Are these things still cracking?

Moderators: FergusonTO35, jeffchance, Flowmaster, 356, pockets, farmkid, adam01364, martin08, Mr Saturday Night Special

Are these things still cracking?

Postby Banned for Life » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:55 pm

I keep seeing these target versions in 22lr here and there and they are tempting as I want something with a longer barrel to run through my stash of 22lr.

I remember a few years back that people had a lot of problems with these cracking the frame. Has phoenix addressed this do you guys know or should I stay away?
Banned for Life
Zamak Hoarding Weirdo

Re: Are these things still cracking?

Postby adam01364 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:04 pm

AFAIK, they haven't changed anything. But if you crack one, they will replace it under warranty.
Biggest thing you can do to minimize a potential crack is to stick with standard velocity ammo.
Now that the whole ammo shortage is over, I've built up a goodly stock of SV ammo.
Image Image
adam01364
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby Banned for Life » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:57 pm

I think I may just save a little more up and get one of the entry level Browning buckmarks. Seems like those can still be had at decent prices.
Banned for Life
Zamak Hoarding Weirdo

Postby Flowmaster » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:10 pm

I love the Phoenix Arms HP22A but there's no denying that it has a problem with the frame cracking at the paper thin area of the top of the magazine well. Someone on here years ago cut out around the area where it cracked and kept shooting the gun with no ill effects. Its just a bad design to have that paper thin area. It must be too expensive to change the molds or dies or whatever.
Flowmaster
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby farmkid » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:20 pm

Flowmaster wrote:I love the Phoenix Arms HP22A but there's no denying that it has a problem with the frame cracking at the paper thin area of the top of the magazine well. Someone on here years ago cut out around the area where it cracked and kept shooting the gun with no ill effects. Its just a bad design to have that paper thin area. It must be too expensive to change the molds or dies or whatever.

I love mine, too. In fact, I sold my first one in some sort of fit of insanity, and then had to buy another. Yes, it's a weak design, and I suspect that the lack of a fix is due to the cost of retooling, as you suggest, and the ( :cry: ) low demand volume, thus not justifying the cost of change.
Lifetime member, Second Amendment Foundation
farmkid
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby bumthum » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:15 am

I did a brief study of Zamak a year or so ago, for a materials class, and its material properties are comparable to some aluminums in most alloys. Most Zamak alloys tend to be a little brittle and some are unstable over time (I think old school N scale train collectors call it zinc-rot). I think many people designing diecast firearms for Zamak are more interested in appearance rather than fatigue life. Look at how chunky the original Raven (designed by an aerospace engineer), in .25 ACP, is compared to more modern Zamak pistols in similar or more powerful chamberings. I think cracking is impossible to avoid in most current designs given a long enough timeline.

Still, a cracked frame may limit long term fatigue life of the pistol without causing an immediate hard break of the firearm. Small pistols with non-continuous frames, like the Czech DUO, have existed for a long time and, though being made of steel, show that a firearm can function with only one side of the frame intact. Until the intact side of the Zamak frame fails in bending, it should essentially function like a gun like the DUO does.
bumthum
Gunslinger

Postby adam01364 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:37 am

One of the things I think Zamak pistol designers overlooked is designing to reduce stress.
Square corners are stress points, while rounded corners have less stress, and circular openings have the least stress. Think about the Jennings Nine frame cracks - the always start at the square opening for the LRHO finger.
Image Image
adam01364
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Return to Phoenix Arms Forum