Iver Johnson Cattleman .22 lr

Moderators: FergusonTO35, jeffchance, Flowmaster, 356, pockets, farmkid, adam01364, martin08, Mr Saturday Night Special

Iver Johnson Cattleman .22 lr

Postby nwmousegunner » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:55 pm

I acquired this gun a few months back and I have not found much information on it. Top of the barrel is marked CATTLEMAN - 22. The left side of the barrel has A.UBERTI & C. GARDONE VT ITALY. Left side of frame is is IVER JOHNSON'S top line and FITCHBURG MASS - U.S.A. bottom line. The serial number is on the bottom of the barrel,above the cylinder pin. It has proof marks on the rear of the barrel near the frame and on the frame above the trigger guard. The hammer is blued and polished on the flats. The barrel is five and a half inches long and has a ramp front sight,with a red insert. The barrel and cylinder are blued the frame is color case hardend, the grip frame is brass. It has an adjustable rear sight and seems to be accurate. I am familiar with Uberti as I have a Cattleman in 357. I did not know that they made any for Iver Johnson. What little information I have was that Iver Johnson imported them in the late 70's maybe early 80's. The gun seem to be of good quality and well made as to fit and finish. I have never seen one before and I am curios as to how common they are. I am aware that Uberti currently offers a similar model. Do any of you guys have one and what do you think of them.
nwmousegunner
GUN NUT!

Re: Iver Johnson Cattleman .22 lr

Postby adam01364 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:23 am

Not much info in Bill Goforth's book on Iver Johnson (i.e. nothing about the revolver being an Uberti import).

On Page 197 of the book there is a poor quality B&W picture with some basic specs.; and on Page 212 there's a little bit more info (but really not much).

Here's what Goforth wrote -verbatim- on page 212:
IJ CATTLEMAN TRAILBLAZER 1973 - 1978/79
The Trailblazer is built on a small frame approx. 7/8 size of the larger frame centerfire models. It is single action solid frame; rod ejection; .22 rimfire and .22 Magnum calibers; 5 1/2" and 6 1/2" barrel lengths; grips one-piece European walnut; adjustable sights; brass grip frame; case-hardened frame and blue barrel and cylinder; overall length 5 1/2" barrel 10 3/4" and 6 1/2" barrel 11 3/4"; weight with 5 1/2" barrel 38 ounces, and 40 ounces with 6 1/2" barrel; features automatic hammer block safety.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
Image Image
adam01364
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Re: Iver Johnson Cattleman .22 lr

Postby nwmousegunner » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:00 pm

Adam thank you for your interest and response. I was able to determine through Italian proof marks that mine was proofed in 1975, so that is probably the year of manufacture. I like mine and as I said the fit and finish is good and accuracy is ok. My questions were because I had never seen one and I was curious if any other members had any experience with the Iver Johnson version. Dave
nwmousegunner
GUN NUT!

Return to Inexpensive guns that are not SNS, including Taurus, Charter, Kel-tec, Rossi......