Re: New to me Lorcin L22

Postby jeffchance » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:30 am

It would have come home with me, also.
Nice purchase.
JEFF
01 FFL
Certified Glock Armorer
www.jandnguns.com
SEMPER FI
jeffchance
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby 84minieldo » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:29 pm

very nice
84minieldo
Zamak Hoarding Weirdo FORUM BENEFACTOR

Postby Flowmaster » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:39 am

Wow. Is the manual dated?
Flowmaster
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby adam01364 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:23 am

No dates on any of the documents.
However the original owner made a copy of his factory parts order, and it was in the box.
He ordered a spare magazine, a spare take down button, a pair of black grips, and a holster.
The only item I didn't get in the deal was the holster.
Image Image
adam01364
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby David Vincent » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:49 pm

LOL...

yeah they are really nice. Might want to get the measurements on the extractor before you go shooting. They like to escape from captivity. Be gentle when you remove those grips. There are little pegs on the bottom that stabilize the grip. They snap off very very easily as lorcin apparently made these grips from recycled egg shells.

ergo wise they are absolutely fantastic. reliability wise... typical 22lr SNS gun which will be good with the right ammo and possibly a little F&B. Accuracy wise ... ???? never know with a lorcin. Lorcins are smooth bores so you have to be close to the target.
David Vincent
500+ Rounds Club. Zamak Hoarding Weird+

Postby adam01364 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:24 am

David, have you ever tried a J-22 extractor in the L22?
Image Image
adam01364
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby David Vincent » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:07 am

yup. They are a little thinner so its a little loose. They are also a little longer on the tail end. It seems to work OK for the most part although not as well as the high quality precise fitting of the original lorcin extractor. I think i had to shorten the front end to so it wouldnt slam into the barrel and zamak sleeve. Its been a while since i did it. The big thing was the pin hole and the hook measurements being close enough to work.

Little tip on lorcin l22s and the whole extractor thing. I drill the hole a little bigger and use a role pin instead of the lorcin pin. Its way undersized. I also use a stronger extractor spring. If you use a role pin it gets rid of the whole flying extractor issue with the l22.

Extractors absolutely suck on all lorcin guns by the way. l22, l25, l32, l9...... all of them have horrible extractors that are unreliable. The L9/Lh380s are the worse. Its pretty much a given IMO that you have to rework and fit extractors on lorcins. I have a cobra freedom whatever in 32acp that couldnt be made to work at all with the factory extractor and had to modify a davis p32 extractor to work.

The only reason a lot of the SNS guns get away with junk extraction is because they are blowbacks with loose chambers. If they where locked breeches they would jam like crazy.

steel breech plugs and recessed faces solve the crappy extractor issues for the most part but not many of the SNS guns have them. Raven and Davis are the only ones that come to mind. It also solves the issues of the breech faces cracking on the slides which happens pretty often with certain guns.... Sundance, Sedco, Lorcin etc.

OH yeah... One more reason I love the Lorcins so much is the L32/380 extractors are basically permanent and unremovable. The is no hole on the bottom of the slide. Another BRILLIANT move by Lorcin!

I know I rip on these guns all the time but its for good reason. There are so many flaws in the designs on Lorcins across the board I am amazed I can get them to run. Most of the time I am making or modifying parts from other SNS guns to work in lorcins. Once done they are Reliable and fairly durable but they is nothing that can be done with the accuracy. The rifling is so shallow and without twist that the bullet really doesnt stabilize. You end up with a smooth bore bullet tumbler. A hand loaded round lead ball custom round would probably be best for accuracy. All the lorcin rifling does is vent gas and rob pressure from the cartridge.

The only thing they really have going for them IMO is cosmetically if you like the way they look.... if it appeals to you. Ergos are also better on lorcins than most other SNS guns IMO other than the LC9 frames which are worse than cobray semi auto mac11 clones. The finish is also the worse... paint that chips like fingernail polish... chrome with no copper primer etc. etc. Plastic parts in critical areas that are waaaay to fragile. The list goes on and on. Three lot sights that look to be dripped on LOL. Its really pretty funny how bad they are. Kind of like they made pistols without ever really looking at real guns and modeled everything after old cap guns toys.

Yet here I am finishing up a LT25 and trying to figure out how to get another LC380 working. The LT25 is stripped to bare zamak and aluminum getting ready for a polish and parts fitting. The LC380 is in timeout because even after reworking it still does not want to work. It feeds well... extracts sometimes when i can get it to fire thanks to the wonderful trigger bar and cam interface waldorf created. i figure by the time i get it working 100% the frame or slide will crack LOL.
David Vincent

Postby adam01364 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:11 am

Yup, I agree with your assessment- the J-22 extractor is a tad thinner and a tad longer. I've made them work but their positioning can be a bit canted due to fit. But since the extractors are made of unobtainium, I do what I have to do.

I've thought about using roll pins for the L22, glad to hear it works.

I discovered the captured L32/380 extractors about a year ago myself, and was like WTF is this?? Then I realized it was Lorcin engineering at it's best- they kept the pin from falling out of the bottom of the slide LOL.

We hate them but we keep coming back to the zamak cookie jar. Why is that? It's like Lorcinitus lurks in our bloodstream, and breaks out without any warning. :P
Image Image
adam01364
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby David Vincent » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:02 pm

You probably have a hidden desire to be a street pimp deep in your subconscious. Nothing keeps girls in line better and protects your territory like packing a lorcin. Its like a warning sign for those who try and move in on your business.

Myself... I dont know why i like them. probably has something to do with years of reading bashing on the internet and it somehow sparked a challenge for me to make them work..... which all of mine do. For how long is another story. I have a pretty good amount of SNS type guns and put a lot of rounds through them and never had one blow up or injure me. I can see it happening though if someone is inexperienced with them and thinks they are like other guns.

The other thing is that before places like this people practically gave them away.... parts were dirt cheap etc. etc. Not really the case anymore.... again.... thanks to places like this.

They are fun to play around with and see what you can do with them. You kind of throw money away with SNS guns though. I actually like the simplicity of the design since every one is basically a raven with slight modifications. it would be nice if there was just one company that made SNS guns from steel instead of zamak. Its a neat material but doesnt hold up like i wish it would. You can basically cut it with a sharp knife like a piece of hardwood.

I am kind of a gun design nerd and the Raven type SNS design is probably my favorite. Easy to work on, inspect, service......extremely friendly to sloppy tolerances....minimal tool requirements.... etc. etc. My biggest beef is the lousy magazine construction and barrels that fail to stabilize bullets from certain manufacturers. The design is inherently accurate if the barrel works like it should. The single stack magazines, although flimsy, work most of the time.....double stack bryco, Lorcin.... absolute junk. They are worse than aftermarket mags.

These days I am surprised any of the Zamak SNS guns are still around in production. other than hipoints They are kind of expensive compared to other things on the market made of better materials. The last one to go should have been the Raven and it died a long time ago.

If you look at the prices of SNS guns now manufactured they are basically double what they used to be while at the same time the target market has lower purchasing power than it did 20 years ago. The business model these current SNS manufacturers use is one that looks for suckers and in the end looses repeat customers while the things like the internet kill sales from the other end by bad reviews.

Hipoint is really the only exception because they basically built a niche with larger caliber guns, great customer service, and highly beefed up designs which proved to be highly durable and safe. There is really nothing out there that can compete with hipoints. Its always kind of surprising to me that another company has never tried to compete with them by cloning large raven style blowbacks. Something like a hipoint with a steel slide that takes common quality magazines would put hipoint out of business. As of right now Hipoint really has no competition and its been that way for a long time.
David Vincent

Next

Return to Cobra-Davis-Lorcin Forum