New procedure for FFL shipping via USPS?

CURRENT EVENTS.
Post in the CURRENT EVENTS forum should be post about events less then 2 months old. Older historic events should be posted in the CURRENT EVENTS new Historic sub-forum. Clicking on the CURRENT EVENTS header will lead you to both forum.

Moderators: FergusonTO35, jeffchance, Flowmaster, 356, pockets, farmkid, adam01364, martin08, Mr Saturday Night Special

New procedure for FFL shipping via USPS?

Postby FergusonTO35 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:54 pm

As mentioned in the thread about it, I took my Charter Arms Undercover to the fun store for shipping back to Charter for repair. My dealer printed the return postage and packaged up the gun as usual. However, this time he gave me the package along with a USPS form and told me to take it to the post office. The form is a declaration of sorts, stating that the shipper is an FFL licensee sending firearms and related articles out for repair. I took it to the post office and gave the form and package to the clerk. She just quickly read it, put a stamp on it, and said to have a nice day. Is this something new? I thought FFL's could just send handguns through the mail like any other articles. I was rather surprised he told me to bring it to the post office instead of it being picked up at the shop.
"If magic is to be defined as the use of ineffective means to allay anxiety when effective ones are not available, then we must conclude that no society will ever be completely free from it." -Keith Thomas, Religion and the Decline of Magic, 1971.
FergusonTO35
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Re: New procedure for FFL shipping via USPS?

Postby adam01364 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:39 pm

Nothing new AFAIK. My FFL has their paperwork "on file" at their local USPS.
Image Image
adam01364
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby jeffchance » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:20 am

It is called a 1508 Form, required by the Post Office.
Your dealer always has one per shipment, it's just that you were able to see it this time.
Most Post Offices know what it is and is not an issue. There are some, however that haven't a clue.
JEFF
01 FFL
Certified Glock Armorer
www.jandnguns.com
SEMPER FI
jeffchance
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby FergusonTO35 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:53 am

Ok, I see. I don't mind dropping it off, I've just never done that before. For long guns, I ship them myself with a copy of his FFL so they get sent back to the shop instead of my house.
"If magic is to be defined as the use of ineffective means to allay anxiety when effective ones are not available, then we must conclude that no society will ever be completely free from it." -Keith Thomas, Religion and the Decline of Magic, 1971.
FergusonTO35
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Return to CURRENT EVENTS. Post in this forum should be post about events less then 2 months old.