SCCY Gen1 receiver into a Gen2 grip frame

Moderators: FergusonTO35, farmkid, jeffchance, Flowmaster, 356, pockets, martin08, adam01364, Mr Saturday Night Special

SCCY Gen1 receiver into a Gen2 grip frame

Postby adam01364 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:03 pm

I acquired a 1st Gen SCCY CPX-1 receiver a while back, and more recently a 2nd Gen CPX-2 grip frame. The frame pins are a larger diameter on the 1st Gen so I reached out to SCCY to see if I could purchase the correct pins and simply enlarge the holes on the grip frame to fit the pins. SCCY never got back to me.

I also posted on the SCCY forum asking if anyone had already done this. There were a couple of good suggestions, but nobody had created this exact Franken-SCCY.

I discovered I needed to relieve the receiver in order to accommodate the hook in the 2nd Gen trigger spring –which, compared to Cobra Patriot 9 and Keltec P11 trigger bar/spring, is arguably the best design out there.

So, like I said, having heard nothing back from SCCY, my next step was to go to Keltec’s website, and order the P11 frame pins (which are larger) from them –rolling the dice that they'd be the correct diameter for the SCCY CPX-1 receiver. They were. I then drilled out the grip frame to the appropriate (larger) pin diameter size, and relieved the receiver for the trigger bar spring. Reassembled everything, put on some Traction Grips while I was at it. Everything fits snug but it dry cycles just fine. Probably voided SCCY’s warranty in the process but I don't care.

I’ll be hitting the range in the next couple of days and will report back with success (or failure).

Minieldo will say "pix or it didn't happen", LOL. You can see the oversized pins in the frame. The slide looks like they got a little road rash. The whole deal -parts, frame, mag, plus shipping and FFL fees- ran me $129. It’s not purdy, but she'll go bang.

Image Image
adam01364
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Re: SCCY Gen1 receiver into a Gen2 grip frame

Postby 84minieldo » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:08 pm

Comin from the docs hands I'd bet money it'd go bang..just do me a favorand make sure it's not followed with an ouch, on the first one hold that thing way up and to the side to avoid a sheared slide to the face..
84minieldo
Zamak Hoarding Weirdo FORUM BENEFACTOR

Postby adam01364 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:44 pm

It's not a Zamak slide and the scratches are very superficial so I should be fine. Truth be told I'm very careful with the firearms I build up until they've proven themselves. I got a Titan GT28 slide in the face early on, learned my lesson well. ;)
Image Image
adam01364
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby Flowmaster » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:00 pm

Wow, nice work. You're out there doing stuff that really hasn't been done before.

I've never thought about getting a SCCY parts kit and putting one together with a frame from another gun. Was the parts kit from gunbusters or one of those other big outfits on gunbroker that breaks up police department guns and sells off the parts?
Flowmaster
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby adam01364 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:32 am

Yep, the parts kit was off a from Gunbusters auction (on Gunbroker). The receiver also was a Gunbroker auction, I came across it during a random search with a BIN of $19 :o

The Gen 1 & 2 SCCY receivers are the same, the only differences are frame pin diameters and a wee bit more machining on Gen 2 for the trigger hook.

It's interesting seeing the evolution of the guns derived from the Keltec P11 design. Some parts could be interchanged, but some cannot. For example, I was able to put a Keltec P11 trigger bar and spring in it in my Cobra Patriot 9 but when I looked to see if I could do that in the SCCY I discovered the spring was a no-go.

David Vincent did a pretty nice comparison; he prefers the P11:

David Vincent wrote:Of all the keltec p11 designs and clones the keltec is the best. I would direct you to the Sccy forum to read up on all the headaches people have with those guns. The frame/grip durability is the biggest issue keeping me away. That and the fact that sccy doesnt really like to sell parts unlike keltec where you can buy everything but the frame very cheap on their website.

Its a brilliant design and very easy to conceal for the amount of firepower it offers. the gun can take stock S&W mecgar 15 rounders with zero issues. They stick out a bit and dont have mag stops but the design is suck that over insertion not a possibility. The mecgar factory S&W mags are not only cheaper but also have a more stout mag spring to overcome the quick cycle time of the P11 design.

lots of holster options and a 22lr conversion kit is also available. honestly if you can get used to the trigger it is IMO one of the best guns out there for its size, weight and firepower. They are tops for a backup weapon to a smith and wesson third gen or daewoo dp51 as magazine interchangeability is 100%.

The biggest issue is the trigger. a true DAO with double strike capability (unlike most striker fired guns) but its tricky to shoot with.

now for all the other P11 clones out there are a few

Sccy
Cobra Patriot
Standard arms (discontinued)
Talon (dangerous zamak keltec hybrid)

with the sccy you have a history of issues that run the gambit. Many of which are major components such as slide, frame, barrel etc. etc. then there seems to be extraction revisions on a consistent basis. Then parts wear with little availability sometimes for spares to keep on hand. I am waiting for a gen3 model. The grip is quite a bit different in terms of feel for me and i dont really like it.

the standard arms guns were really crude knockoff of keltec with a two piece aluminum raw non annodized frame which would break apart. The slides are steel but crack in the front surface with to little material left between the hole for the barrel and hole for the recoil spring guide. The etraction is good if its set right as it has a double spring system. the gun is very very crude though and i would feel comfortable in saying it has a life expectancy well below 4-500 rounds. Most SNS guns will outperform the durability of this gun.

the talon guns were a little nicer looking than Standard arms but the major components were fragile. Slides made of Zamak that snapped and injured shooters. barrel where the under lug would sheer off. Frame of raw aluminum that would crack. the design itself was not bad but the materials were not strong enough.

Then comes the cobra patriot. The is where cobra bought the tooling from talon and built the gun with stronger materials. the result is a gun thats....OK. but they take some work sometimes. in fact most of the time. biggest two issues i have run into are extraction and light strikes. If you dont have a head for gunsmithing troubleshooting i would stay away. the parts themselves are better executed than keltecs. The assembly and tuneing of the weapon is non exhistent. customer support is a journey that requires both patience and discipline. Once the guns are dialed in they are pretty nice. Durability is solid but i have run into a cracked slide on the 9mm. There are two versions of the slide one cast and the other bar stock (the bar steel being the more durable). there is also a third slide design in development. These are actually my favorite of the clones but they are bigger and bulkier than keltecs. the design is the same and most minor parts interchange. the magazine quality is not that of mecgar but its not like a jimenez either.
Image Image
adam01364
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby adam01364 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:47 pm

Sooo, Range Report with interesting results.
I took my Cobra Patriot 9 and the SCCY out and put them thru their paces.
Comparatively speaking, the Cobra was uncomfortable to shoot vs. the SCCY; it was a big difference.

The FrankenSCCY trigger wouldn't reset unless I held the gun upside down. What's that all about? Wannabe Gangsta' gun?

Otherwise the SCCY was flawless. I want to make it my carry piece, but I don't want to have to stand on my head to make the trigger reset. Any thoughts?
Image Image
adam01364
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby Flowmaster » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:21 pm

Did you try holding it sideways while you're shooting it? While saying BLAT BLAT of course.

Check the trigger axis pin and the trigger bar. Maybe the trigger bar is a little bent or something? Who really knows, just a couple of things to check.
Flowmaster
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby adam01364 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:40 am

Going to try turning the trigger reset spring a full turn to give the trigger bar better tension. That. and crossing my fingers.
Image Image
adam01364
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby adam01364 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:23 pm

Turning the trigger reset spring a half turn did the trick.

Other good news: I heard from SCCY today, and they are sending me the pins as well as new mag bases for my Gen1 magazine since the Gen1 mag base won't fit into the Gen2 grip frame. Free.
Image Image
adam01364
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Return to Inexpensive guns that are not SNS, including Taurus, Charter, Kel-tec, Rossi......