Raven Arms Production Collection More or Less Complete

Moderators: FergusonTO35, jeffchance, Flowmaster, 356, pockets, farmkid, adam01364, martin08, Mr Saturday Night Special, JTJersey

Raven Arms Production Collection More or Less Complete

Postby bumthum » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:20 am

I now have the four, primary, production variants from Raven Arms. I did manage to identify at least one additional minor variation that I may end up tracking down as well.

Now I need to focus on the two major Phoenix Raven variations before moving on to preferred finish and/or grip variations.

I'll keep the forum informed as to anything I discover during my research.
bumthum
Gunslinger

Re: Raven Arms Production Collection More or Less Complete

Postby adam01364 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:02 pm

Looking good! Congrats!

Now... there IS one other variation, and that's a Raven with the factory floral slide. They exist, but I've only seen one.
Image Image
adam01364
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby bumthum » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:26 pm

adam01364 wrote:Looking good! Congrats!

Now... there IS one other variation, and that's a Raven with the factory floral slide. They exist, but I've only seen one.

Thanks.

Yes, I've the photos and I wonder just how many were made and why. I assume those were the least likely to be confiscated by police and melted down, so if they were produced in any numbers they must be out there somewhere.

Actually, though, the minor regular production variant I am deciding on are P-25s in and around the 3XX,XXX serial range (at least that's the range I've observed them in) that have curved surfaces on their safety switches. The early P-25s all appear to have flat safety switches and the later P-25s also have flat safety switches, but there seems to be a small range where the serrated surface has a radius. It's interesting, but I'm not sure what triggered the change to and then back from the curved switch. For as long as the image lasts, you can see what I am talking about on the safety switch of the P-25 below:

bumthum
Gunslinger

Postby adam01364 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:12 am

Wow- Frankly I've never paid to much attention to the safety switch - but you're right it's definitely a variation and what's cool is you've narrowed it down to a serial number range. 8-)

I've always liked how the magwells on the P-25 models are rounded, not angled. I dunno- it just seems to me they paid more attention to their finished product.
Image Image
adam01364
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby bumthum » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:23 am

adam01364 wrote:Wow- Frankly I've never paid to much attention to the safety switch - but you're right it's definitely a variation and what's cool is you've narrowed it down to a serial number range. 8-)

I've always liked how the magwells on the P-25 models are rounded, not angled. I dunno- it just seems to me they paid more attention to their finished product.

Well, to be fair, my data set is still pretty limited. I'm using mostly auctions from Gunbroker and those are further limited to only listings containing the serial number in some way. The lowest Industry P-25 I've seen is well below 100,000 and it does not have a rounded safety. The only specimens I clearly saw the rounded safety on, or suspected I saw it on, were all in a tight group around the 3XX,XXX range... That was only three examples though, so it's difficult to be sure.

I'm going to be putting out a call for data here in the near future, I'm working on a spreadsheet that should help sort out the timeline and serial number ranges for a lot of these production changes.
bumthum
Gunslinger

Postby farmkid » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:25 pm

I recently saw one that I didn't know existed, though that may just be my ignorance: a Baldwin Park with the middle-style safety, that is the flat one that moves forward and backward "correctly" (F<>S). I'd jumped to the conclusion that BP only made the original, round safety that was backward, i.e. S<>F.
A PERFECT WORLD: start with the fifties, remove racial segregation, insert internet. Factor Edsels to the power of 3 and multiply by Tom Terrific. Paradise!
farmkid
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby bumthum » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:04 pm

farmkid wrote:I recently saw one that I didn't know existed, though that may just be my ignorance: a Baldwin Park with the middle-style safety, that is the flat one that moves forward and backward "correctly" (F<>S). I'd jumped to the conclusion that BP only made the original, round safety that was backward, i.e. S<>F.

I never knew that existed either, I've never seen one. I'll have to add that to my searches, I assumed all middle style safeties were Industry. I can say that none of the ones I've collected data on were Baldwin Park, because I've been looking to make sure the slides were replaced. I'll keep a lookout for this one.

This is great info by the way, thank you.
bumthum
Gunslinger

Postby adam01364 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:41 pm

Transition piece... wonder how many were made like that?
Image Image
adam01364
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby bumthum » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:05 pm

I suspect they're original, left over, Baldwin Park slides that have had metal removed to allow them to function on the Industry receivers. I guess there would be a number of possible scenarios, but I suspect that Raven Arms would choose to begin retooling at the new facility rather than immediately preceding the move. An unmodified Baldwin Park slide will not even mount to an assembled Industry receiver.

I really want to find one and tear it apart, to see if and what was modified to make it work.
bumthum
Gunslinger

Postby Flowmaster » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:45 pm

Now I need to go pull out my Ravens and take a look. I think I have a Raven like the one you pictured.
Flowmaster
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Next

Return to Raven Pistols Forum