HP25 trigger return issue

Moderators: FergusonTO35, jeffchance, Flowmaster, 356, pockets, farmkid, adam01364, martin08, Mr Saturday Night Special

HP25 trigger return issue

Postby Flowmaster » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:42 pm

I was shooting a Phoenix Arms HP25 last night at the range with my boss from the gun shows. We had a strange issue with this used gun in that the trigger wouldn't return or rebound or whatever adequately. If I pulled the trigger and then let go during the recoil of the gun going off, the trigger would work just fine. If I held the trigger in while shooting it, I would have to sort of gently help the trigger go forward just a little bit to get it to reset.

I've never torn down one of these guns beyond taking the barrel and slide off for regular cleaning. It seems like an entertaining design.

Is there something obviously wrong here? I bet this gun is super-old and looks like it has had a rough life. I'm just wondering if its something I can tackle myself or if we should send it into Phoenix Arms.
Flowmaster
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Re: HP25 trigger return issue

Postby adam01364 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:58 am

Most likely an older gun with the old style trigger. I had this issue with my early gun and retrofitted the new style trigger. Apparently Phoenix changed the design to remedy this problem by adding a trigger return spring. It wasn't difficult to do, very straight-forward. You just need a newer trigger and spring. I'll look in my parts box and see if I have one after I shovel out here.

In the pic below you can see the return spring in the gun on the left.

Image Image
adam01364
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby adam01364 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:12 am

Flow,
FYI: Numrich doesn't list the trigger return spring or show it on the parts diagram. R&R of the trigger will be very simple since you've worked on a SNS pistol before.
Here it is in a nutshell. I was pleased I was able to do the swap without fully removing the trigger assembly. Oh, and I don't show the little spring in the base of the trigger that pushes against the trigger bar - it's just like you've encountered before on a Raven or Jennings.

Image Image
adam01364
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby Flowmaster » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:24 pm

Wow that's great tech. Thanks so much. I am going to order a new trigger for it before it gets sold at a show. I don't want to sell a gun that I know isn't right.
Flowmaster
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby adam01364 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:13 pm

Flow, the two triggers I have are the old style ones. Sorry :(

On the plus side, I'm betting that HP-25 has solid pins instead of roll pins- makes it a lot easier to press out and back in when you make the upgrade. ;)

Oh, and one more thing. Check to see if the HP-25 has the black rectangular cross pin in place. I had an HP-25 that drove me nuts not going completely into battery (see below).

Image Image
adam01364
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Return to Phoenix Arms Forum