Question For FFL holders

Please remember to thank Pockets our "Gun Tech Guru" for creating the Gun Tech forum.

Moderators: FergusonTO35, farmkid, jeffchance, Flowmaster, 356, pockets, martin08, adam01364, Mr Saturday Night Special

Re: Question For FFL holders

Postby bitsman » Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:03 pm

LCPfraTN wrote:I would be cautious about buying a complete lower with a stock and then purchasing a pistol upper. If you don't have a lower without a stock on it at the time you acquire the pistol upper, the ATF could determine that you have a SBR without the appropriate license and tax stamp fees paid. I'd buy a stripped lower and parts kit or a lower with just a smooth buffer tube (a pistol lower) to be on the safe side. Obviously, Jeff and Mr SNS are more knowledgable than I am, but I've relied on guidance from guys that build a lot of ARs and the golden rule is to always make it a pistol first so there is never any question about a SBR. I usually keep a few stripped lowers and parts kits around, and I also have a dedicated pistol lower so there can never be any question about whether or not I have a SBR.

Yes... I will have my lower in hand.. in the configurations I intend to use (pistol buffer tube installed).. BEFORE I buy the upper I want... I have a pistol tube already.. Just need a lower to attach it too... So I am thinking that when I start down this road I will buy a complete lower.. then change out the buffer tubes.. Give the rifle tube and butt stock to my nephew to keep at his house so that maybe someday turn that AR pistol into a SBR after getting all the proper paperwork... or sell it maybe... then buy the upper I want...

I figure every gun owner has run afoul of the ever changing gun regulations as handed down by our friends at the ATF at some point.. Its nearly impossible to stay informed of all the changes they make and when those changes go into effect... I also think that if a person gets charged with this kind of offense then that person was already on the AFT's radar for something else... So chances are they have bigger problems to deal with...
"You broke into my house, Stole my property, Murdered my Servants and my pets, And that is what GRIEVES me the most" Can you name the movie????

"Remember Ladies.... If you don't stand for something, You'll fall for anything..."
bitsman
FORUM BENEFACTOR 2016

Postby FergusonTO35 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:47 pm

The golden rule is, make sure you have a legal use for every part in your possession. I'm actually surprised at some of the things ATF permits. If I had never seen an AK "pistol" before I would think unregistered SBR given that it was not originally designed to be held and fired with one hand, in fact the complete opposite is true. Same for the lever action "pistols" from Henry and Rossi, which even have a small portion of buttstock with a plate still attached.
"If magic is to be defined as the use of ineffective means to allay anxiety when effective ones are not available, then we must conclude that no society will ever be completely free from it." -Keith Thomas, Religion and the Decline of Magic, 1971.
FergusonTO35
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby bitsman » Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:53 pm

Those "Ranch Hand" lever pistols are kinda neat... I have tossed around the idea of getting one in 44mag to use for hunting... 12 inch barrel would give good enough velocity and energy out to about 100 yards... From what I have read though accuracy is really miss or miss with these.. meaning 6 inches at 100 yards is doing good...
"You broke into my house, Stole my property, Murdered my Servants and my pets, And that is what GRIEVES me the most" Can you name the movie????

"Remember Ladies.... If you don't stand for something, You'll fall for anything..."
bitsman
FORUM BENEFACTOR 2016

Previous

Return to 'GUN TECH'. GUN TECH - Diagrams, Manuals, Catalogs, and Information Links