Taurus 85 replaced by 856?

Moderators: FergusonTO35, jeffchance, Flowmaster, 356, pockets, farmkid, adam01364, martin08, Mr Saturday Night Special

Taurus 85 replaced by 856?

Postby FergusonTO35 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:01 am

I saw that Taurus has brought back the 856 six shot snubby, so I called up the fun store to order one. He said they haven't showed up at his distributor yet but he will get me one as soon as they do. He also told me that the 85 five shot has been discontinued for a month now. Anybody else heard about this? I always thought the 85 was rather bulky for a five shooter but I am looking forward to the 856.
"If magic is to be defined as the use of ineffective means to allay anxiety when effective ones are not available, then we must conclude that no society will ever be completely free from it." -Keith Thomas, Religion and the Decline of Magic, 1971.
FergusonTO35
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Re: Taurus 85 replaced by 856?

Postby Flowmaster » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:02 pm

The Taurus 85 is still the J-frame knockoff of choice by many. I just can't fathom why they would walk away from a product that still sells. The research and development for that gun was probably absorbed decades ago so why would they abandon it? It just wouldn't make sense unless they wanted to really push their poly frame revolvers like the Poly Protector which for me doesn't sell as well as the all metal Taurus 85.
Flowmaster
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Re: Taurus 85 replaced by 856?

Postby FergusonTO35 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:30 am

As far as tiny revolvers go, I think S&W still has the 85 beat. The J frame is still smaller and weighs less. Now, there is a real dearth of six shot snubbies nowadays, neither Ruger or S&W make them. Charter Arms, Armscor, and most recently Colt do make them however these brands don't have nearly as much market penetration as Taurus. I told my dealer to order me one in stainless, hopefully it will show up soon.
"If magic is to be defined as the use of ineffective means to allay anxiety when effective ones are not available, then we must conclude that no society will ever be completely free from it." -Keith Thomas, Religion and the Decline of Magic, 1971.
FergusonTO35
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Return to Inexpensive guns that are not SNS, including Taurus, Charter, Kel-tec, Rossi......