Loaded chamber carry

Moderators: FergusonTO35, farmkid, jeffchance, Flowmaster, 356, pockets, martin08, adam01364, Mr Saturday Night Special

Re: Loaded chamber carry

Postby Don » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:15 am

Pockets, that's a good idea pre-cocking a SNS without putting one in the chamber. My CA 32 is notoriously hard to cock which is one of the reasons I considered carrying it with the chamber loaded. Pre-cocking seems like it would make it easier to chamber a round.

Don
Don
Hardcore

Postby Don » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:22 am

Flowmaster, my H&R break-top .38 is a hammerless DAO piece and my H&R .32 long appears to have a transfer bar. A friend of mine hand loads both the .38 and 32 for me so I get decent velocities from both. The .38 is loaded with 12.6 grains of Pyrodex P for velocities averaging 648 feet per sec and the 32 is loaded with 3.6 grains of #5 under a 100 grain xtp for an average of 678 ft per sec. Neither are thunder bolts but they should get the job done.

Don
Don
Hardcore

Postby FergusonTO35 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:12 am

As you are surely aware, Pyrodex requires thorough cleaning or it will reduce your gun to a pile of red dust. I won't use it in my guns anymore.
"If magic is to be defined as the use of ineffective means to allay anxiety when effective ones are not available, then we must conclude that no society will ever be completely free from it." -Keith Thomas, Religion and the Decline of Magic, 1971.
FergusonTO35
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby Don » Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:53 pm

I have been shooting black powder for years so yes I am quite aware of the need for immediate and thorough cleaning. I would have preferred my cartridges be loaded with real black because over time it will not weaken as many of the subs do.

Don
Don
Hardcore

Postby FergusonTO35 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:14 am

I like real black because it has reliable ignition, predictable performance, and is what a front stuffer is supposed to use. Pyrodex has all the disadvantages and none of the advantages, I absolutely hate that stuff. I use Triple 7 in my NEF Huntsman and love it. More velocity for the same charge, cleans almost as easy as smokeless, and no rusties after shooting even if you don't clean it for a few days. Still, If I ever get back into sidelocks they will only get fed the real thing.
"If magic is to be defined as the use of ineffective means to allay anxiety when effective ones are not available, then we must conclude that no society will ever be completely free from it." -Keith Thomas, Religion and the Decline of Magic, 1971.
FergusonTO35
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Previous

Return to Cobra-Davis-Lorcin Forum