New to me Charter Arms Undercover on the way

Moderators: FergusonTO35, jeffchance, Flowmaster, 356, pockets, farmkid, adam01364, martin08, Mr Saturday Night Special

Re: New to me Charter Arms Undercover on the way

Postby adam01364 » Thu May 11, 2017 10:09 am

Stephen Camp passed away in 2011 at age 59 from a brain aneurysm. His website http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com was active for a few years, but when I tried it just now it wasn't working.
Image Image
adam01364
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby FergusonTO35 » Fri May 12, 2017 8:24 pm

That's sad to hear. I accessed his website just a couple of days ago so someone must be keeping it going.

Update on the Undercover. The seller contacted me and said that even with the new part it still wasn't working well. He offered to instead sell me another Undercover he had in stock for $100.00 free shipping. So yeah, bring it on I told him. He sent me some pics of it. Overall it looks about the same except it has Stratford instead of Bridgeport on the barrel and the serial number is 3491xx so it is a lot newer. The delay sucks but the seller seems to be really trying to make me happy so it's all good.
"If magic is to be defined as the use of ineffective means to allay anxiety when effective ones are not available, then we must conclude that no society will ever be completely free from it." -Keith Thomas, Religion and the Decline of Magic, 1971.
FergusonTO35
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby adam01364 » Sat May 13, 2017 7:25 am

Hmmm. Wonder what they'd sell the first one for "as-is"?
Image Image
adam01364
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby 84minieldo » Sat May 13, 2017 9:16 am

adam01364 wrote:Hmmm. Wonder what they'd sell the first one for "as-is"?

kinda of dissappointed this wasnt already/immediately asked by u ferg...adam woulda ended up with both of em...
84minieldo
Zamak Hoarding Weirdo FORUM BENEFACTOR

Postby FergusonTO35 » Sat May 13, 2017 9:17 pm

I did ask him and he said he is planning to part it out. He might be willing to sell it as a project gun, his e-mail is LAJR11@aol.com.
"If magic is to be defined as the use of ineffective means to allay anxiety when effective ones are not available, then we must conclude that no society will ever be completely free from it." -Keith Thomas, Religion and the Decline of Magic, 1971.
FergusonTO35
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby adam01364 » Sun May 14, 2017 6:37 am

I pinged him and told him I was interested in it "as-is". Charter will refurb the older Non-Shelton revolvers (Bridgeport, Charco, etc.) for $49 plus whatever the parts cost.
Image Image
adam01364
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby FergusonTO35 » Sun May 14, 2017 11:57 am

This one looks like a good candidate. Might just need a good cleaning and some oil, these revolvers usually don't receive very good care.
FergusonTO35
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby FergusonTO35 » Fri May 19, 2017 8:45 am

The Undercover showed up at the fun store yesterday and I picked it up. I'm glad that he didn't sell me the first one. This Undercover must have been fired very little, the action is quite tight and there is only a ghost of a turn ring on the cylinder. The finish has a fair amount of wear and surface rust, I would surmise this Undercover was somebody's glove box or fishing gun for a long time. Very happy with it for $125.00 total, pics and range report coming soon.
FergusonTO35
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby FergusonTO35 » Tue May 23, 2017 10:17 am

I cleaned up the Undercover and absolutely soaked the internals in oil last night. I really doubt this thing has received any care in it's entire life, fortunately I doubt it was ever fired much either. Everything about it is super tight mechanically, the more I dry fire the better the trigger pull gets. I popped off a few rounds of 3.1 grains Bullseye/148 grain Lyman wadcutter this morning before work. All went bang and were somewhat close to point of aim, I forgot my glasses so it will be awhile before the true accuracy potential is revealed. I'm also going to try a set of Bulldog grips in place of the skinny wood panels as there isn't much to hold on to. I wish Pachmayr would make the excellent Compac Pro for the Undercover. My S&W 637 wears this grip and it is super comfortable to shoot and still conceals well. They make the standard Compac for the Undercover but that one is pretty large.
FergusonTO35
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby FergusonTO35 » Thu May 25, 2017 10:06 pm

Shot the Undercover some more today. Had a fair number of light strikes with some ammo using CCI primers rather than the soft Federals I had used previously. On a hunch I swapped out the hammer spring with a new/used one from my gun junkyard. The light strikes then went away in single action, still had a few in double action. All my other revolvers fire this lot of CCI primers just fine. Maybe I need an actual new hammer spring, or perhaps the mechanism is just really stiff from being neglected and unfired.

The revolver does shoot to the left about two inches at 5 yards. To be sure, I tried the same ammo in my Rossi 461 and it was dead on. Examining the revolver, I notice the front sight is canted to the right ever so slightly which can certainly cause this to happen. I'll probably see if I can resolve the light strikes, then send it to Charter for the barrel fix.
FergusonTO35
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

PreviousNext

Return to Inexpensive guns that are not SNS, including Taurus, Charter, Kel-tec, Rossi......