Are these things still cracking?

Moderators: FergusonTO35, jeffchance, Flowmaster, 356, pockets, farmkid, adam01364, martin08, Mr Saturday Night Special

Are these things still cracking?

Postby Banned for Life » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:55 pm

I keep seeing these target versions in 22lr here and there and they are tempting as I want something with a longer barrel to run through my stash of 22lr.

I remember a few years back that people had a lot of problems with these cracking the frame. Has phoenix addressed this do you guys know or should I stay away?
Banned for Life
Zamak Hoarding Weirdo

Re: Are these things still cracking?

Postby adam01364 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:04 pm

AFAIK, they haven't changed anything. But if you crack one, they will replace it under warranty.
Biggest thing you can do to minimize a potential crack is to stick with standard velocity ammo.
Now that the whole ammo shortage is over, I've built up a goodly stock of SV ammo.
Image Image
adam01364
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby Banned for Life » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:57 pm

I think I may just save a little more up and get one of the entry level Browning buckmarks. Seems like those can still be had at decent prices.
Banned for Life
Zamak Hoarding Weirdo

Postby Flowmaster » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:10 pm

I love the Phoenix Arms HP22A but there's no denying that it has a problem with the frame cracking at the paper thin area of the top of the magazine well. Someone on here years ago cut out around the area where it cracked and kept shooting the gun with no ill effects. Its just a bad design to have that paper thin area. It must be too expensive to change the molds or dies or whatever.
Flowmaster
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Return to Phoenix Arms Forum