H & R Model 1906

Moderators: FergusonTO35, farmkid, jeffchance, Flowmaster, 356, pockets, martin08, adam01364, Mr Saturday Night Special

H & R Model 1906

Postby jakebrake » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:10 pm

cool little 7 shot revolver. serial number in the 19K range (figure circa 1930-ish). worth less than any raven I own...

here's my silly question....anyone ever fire one of these things? I'm drooling at the thought, would like to keep my fingers intact. (that open loading port is rather disconcerting.)
jakebrake
Plinker

Re: H & R Model 1906

Postby adam01364 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:19 pm

Here's a YouTube of a guy shooting one, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2vlOHnQCiE

Is it labeled .22 rim fire, or .22 LR? Does yours have an octagonal barrel?

I don't have one of these, but I do have an H&R "Young America" which I've fired (.22 short). Still got all my fingers...
Image Image
adam01364
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby Flowmaster » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:57 am

I've shot guns similar to that with Colibri and Super Colibri rounds. I also have all of my fingers. I got a good deal on them years ago and they were cheaper than buying up 22 shorts.

The gun may be for 22 Long, not 22 Long Rifle. I've seen some old top break 22s that are marked 22 RIM FIRE and will fit 22LR but are probably designed for a lower pressure load like 22 Long.
Flowmaster
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby nwmousegunner » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:51 pm

There is quite a bit of information on the internet about the older Iver Johnson and Harrington Richardson revolvers. Research that I found indicates that early H&R revolvers were proofed for smokeless powder in the early 1900's. Smokeless proofed models will have a locking notch cut into the cylinder at the base of the cylinder notch so the cylinder will not move when the hammer is cocked. I am unable to post pictures with out my son's help if you don't under stand my explanation you can look at pictures on Gun Broker and see the differences in the cylinders. I shot cb shorts and cb longs in my H&R until I was able to identify it as a Premier model 2nd issue and safe for smokeless powder. I will add that I have only used standard velocity loads and would caution any one shooting these old revolvers to do the same as they were not designed for high velocity ammo. Mine is plenty accurate for plinking and casual shooting. The sights are a little hard to see with 73 year old eyes, but they are usable. If your 1906 is black powder proofed get some CCI cb caps and take it out and shoot it you will have fun. Dave
nwmousegunner
GUN NUT!

Return to Inexpensive guns that are not SNS, including Taurus, Charter, Kel-tec, Rossi......