Got a Savage Rascal for the Kids

Moderators: FergusonTO35, jeffchance, Flowmaster, 356, pockets, farmkid, adam01364, martin08, Mr Saturday Night Special

Got a Savage Rascal for the Kids

Postby FarmallB » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:23 pm

Well, black Friday I bought a Savage Rascal .22 for the kids. It is a youth size rifle, single shot, bolt action, and seems perfect for kids. I did some review on line and it seems like a well made and easy to operate rifle. Beings it was black friday, I got it for 79.99 at Dick's Sporting goods. ($50 gift card mail in rebate for the $129 price tag).

I've just cleaned it so far and will probably give it to my boys for Christmas. My boys are now 7 and 10 yrs old. We went to the family land shooting two weeks ago and they seem to both enjoy shooting the bb guns and the .22s. So it was a good excuse to get a youth sized rifle. I've always wanted one.

Now I'm trying to think of ways to make a foldable stock for it. So far I've snooped around a little online but no ideas yet.
FarmallB
Hardcore

Re: Got a Savage Rascal for the Kids

Postby Flowmaster » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:23 am

Those guns look like a lot of fun and they're very lightweight.

The front sight is plastic and may break. We had a pink Savage Rascal at the gun show that got bumped around a few times getting packed up and going from one gun show to the next. The front sight broke where the screw goes through it.

If you did a folding stock, it may be too short to be legal and may put it in SBR (short barreled rifle) territory. I just looked up the Savage Rsacal and its 31 1/2 inches overall length and needs to be at least 26 inches to be legal. You could still do a folding stock, just don't take too much off the buttstock. Somebody online must make or sell hinges designed for people to do their own folding stock projects.
Flowmaster
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby adam01364 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:33 pm

Flowmaster wrote:If you did a folding stock, it may be too short to be legal and may put it in SBR (short barreled rifle) territory. I just looked up the Savage Rsacal and its 31 1/2 inches overall length and needs to be at least 26 inches to be legal. You could still do a folding stock, just don't take too much off the buttstock.

^^^This^^^
Image Image
adam01364
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby Erich » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:19 pm

I like mine a good bit. Had an adult-sized stock made up for it, and use it as a take-down pack/back-of-the-truck rifle. With that Accu-Trigger, it shoots way better than it has any right to do. 8-) And I mounted a Burris FastFire II on it . . . it's just a blast to shoot.

Good choice for your kids - accurate and easy to shoot guns make people want to keep at it! :)
Erich
GUN NUT!

Postby FarmallB » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:55 pm

Erich, that is nice.

Well, the boys have shot the rifle a few times and will easily shoot though a box of 50 like that. They are really enjoying it. It's pretty accurate out of the box, but I have'nt been able to sit down and take time to really site it in.

I made a walnut box for it that is perfect size. I'm also thinking of making my own stock for it with walnut or maple. The plastic stock is great but I'm a sucker for wood and guns that don't look so modern.
FarmallB
Hardcore

Postby Flowmaster » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:40 am

Erich, now that is cool.
Flowmaster
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby FarmallB » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:08 am

What material is that stock made out of? Does it still use the factory Allen-head bolts to hold the stock on?
FarmallB
Hardcore

Postby FergusonTO35 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:21 pm

My understanding is that ATF considers the overall length to be with the folding stock fully extended. I've always been a fan of simple firearms that work well, it wouldn't be any special trick to make a larger centerfire version. A medium pressure cartridge like .30-30, .44 Magnum, or .45-70 would be totally doable and retail under $200.00. My best friend had a Western Auto bolt action single shot .410 shotgun when he was a kid, it was a good shooter.
"If magic is to be defined as the use of ineffective means to allay anxiety when effective ones are not available, then we must conclude that no society will ever be completely free from it." -Keith Thomas, Religion and the Decline of Magic, 1971.
FergusonTO35
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby FarmallB » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:25 pm

Well, we still love the savage rascal. I'm on a kick to make a wooden stock for it. I'll probably make its profile pretty close to what the factory has provided. I'm a cabinet maker professionally so I have easy access to all the tools for the job. Now I just have to find the time.
FarmallB
Hardcore

Postby FergusonTO35 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:32 pm

I bet you could sell a bunch of adult size stocks for that rifle, also the Cricket. I wouldn't mind keeping one loaded with subsonics in my tool box for popping moles in the back yard.
"If magic is to be defined as the use of ineffective means to allay anxiety when effective ones are not available, then we must conclude that no society will ever be completely free from it." -Keith Thomas, Religion and the Decline of Magic, 1971.
FergusonTO35
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Return to Inexpensive guns that are not SNS, including Taurus, Charter, Kel-tec, Rossi......