Davis P32 project

Moderators: FergusonTO35, jeffchance, Flowmaster, 356, pockets, farmkid, adam01364, martin08, Mr Saturday Night Special

Davis P32 project

Postby adam01364 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:39 pm

I stopped by my LGS to pick up the Davis P32 that I purchased from Flow and have started to tinker around with it. It obviously has led a hard life before Flow and I got our hands on it.

Steve Coffman (kf7mjf, who is a friend of Farmkid) wrote a great piece about the Davis P32 pistol that was featured on Guns.com titled Davis P-32 Pistol Review: ‘It’s a good clunky’” Link: http://www.guns.com/review/davis-p-32/? ... 1600613249 which is one of the reasons I took on this P32 project.

As Flow indicated in his For Sale post viewtopic.php?f=26&t=3407 the slide has failed on the front. It’s only the second time I’ve seen this happen – and the only other time I saw it, it was also on a P32. The barrel was a little loose in the frame, and considering the slide failure it didn’t surprise me. I popped out the pin, cleaned everything up real good, and then lightly coated the barrel area of the frame with some JB Weld and pressed the barrel back into place, and re-pinned it. 24 hours later, the barrel is nice and tight.

I got a little excited when I saw there was no bumper on the frame, and then I remembered the P32 does not have a bumper on it. (BTW according to Fatwood the first run of P380 didn’t have bumpers either; you can read Fatwood’s post on 10/07/2013 here: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1918&p=20090&hilit=Davis+p32#p20090 )

Next I discovered the disc safety wouldn’t fit and when I looked closely I saw the frame had a mild ding in that area, so I took my Dremel and gently touched it up. Put on the grip and it was all good. As Flow noted the screw threads were good so there were no issues. Flipped it over and installed a sear and cam and put on the other grip; placed a slide on the frame, pulled the trigger and the cam immediately popped off releasing the sear and sear spring. Luckily the works were held in place by the slide. I simply punched the cam pin out a tad bit- and all was okay on the retry.

All that remains is to procure a slide retainer (aka take down button) and this P32 will be fully functional.

It will never ever win a beauty contest but I knew that from Flow’s pictures (see below). (I'll post some pics of the finished project soon)

Image Image
adam01364
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Re: Davis P32 project

Postby Flowmaster » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:41 pm

I'm so glad you're working on this gun and getting it going. You're truly the right person to have it.

I never noticed that the barrel was loose in the frame. I didn't really look at it that hard. Hey, I don't think I even took the zip tie out of it when I bought it. All the guns at the gun show have to be zip tied through the barrel or through the magwell so no jokers get the idea of slipping a loaded round into somebody's gun out on the table, so with the zip tie is how I found it and how I sent it to you. Sorry about that. I'm glad you were able to remedy it with some JB Weld. Its good stuff.
Flowmaster
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby David Vincent » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:32 pm

just wait until you shoot is and experience the greatness of accuracy in the P32.

other than that these are the best of the SNS 32s IMO. better extraction than the lorcin or the bryco. Steel slide plug that has a recess on the breech face works with the extractor and you end up with a very reliable and durable system. They are basically a scaled up raven in 32acp and just as good other than the accuracy.
David Vincent
600+ Rounds Club.Zamak Hoarding Weird++

Postby adam01364 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:36 am

Flowmaster wrote:I'm so glad you're working on this gun and getting it going. You're truly the right person to have it. I never noticed that the barrel was loose in the frame. Sorry about that. I'm glad you were able to remedy it with some JB Weld. Its good stuff.

No worries Flow. Since a lot of my SNS guns have come to me in the form of a parts gun, it's not my first rodeo bedding a barrel with JB Weld, that stuff works great. The barrels in older .380 & 9mm SNS pistols were only held in place with one pin, (Jimenez and Cobra use two) so I check for barrel wobble straightaway.
Image Image
adam01364
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Return to Cobra-Davis-Lorcin Forum