Looky at this Beater!

Moderators: FergusonTO35, jeffchance, Flowmaster, 356, pockets, farmkid, adam01364, martin08, Mr Saturday Night Special, JTJersey

Looky at this Beater!

Postby Banned for Life » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:58 pm

Bought little fella for $50 the other day. Inside is immaculate! I bet its never even had a box of ammo through it. Lots and lots of Honest to goodness pocket carry wear showing on it. I am super tempted to leave it exactly as it is!

I sold all my ravens a while back and have recently started to get a few more of them and other assorted 25's

Banned for Life
Zamak Hoarding Weirdo

Re: Looky at this Beater!

Postby jeffchance » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:07 am

Leave the finish "as is". Shows character and has a story to tell, if it could.
Congrats.
JEFF
01 FFL
Certified Glock Armorer
www.jandnguns.com
SEMPER FI
jeffchance
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby FergusonTO35 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:51 am

Agree, leave it as is. That patina wouldn't look out of place on an old Winchester or Colt. I wonder if that one was a cop's back up gun, they were quite popular back in the day for that purpose.
"If magic is to be defined as the use of ineffective means to allay anxiety when effective ones are not available, then we must conclude that no society will ever be completely free from it." -Keith Thomas, Religion and the Decline of Magic, 1971.
FergusonTO35
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby adam01364 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:08 am

I love it!
Another vote to leave it as it is. Lots of carry wear, even the corners of the grips are rounded off!
Probably been to lots of places and could regale you with tales of its travels.
adam01364
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby Flowmaster » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:25 am

People pay for Chiappa 22s to come brand new with finish like that.
Flowmaster
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby David Vincent » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:57 pm

lots of options for zamak

1- leave as is

2-. strip finish and polish or abbrasive blast zamak in raw giving you a stainless look or blasted finish (AMT style)

3.- Antique finish with the use of chemicals and application technique (my favorite for really trashed SNS guns)

4.- Straight up paint it with fancy gunpaint or easily available engine enamel/appliance epoxy/VHT caliper/Wheel paint. Personally I avoid painting guns whenever possible as its a bit ugly IMO but there are times when I do it. Best to break hard edges and abbrasive blast to prep before painting for durability. Also some tricks to rattlecan paint to thin it up brefore applying so it doesnt look like rattlecan paint.

first thing you have to do is complete take down, clean every piece, inspect for cracks or abbusive wear..... then take it out and see how it performs. New recoil and fireing pin spring never hurts. See how the accuracy is.... reliability etc. Dial it in so to speak. Fluff and buff...whatever. If it needs a crown touch up you can do it with a brass screw, a drill, and some flitz on the cheap if you dont have gunsmithing crowning tools.

other than that you can oil the grips or even stipple them with a wood burner. Put a stainless or hardened steel fireing pin in it and it make a nice little pocket auto. I typically paint the front sight yellow and the rear sight red for easier pick up as the raven is one accurate little pocket auto. I also paint the rear tip of the fireing pin for easy identification of a cocked striker and also kind of a poor mans red dot for shooting close up.

If you want grips that fit the hand better the mean looking skull grips on ebay are very thick compared to any other raven grips. They are very agressive in the hand so there is no issue with slipping. If you need more than that you can put rubberized traction tape on the frontstrap and backstrap.
David Vincent
600+ Rounds Club.Zamak Hoarding Weird++

Postby FarmallB » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:32 am

I love it when there is a posting in the Raven section of the forum! I don't know why but I just like reading about the Ravens. I guess, to me, they are the underdogs of the gun world. Most people expect little out of them, yet they almost universally perform great.

Long live the Raven!
FarmallB
Hardcore

Postby adam01364 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:18 am

FarmallB wrote:Long live the Raven!
Dilly Dilly!
adam01364
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby Banned for Life » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:45 am

100 rounds through it on Saturday at my local gun club. Sure is hard finding all the brass. I'm bringing a big ass tarp next time.

I also started on a temp mold for the 25acp. I have always wanted to load for it and I missed out on the run of Lee molds they made a while back.

So far I have come up with at least a usable profile. Once I get the depth of the hole right for a 50gr boolit I'll probably buy a 2 cavity blank mold from Lee and use it. Using a honed out drill bushing as the sizing die.

These will be powdercoated. Lemme see if I can get pics.
Banned for Life
Zamak Hoarding Weirdo

Postby Banned for Life » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:49 am

No lube band. Temp mold.

Banned for Life
Zamak Hoarding Weirdo

Next

Return to Raven Pistols Forum