Charter Opinions?

Moderators: FergusonTO35, jeffchance, Flowmaster, 356, pockets, farmkid, adam01364, martin08, Mr Saturday Night Special

Charter Opinions?

Postby Whiterook » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:32 am

As I look at my collection I realize one of the 'practical' holes I can fill is a compact .22 revolver. I have a few for plinking but not any I can really use for hiking/camping or trail use. The Charter Arms 2 inch pathfinder seems to be the only real choice. I'd love to buy a Smith but don't really want to drop that much money into this.

That being said, new Charters aren't exactly cheap. Looks like I'd probably be able to get one for $350 out the door, new. How is the quality? Being this is a .22 I'll shoot it a lot, so it needs to keep time.

Ideally i want a revolver so I can use shorts and quiet rounds.

Also looking at their Undercoverette in .32 HR...I just like .32.

Another option would be the small Taurus .22 autos with tip up barrel. Thoughts??
Whiterook
Gunslinger

Re: Charter Opinions?

Postby Flowmaster » Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:07 pm

I'd also look at Taurus and Rossi revolvers. They both make 22 revolvers but they are probably a little bigger. I know what you mean about the price of the S&W kit guns like the 317 and the 63. They're J-frame guns which would be super handy but have a little longer barrels than your usual snub 38 J-frames. I wish I could bring myself to spend $700 on a 22 revolver.

Charter is OK, it seems to be grouped in the same category as Taurus or even a notch up by some buyers because its American made. Taurus may make a better product in some of their offerings, but many consumers consider American products to be more highly regarded just because they're American. I've got a friend with a Charter 22 and we've both shot that gun a bunch and it juts keeps on running. He got it used too so who knows how many rounds it had through it. Its model 72224 and its at Bud's Gun Shop right now for $317 with free shipping to your dealer. Tack on your FFL's transfer fee and you're probably out the door a little under $350. My friend's functions fine but the finish quality and rollmarks aren't amazing. Its OK, but you can tell that its a rather budget item and not to be held to the same quality standards as a Smith & Wesson. Really, it is what it is: inexpensive and just fine.

I had one of the Taurus PT22s and it wasn't great. Its the only gun I ever owned that would eject live rounds while shooting. I'd load it with 7 shots, shoot 5 shots, and be left with an empty magazine and 2 live rounds on the floor at the firing range. It was very strange. Mine had a plastic recoil buffer much like the one shown in this forum post over on taurus armed. https://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/pt92 ... ide-2.html which is a consumable part. Mine broke on it's second range trip. The PT22 has no extractor, just an ejector. So there is nothing physically clawing the shell casing out of the chamber. It is just expected to slide out so the chamber has to be clean for that to happen. Mine worked OK on minimags and surprisingly reliable with CCI 22 shotshells but not much else. The trigger is a really long double action only trigger which is a unique sensation to put that kind of muscle into squeezing off a round, only to be greeted with the recoil and sound of a 22. The way you've gotta pull through it makes you think you're lighting off something a whole lot bigger than a 22. I got it because it was pretty and it was cheap at $189 brand new years ago. Maybe the newer version with the poly frame is a better gun than mine was, they are now making one called the PT22PLY with a wider/fuller grip.

I know Adam has at least 1 of them. He did a parts gun frame build up on one, maybe it was the 25acp variant though.
Flowmaster
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby Whiterook » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:34 am

Thanks for the info. Still deciding, but I dont think I'll buy a Charter new. $350 seems like a lot for what you end up getting. I'll try and find one new or an old H&R snubbie. I do have a NEF 922r .22 revolver but the barrel on that is just too long for what I want to do with it. Great on the range though or showing a new shooter.

It is kind of a shame that little trail .22 Revolvers are tough to find cheaply. I really want the ability to shoot subsonic and .22 short rounds. I know .22 autos are a dime a dozen but I really think the .22lr is best for revolvers(of course I have a few .22 autos). If Rock Island or EAA could make one around $200 or $250 they'd sell a ton. Or even if NAA made a slightly larger one.

Also, I love the idea of a single shot pistol for almost anything other than defense. Maybe I am simple, but a compact, lightweight single shot .22lr with a 3 inch barrel, decent sights...sounds like a winner to me.
Whiterook
Gunslinger

Postby Flowmaster » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:27 am

Have you thought about a single action 22? There are a lot of offerings from Heritage Manufacturing that are around $175 brand new, definitely under $200 including shipping and FFL when buying online. I've got a Heritage Rough Rider and its a lot of fun. Its no Single Six, but it does the job.
Flowmaster
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby Whiterook » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:09 am

I have. I've actually been looking that those. I would be looking for the model with the birdshead grips and the 3.5 inch barrel. Haven't see any in stock yet.
Whiterook
Gunslinger

Postby nwmousegunner » Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:38 pm

I can't help you with Rossi or Charter. I have a Taurus PT22 that I have shot a couple of hundred rounds through. It has a larger grip than most pocket pistols, but it feels good in my hand.Close range accuracy is good enough for head shots on varmints. I have shot armadillos and cottonmouths with mine. I also like the Iver Johnson P22 that is a clone of the Walther TPH. I have read mostly good reviews of the Rough Rider, but have had no personal experience with one.
nwmousegunner
GUN NUT!

Postby adam01364 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:08 pm

The PT22 that I built from parts is problematic. Not sure if it's because it was built from parts, or what. Sometimes it fires and ejects, and sometimes not.
Like nwmousegunner, I've got an Iver Johnson TP22 that works 100% of the time, which makes it a LOT more fun to plink with.
BUT...
I also have a Charter Arms Pathfinder snubbie in .22mag, that I sent back to Charter to have fitted with a .22LR cylinder. Swapping the cylinder is a bit of a pain in the butt, but very doable. It's a whole lot of fun. However, it's only a six shooter. I'd love to get my hands on a short barreled H&R 922. They are around here in mAss, just haven't found one at the right price at the right time.

<EDIT> I know this is about Charters but we drifted into semi-autos and as long as we are talking about semi-autos, I have to put a plug in for the Sterling 302 .22 pistol. I have two of them (one that a LGS practically gave away to me, and one I built from parts) and while they are ammo picky (mine prefer CCI Minimags and Remington Thunderbolts) once I fed them the correct diet they were reliable and a LOT of fun.
Image Image
adam01364
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Return to Inexpensive guns that are not SNS, including Taurus, Charter, Kel-tec, Rossi......