Raven Detailed Disassembly

Moderators: FergusonTO35, jeffchance, Flowmaster, 356, pockets, farmkid, adam01364, martin08, Mr Saturday Night Special, JTJersey

Postby Flowmaster » Fri May 11, 2012 9:16 pm

By Flowmaster for the bryco-jennings-jimenezarms forum.

This is intended to be for your entertainment only. If you chose to take apart your gun, whatever happens is your problem. The author of this tutorial as well as the bryco-jennings-jimenezarms forum is not responsible for any damage or injury that results from you monkeying with your gun.

Before I start on the disassembly procedure, lets discuss tools needed for this project. I used a 1/8th inch pin punch, a small hammer, and a screwdriver for this gun.
The subject today is a Raven made in Industry California. It’s not in the greatest shape, but it works great. This write up is just showing you folks how to completely tear down a Raven and put it all back together. Many of the design elements are similar to guns made by Lorcin, Jennings, Bryco, Jimenez, Cobra, and Davis. This tutorial may help you in the disassembly of your gun, but keep in mind that all Saturday Night Specials are not identical.
First step is always for safety. Remove the magazine and pull back the slide to be sure the gun is not loaded.
OK folks, now to the disassembly. In the above picture, you can see the rearward portion of the firing pin protruding through the takedown button. The gun can’t be taken apart while the firing pin is in the cocked position, so you’ll need to dry fire the gun to get the firing pin back down toward the chamber area. Once again, make sure the gun is unloaded, then pull the trigger to release the firing pin. Once that is done, your takedown button should look like the bottom one in the picture.
Use something to press in on the takedown button. I used a pen because that’s just what I had on hand at the time. A pin punch, chopstick, or whatever you have will work. You don’t want to use something sharp that’d scratch the finish of the gun.
While pressing in on the takedown button with your pen or whatever, pull rearward on the slide slightly and pull the slide upward. The back portion of the slide will come off of the frame as shown in the picture.
Pull the back portion of the slide up even further to get the slide to go completely off of the frame.
Lets remove some springs. The recoil spring lives beneath the barrel and is just pulled out. The firing pin, firing pin spring, and takedown button come out of the back of the slide.
Remove the right grip with a screwdriver that fits well.
With the grip off of this side of the gun, you can see the trigger bar, cam, and sear. This is how its supposed to look when you go to put the grips back on the gun later. The trigger bar sits flat on the frame and the cam sits flat on the frame as well. You don’t want one part ontop of another because the grips won’t fit against the frame during disassembly.
To remove the cam and sear, press down on the sear a little, and then pull the cam off of its pivot pins. The sear can now lift out along with the spring that’s below it.
Now its time to remove the grip from the other side of the gun. There were 3 different models of Raven safeties. The first version was a large round button that slid forward and back. The second version is what I’ve got here. The third version was a disc that rotated. With the grip off of this side of the gun, you can just lift the safety out of the way.
Next step is the magazine release. There is a pin that holds this in place. You can push the pin out from either side of the gun. I used my 1/8th inch punch, but you could use a larger pin punch if you have it. The inset picture is how the spring is oriented in the magazine release when its inside the frame.
Its trigger time. There is a 1/8th inch pin that needs to be hammered out. Use your 1/8th inch punch to get the pin out from either side of the frame. To get the trigger and trigger bar out of the frame, swivel it out through the window in the frame as shown. There is a small spring on the top of the trigger. Make sure you don’t lose that. Small springs have a habit of running away from me. At this point the frame is fully stripped aside from the two little pins that the cam sits on. I didn’t bother removing those, but if you were going to be refinishing a Raven frame, it wouldn’t be a bad idea.
Now, back to the slide. To get the extractor out of the slide, use that same 1/8th inch pin punch to drive the pin out from one side. If you look closely at the hole, you can see the hole in the slide for this pin is larger on one side than the other. The inset picture shows how the spring is oriented inside the slide.
At this point your raven is completely taken apart. This picture shows all of the parts except for the recoil spring that goes beneath the barrel.

Reassembly:
I started my reassembly with the trigger mechanism,. It took both hands, so I didn’t get any pictures of that part of the process. Just take your time and line everything up. I’ve found that if you take your pin punch and slide it through the hole in the frame where the pin should be, you can easily line up your parts. Then slide the pin back in place and you’re done with the trigger assembly.
To put the sear and cam back in place, press down on the sear a little bit and put the cam back on it’s pins. Be careful that you have the sear pointed in the right direction. If the sear is installed the wrong way, you’ll have problems.

I next tackled the magazine release. Its pretty easy and doesn’t really require a picture. I used my punch to get everything lined up. If you get frustrated with this, take a break. Go make a sandwich, eat it, and then try again.
Don’t forget to put the safety back in place before putting on the other grip panel.
With the magazine release done, you can now put the grips back on the gun.
Put the firing pin in first (small tip forward), then the firing pin spring, then the takedown button. They just slide into their hole in the slide. The recoil spring can also be installed at this point beneath the barrel. I didn’t get any pictures of the extractor reassembly, but it requires using the 1/8th inch pin punch to help line everything up before installing the pin. This took both hands, so I didn’t get a picture.

Next, put the slide back on the gun. I didn’t get any pictures of this either because it requires the use of both hands. Use the pen or whatever you were using to push on the takedown button just a little bit so the hook on the bottom of the takedown button will go into its slot in the frame.
You’re done. Function check the safety and make sure the gun cocks and dry fires before taking it to the range.
Flowmaster
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Return to Raven Pistols Forum