Got me a Rossi 461

Moderators: FergusonTO35, jeffchance, Flowmaster, 356, pockets, farmkid, adam01364, martin08, Mr Saturday Night Special

Re: Got me a Rossi 461

Postby FergusonTO35 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:34 am

My bad, for some reason I thought you did have one. I'm all about linoleum flooring. Easy to clean, rugged, kid proof; everything I could ask for. I don't care for carpet except in the bedroom and I absolutely despise hardwood flooring, that stuff is for cute show houses that real people don't live in. Laminate is ok though.
"If magic is to be defined as the use of ineffective means to allay anxiety when effective ones are not available, then we must conclude that no society will ever be completely free from it." -Keith Thomas, Religion and the Decline of Magic, 1971.
FergusonTO35
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby FergusonTO35 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:14 pm

Got the Pachmayrs today, they are an immediate upgrade in both comfort and looks. I think they give the 461 a classy Colt DSIV or Ruger Speed Six look:

"If magic is to be defined as the use of ineffective means to allay anxiety when effective ones are not available, then we must conclude that no society will ever be completely free from it." -Keith Thomas, Religion and the Decline of Magic, 1971.
FergusonTO35
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby FergusonTO35 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:59 pm

Shot the Rossi more today after work with the same load, 3.2 grains 700X/150 grain LSWC. Resting my elbows on an overturned bucket, this revolver makes nice tight groups that are dead on as far as windage goes. They are on average 2" high at 10 yards though. I'm thinking that the sights were intended for 125 grain slugs which are commonly used in .357 Magnum as well as defensive .38 Special ammo. With my S&W 10-5 the opposite is true: dead on with 150-160 grain slugs, 2" low with the 125's. I poured a bunch of Lee 358-125-RF to try in it. I hope it likes these because I already use bunches in my Marlin 1894C and 9mm's.
FergusonTO35
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby FergusonTO35 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:28 am

Tried out the Lee 358-125-RF slugs yesterday and they were right on the money, at least at 20 feet. They seemed to group tighter too, although this is probably more just me getting used to the gun. I went ahead and poured a bunch of them for it, hopefully I can add the Rossi to my carry rotation by the time cooler weather arrives. If all the current Rossi revolvers are as nice as this one then they are a diamond in the rough indeed!
FergusonTO35
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby FergusonTO35 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:23 am

Still shooting the Rossi with Lee 358-125-RF bullets. This gun really likes them, I think this is the bullet weight Rossi had in mind for it. Only problem is they demand more powder than the heavier slugs due to less weight and more empty space in the shell. Loads which produce 850 fps with a 158 grain bullet actually chronograph slower with the 130 grain lead bullet, I think due to lower pressure. I'm going to try 3.9 grains of Bullseye next, a full 1/2 grain heavier than my usual 158 grain load.
FergusonTO35
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby jeffchance » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:50 am

I load 3.6 of BE with the 158's, 4.3 of BE with the 125's, and 4.5 of BE with a 110 JHP for Nadine's S&W 36. They all work well but have not chrono'd them yet.
There is sure lots of "extra" space in the cases after putting the powder in.
JEFF
01 FFL
Certified Glock Armorer
www.jandnguns.com
SEMPER FI
jeffchance
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby FergusonTO35 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:54 pm

Finally got the chamce to do some more shooting with the 461 today. I discovered the revolver really likes my 146 grain SWC slugs with Bullseye powder.These bullets are from a Lee C358-158-SWC that I had modified by a machinist on the Cast Boolits forum. He milled off the top of the mold where the gas check shank is, now it drops plain base 146 grain slugs. I tried 3.4 and 3.8 grains Bullseye and got excellent accuracy just slight above POA at 20 feet. The 3.8's didn't produce much more recoil than the 3.4's and accuracy was the same. The Pachmayr Compac grips really help keep the revolver under control, Rossi should make them standard.

So far I really like this revolver and I'm very glad I bought it.
FergusonTO35
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby David Vincent » Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:06 pm

I like it. nice simple carry package.

I have those grips on my undercover. They are my favorite for snub nosed and smaller frames revolvers.

I dont have a rossi yet. may have to give one a try if the country doesnt burn down.

I trust the reviews on this forum more than others. Minds are a bit more open here and i think most of us are used to having guns that dont work and getting the kinks out.
David Vincent
600+ Rounds Club.Zamak Hoarding Weird++

Postby FergusonTO35 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:11 am

The current Rossi revolvers seem to be quite good for the money. Really, I can't tell any difference in quality between this one and my Ruger and S&W revolvers. Parts fitment is excellent, trigger pull is great, and the 461 is more accurate than I can hold. It even has a fairly handsome gloss blue finish. Of course, I can't say the 461 is truly as good as the domestics until several years and thousands of rounds have gone by but so far it looks promising. My understanding is that the 461 and 462 usually sell new for $300.00 or less, a bargain indeed.
FergusonTO35
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby FergusonTO35 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:11 pm

Very few makers actually list a holster for the 461. I found a new Triple K leather thumbsnap holster for the Ruger SP-101 with 3" barrel on Fleabay for $20.00 so I decided to try it, seeing how close in size these guns are. I'm happy to report that this holster seems to fit well. It is as stiff as a board and the thumbsnap could stand to be about 1/8" longer but I think it will break in just fine. I soaked it in silicone spray and shoved the revolver in there as hard as I could a few times, I could feel the leather stretching as I did so. I'll store the gun and holster together for awhile to let them get used to each other.
FergusonTO35
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

PreviousNext

Return to Inexpensive guns that are not SNS, including Taurus, Charter, Kel-tec, Rossi......