Raven Low Serial Numbers

Moderators: FergusonTO35, jeffchance, Flowmaster, 356, pockets, farmkid, adam01364, martin08, Mr Saturday Night Special, JTJersey

Re: Raven Low Serial Numbers

Postby GunWebsites » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:58 am

David Vincent wrote:these are mine...

032xxx Nickel/Pearl
020xxx Kind of a blued finish (not paint)/Walnut grips
062xxx Nickel/ Walnut

I should have another one next week. Not sure what the serial number is on that one yet but its old.

nice assortment, please post some pics if you can
Those who adapt control the future
Gun Websites
GunWebsites
500+ Rounds Club. Zamak Hoarding Weird+

Postby David Vincent » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:28 am

adam01364 wrote:David, are you collecting only the Baldwin Parks?

I have lots and lots of ravens. I just pick up balwin parks when I see them because I like the history a little more and the way the saftey operates is kind of neat. I guess I kind of collect all the ravens though. It all started out with picking up beaters and experimenting with refishing Zamak with different methods. Now I probably have enough to stock a few gunshops. As much as I like ravens they are not my favorite (love sundances). History wise I like the early versions because it is kind of the design that started it all. Pretty much every budget semi auto is just a clone or bigger version of a raven IE Hi-points, Jimenez, Bryco, Jennings, Sundance etc. etc. I have always felt they were underated in terms of firearms history. More pistols of the raven design have been sold than any other semiauto (at least in the USA).
David Vincent
600+ Rounds Club.Zamak Hoarding Weird++

Postby adam01364 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:42 pm

David, I like them, but wow. I wanted to get chrome Ravens in each of the five variations, which took a bit of doing living here.
Like you, I am really surprised me that the Raven is not given the sort of historical credit its due. The design is uber simple and it just plain works no matter what (I've yet to experience any kind of failure with one.) And to your point, the Raven nest yielded a whole flock of similarly designed firearms. Granted they're not FN or Colt Vest pocket pistols, but they never intended or pretended to be such. There was a niche for an inexpensive pocket sized pistol, and the Raven filled the bill.

I also agree with you on Sundance. Someday I'd like to get my mitts on a BOA, the Laser model, and the Point Blank. I like the innovation and the appearance of them, and they work just as well as the Raven.
adam01364
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby David Vincent » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:45 pm

adam01364 wrote:David, I like them, but wow. I wanted to get chrome Ravens in each of the five variations, which took a bit of doing living here.
Like you, I am really surprised me that the Raven is not given the sort of historical credit its due. The design is uber simple and it just plain works no matter what (I've yet to experience any kind of failure with one.) And to your point, the Raven nest yielded a whole flock of similarly designed firearms. Granted they're not FN or Colt Vest pocket pistols, but they never intended or pretended to be such. There was a niche for an inexpensive pocket sized pistol, and the Raven filled the bill.

I also agree with you on Sundance. Someday I'd like to get my mitts on a BOA, the Laser model, and the Point Blank. I like the innovation and the appearance of them, and they work just as well as the Raven.

I have the a25, Boa, and the laser model. They are all nice. i cant really say anything bad about any of them. The Laser is unuiqe and the laser itself is very high quality. I dont know who the maker was but they are as well built as my laser devices BA2 beretta laser. The boa is great if you want the grip saftey and the double saftey is very positive. Good enough to carry a chambered round IMO. The A25 is kind of the bare bones model and I do carry it often. The sundances have more gripping surface and are far more comfortable to shoot then the ravens. The magazine release is well executed and makes the gun feel more like a beretta 950. The workmanship on sundances is the best I have seen on all the ring of fire guns. There are no tool marks or mold flash lines on any of mine.

My favorite 25 SNS in order are below. I also carry all three of these in different ways. Not at the same time though LOL. Most often ankle carry. Sometimes small camera case carry around the neck. I even have a nice little shoulder holster that I use once in a while. They are nice options for carry when I dont want to lug around a Makarov. People knock the little 25acp but I have seen what it can do and for light carry self defense I feel its fine as long as you hit the target. 25s are very comfortable to shoot its easy to be fast and accurate unlike some of the wonderlight 380s out there know.

Sundance
Raven
Jennings/Bryco 25

Lorcins are kind of junky. They can work but are poor workmanship. Some parts are plastic but they can be switched out with Raven parts (I dont like plastic triggers and mag catches). The grips on lorcins do not fit all that great either. There is enough empty space on the back of the frame that the grips will split with enough use. The Zamak they use is poorer quality IMO and the grip screws can strip out easily. The magazines are cheaply made compared to the others above and the magazine floorplate is plastic. The safteys are thin plastic and do not change out with other disc safteys (I tried).
David Vincent

Postby David Vincent » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:53 pm

Picked up the Raven today. Updated list...

032xxx Nickel/Pearl
020xxx Kind of a blued finish (not paint)/Walnut grips
062xxx Nickel/ Walnut

and....its an oldie

0028xx
David Vincent

Postby adam01364 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:08 pm

Holy schnikes, essentially a four digit serial #! Awesome! Let me guess, nickle finish with the pearl grayish grips?
adam01364
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby David Vincent » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:04 pm

Its black with pearl. I Have not cleaned it up yet and its Pretty dirty and dusty. Its nice though. Doesnt Look to be fired. There are no marks on the magazine follower. It feels dirty but I think its just zamak dust and dried oil/preservative/ grease. It looks like someone bought it and put it in a drawer for 50 years. Its the lowest serial # I have seen but I am sure there are others floating around. Sometimes I wonder how many ravens are out the compared to how many were made.
David Vincent

Postby LCPfraTN » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:16 pm

I'm definitely nowhere near the low serial number. My Baldwin Park model's serial number is 055XXX and it's nickel/walnut.
LCPfraTN
700+ Rounds Club. Official Forum Gun Nut

Postby David Vincent » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:03 pm

LCPfraTN wrote:I'm definitely nowhere near the low serial number. My Baldwin Park model's serial number is 055XXX and it's nickel/walnut.

My serial number is lower than yours so I am cooler and your gun sucks!!!! :lol:

It doesnt really matter that much to me honestly. Sometimes I get lucky with serial numbers though. I picked up a sundance that was 666! Satan's Sundance! I dindnt really realize it until I got home and got a strange feeling....did I just curse myself? Would the gun blow up and kill me?

Another one was a Hipoint model C with 007 in the serial number. Hi-point james Bond style!

The only one I remember buying because of a serial number was a J22 that was within the first 150 ever made. For some reason I wanted it as I thought I would be a J22 nut (has not really happened though yet, not sure why).
David Vincent

Postby adam01364 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:12 am

I've got a Fraser with a 007 serial number. LOL
adam01364
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

PreviousNext

Return to Raven Pistols Forum