PT-22PLY a great purchase... so far

Moderators: FergusonTO35, jeffchance, Flowmaster, 356, pockets, farmkid, adam01364, martin08, Mr Saturday Night Special

PT-22PLY a great purchase... so far

Postby bumthum » Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:43 pm

I bought a PT-22PLY a few weeks ago and finally got to shoot it today. I put about 150rds of CCI Blazer through it with only three real malfunctions, one was a solid primer hit that didn't set off the round. Rotating the round 180 degrees and retrying worked, so I assume bad priming. Another was a failure to chamber, but when I tried to manually put the round into the chamber it didn't fit, so probably an out of spec round. The final failure was a failure to eject, since it was the only one I really don't know what caused it. Still not bad for a .22 pistol that hasn't broken in yet.

It went through some CCI high velocity, 21 grain copper small game rounds with zero hiccups. Pretty accurate with them too, just off hand into a soda can.

Overall, I'm impressed for the money. I'm not sure if they all perform like mine, but I would recommend one based on my experience.
bumthum
Hardcore

Re: PT-22PLY a great purchase... so far

Postby Flowmaster » Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:54 am

I'm glad its working out for you so far.

Did Taurus stop making their 25s when they came out with the poly line of tip up guns?

They're cool looking guns, I just haven't seen any used ones for cheap.
Flowmaster
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby bumthum » Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:41 am

The 25PLY is mentioned in their literature, but none of my local shops carry anything .25 anymore. I have to get my Ravens from Gunbroker these days.
bumthum
Hardcore

Postby nwmousegunner » Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:40 am

My experience has been limited to only one Taurus. I have a PT22 with an alloy frame and rosewood grips. Mine was purchased before the poly model was available. It has been reliable with any high speed ammo I have tried in it. I like the grips as they are nice looking and fit my hand, although they are a little large for pocket carry. I use mine mostly for practice as my daily carry is a double action only 9 mm pocket pistol. Based on my experience I would give the PT22 a good recommendation. Everything I have read about the poly framed model has been positive. I think you will have many years of enjoyment.
nwmousegunner
GUN NUT!

Postby bumthum » Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:43 am

nwmousegunner wrote:My experience has been limited to only one Taurus. I have a PT22 with an alloy frame and rosewood grips. Mine was purchased before the poly model was available. It has been reliable with any high speed ammo I have tried in it. I like the grips as they are nice looking and fit my hand, although they are a little large for pocket carry. I use mine mostly for practice as my daily carry is a double action only 9 mm pocket pistol. Based on my experience I would give the PT22 a good recommendation. Everything I have read about the poly framed model has been positive. I think you will have many years of enjoyment.

Thanks! The PLY model has an even more full grip than the alloy frame models, as such, I think it would be even worse for pocket carry (I stash an LCP for pocket carry and for when I run). I think my main compliant about the PLY and this might apply to the original PT-22 as well, but I have never fired one of those, is the very long and heavy DAO trigger. Before I got any range time with it I thought it might be a good plinker to train my kids on, but now I'm thinking of looking into some of the other .22 LR pistol options like the SR22 (I know its trigger isn't perfect, but the ones I've felt were much better than my PLY). I wouldn't rate the PLY trigger as being in the VZ/CZ-50 range of heavy, but it's a bit much for my younger kids to enjoy, even with the heavily rounded trigger surface. It's still really fun to shoot, but probably much more so as an adult male than for people with smaller and less strong hands. I'm happy with the purchase though.
bumthum
Hardcore

Return to Inexpensive guns that are not SNS, including Taurus, Charter, Kel-tec, Rossi......