Davis D22 derringer

Moderators: FergusonTO35, jeffchance, Flowmaster, 356, pockets, farmkid, adam01364, martin08, Mr Saturday Night Special

Davis D22 derringer

Postby adam01364 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:39 am

I've been looking for a Davis D22 (22LR) derringer for quite a while. I've run across them occasionally at gun shows here in mA$$ but they've always be priced far beyond what I was willing to pay. There are no derringers (or any SNS) on the mA$$ "approved roster" so you kinda pay whatever the market will bear; I'm talking prices bumping just shy of $200. Way too rich for my budget, so I've always passed them by. But I never stopped keeping an eye out, 'cause you just never know.

Finally, finally, finally... I spotted this broken one. Guy wanted $40 out the door. Tells me it "needs parts, and Davis is out of business, so it's priced accordingly..."
I nearly tore the back pocket of my jeans in my hurry to get my wallet out.

Got 'er home, it needs a selector (the do-dad that alternates firing the upper or lower barrel), a barrel lock, and a screw. Called up Cobra (the successor to Davis) and ordered the parts, cost me $27 with shipping. :D

Minieldo will say, pics or it didn't happen, so here it is (unrepaired)

Image Image
adam01364
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Re: Davis D22 derringer

Postby ConditionOne » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:01 pm

If I recall thats your motto also "pics or it didn't happen" - When I got a written excuse to miss church on sunday, from the local priest, as a joke to my mother in law.
If I remember you wrote back "pics or it didn't happen" :D
I purchased a derringer some time ago, Ill have to look up what it is and how much i paid. That info to follow.
ConditionOne
FORUM BENEFACTOR 2016

Postby ConditionOne » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:10 pm

Its a Davis Industries Derringer, 22 mag, chrome, wood grips. Appears to have never been shot, $ 110 OTD. purchased Nov. 2014
ConditionOne
FORUM BENEFACTOR 2016

Postby adam01364 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:14 am

ConditionOne wrote:If I recall thats your motto also "pics or it didn't happen" - When I got a written excuse to miss church on sunday, from the local priest, as a joke to my mother in law. If I remember you wrote back "pics or it didn't happen" :D
I purchased a derringer some time ago, Ill have to look up what it is and how much i paid. That info to follow.

Yup, Minieldo and I both say "pics or it didn't happen". :lol:

ConditionOne wrote:Its a Davis Industries Derringer, 22 mag, chrome, wood grips. Appears to have never been shot, $ 110 OTD. purchased Nov. 2014

You did better than me on my first one, which was a chrome/wood Davis Industries D32, which cost my $125 OTD. At the time the shop also had a second Davis Industries DM22 Derringer for the same price -which I passed over. At the time I didn't realize how difficult it would be to find affordable Derringers in this state. :oops:
Image Image
adam01364
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby Flowmaster » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:24 pm

The small frame Davis/Cobra derringers are a really good size.
Flowmaster
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby 84minieldo » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:06 pm

yes i will but unfortunately im too busy lately so it takes a while...very nice, buddy at work sold one to another guy for 125, so that seems the going rate for a workin davis derringer
84minieldo
Zamak Hoarding Weirdo FORUM BENEFACTOR

Postby adam01364 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:17 pm

**UPDATE**
Got my parts order in from Cobra and went to work on the Davis. They're very simple guns, so how hard could it be, right?
Well... it did go together with a few minor PITA moments.

1st: The ball that sits on top of the spring for the barrel lock detent (item #25). It will go into place, but you need a dollop of patience to balance it on the spring while you slide in the lock into position. I used a tiny jewelers screwdriver to hold it down while I finessed it into position. Took me a half dozen attempts.

2nd: The selector (item #4), cam (item #5), and spring (item #28). As you can see in my 1st post, the selector was broken, but the spring was there. To replace the selector you have to remove the grips and push out the hammer pivot pin (item #18) which releases the hammer, selector, and cam. Replacing the selector was a piece of cake, but the cam can be installed upside down if you're not careful -and the derringer won't work. The hammer, selector, and cam are installed as a unit and you need to push downward onto the mainspring and guide pin (items #12 & #31). When everything is in position, push in the hammer pivot pin (item #18) and you are good to go.

Unfortunately for me, whoever had the derringer before me installed a over-length spring and although everything went together, I couldn't cock the hammer. Doubly unfortunate for me was the fact I did not realize the spring was too long. Overly long springs matter. After assembling / disassembling the derringer at least eight times, I decided to look at my Davis D-32 and do some comparisons. Dremeled 1/4" off the spring, popped things back together again and this time, it worked perfectly. Lesson learned: If you buy a basket case gun, do not assume all the parts are correct!

Image Image
adam01364
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Return to Cobra-Davis-Lorcin Forum