Another Kel-Tec on the way

Moderators: FergusonTO35, jeffchance, Flowmaster, 356, pockets, farmkid, adam01364, martin08, Mr Saturday Night Special

Re: Another Kel-Tec on the way

Postby jeffchance » Wed May 02, 2018 9:33 pm

I was looking at my shooting logbook today and saw that Nadine's JA-32 has a grand total of 58 rounds out of it.
Going to have to do something about that. ;)
JEFF
01 FFL
Certified Glock Armorer
www.jandnguns.com
SEMPER FI
jeffchance
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby FergusonTO35 » Thu May 03, 2018 7:27 am

Yeah, you better do something about that! I have some lead bullets to share if you are interested.

I rolled up some loads with 1.6-1.8 grains of Clays and a 71 grain Remington FMJ last night, hopefully I can give them a try after work. The Kel-Tec P32 is just an amazing pistol to me. 7 rounds of .32 Auto in the same size or less than most .25's minus all the weirdness associated with Seecamp.
"If magic is to be defined as the use of ineffective means to allay anxiety when effective ones are not available, then we must conclude that no society will ever be completely free from it." -Keith Thomas, Religion and the Decline of Magic, 1971.
FergusonTO35
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby jeffchance » Thu May 03, 2018 10:04 pm

Thanks for the offer but got a bunch of lead pills shortly after we got the pistol.
That's all it has ever had thru it.
Got them from Rim Rock Bullets.
https://rimrockbullets.com/xcart/
JEFF
01 FFL
Certified Glock Armorer
www.jandnguns.com
SEMPER FI
jeffchance
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby FergusonTO35 » Fri May 04, 2018 5:39 pm

Sounds good. My mold from Accurate Molds produces the same bullet. Berry's also has a plated bullet for the .32 Auto now so I'm going to try that one as well.

I have a bunch of Remington 71 grain FMJ so that is what I am using right now. I rolled up some loads with 1.9 and 2.0 grains of Clays in Fiocchi 7.65 brass today. The only data I've ever seen for Clays is 1.5-1.7 grains at 15k CUP in a really old Lee manual. I've already tried up to 1.8 grains and it was very mild, no signs of pressure at all. I would like to get a consistent 800 fps across the chronograph, which would fall between sedate domestic .32 Auto ammo and stout European 7.65 Browning. At this velocity an FMJ or hard lead bullet should penetrate a bad guy no problem.
"If magic is to be defined as the use of ineffective means to allay anxiety when effective ones are not available, then we must conclude that no society will ever be completely free from it." -Keith Thomas, Religion and the Decline of Magic, 1971.
FergusonTO35
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby FergusonTO35 » Mon May 14, 2018 8:52 am

Gave the P32 some exercise this weekend. It shoots just fine and seems as accurate as any other tiny gun I've ever had. There are two modifications I am going to do before I put it in the rotation. First of all, the trigger has alot of overtravel after the hammer is released. This causes me to shoot low. On this design it is a pretty easy fix. The back of the trigger bar has an L shaped bend, which serves as the sear and engages the bottom of the hammer. By carefully shortening the forward edge of this part, you effectively cause the hammer to release later in the trigger pull thereby reducing overtravel. I'm going to modify it until it has a similar release to a double action revolver, which I am quite accustomed to. The hammer is held back in a partially cocked position by the hammer block, not the trigger bar, so this modification does not affect the safety of the design.

I'm also going to shorten the ejector blade until the cases land about 3-4' away, instead of 8-12 feet. This si just a matter of filing down the forward edge of the ejector until it ejects the way I want it to.
FergusonTO35
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby FergusonTO35 » Thu May 31, 2018 7:06 am

On the P32, I think I have found a fairly effective way to reduce the overtravel. Using Bondo plastic metal body filler, I built up a little ridge behind the trigger, effectively extending the grip frame forward into the trigger guard. This stuff comes in a squeeze tube for like $5.00, is pretty hard, and sticks to plastic well. After it dried, I trimmed it down to the point that the trigger breaks with a wee bit of overtravel. Haven't test fired yet but the muzzle doesn't dip down when the trigger breaks in dry firing, at least that I can tell. Hopefully I can try it out soon.
FergusonTO35
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Previous

Return to Inexpensive guns that are not SNS, including Taurus, Charter, Kel-tec, Rossi......