Renewed for another year

CURRENT EVENTS.
Post in the CURRENT EVENTS forum should be post about events less then 2 months old. Older historic events should be posted in the CURRENT EVENTS new Historic sub-forum. Clicking on the CURRENT EVENTS header will lead you to both forum.

Moderators: FergusonTO35, jeffchance, Flowmaster, 356, pockets, farmkid, adam01364, martin08, Mr Saturday Night Special

Renewed for another year

Postby adam01364 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:08 am

I just renewed our hosting agreement with GoDaddy for another year.

That being said, there are issues with this forum that I need help with. Last year when the hosting agreement wasn't renewed, the forum had to be recovered from backup. Not everything was retrieved, and there are a number of functions that remain broken.

I need someone who either knows, or can learn, the PHP forum software. As it stands right now, I cannot authorize any new members who wish to join the forum- which means membership can't grow; that's not good as #1) it frustrates someone who wants to join, #2) we cannot learn from the experiences others want to share with us and #3) it means eventually the forum will fade into oblivion.
Image Image
adam01364
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Re: Renewed for another year

Postby Papa G » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:04 am

Oh Man!!! That really sucks! :( I hope that some how the system can be adjusted to better doings. Bryco-Jennings-Jimenezarms.com is the best and only SNS site, also dealing with other handguns that others do not like. I love this site! :D
the Founding Fathers...the original T-party extremist's
Papa G
Zamak Hoarding Weirdo FORUM BENEFACTOR

Postby bumthum » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:52 pm

I know basically nothing about forum software. That said, is the issue with authorizing new members a stand alone problem, or is it directly tied to other problems? If it is a separate issue, maybe we can start researching possible solutions as a group and see what we come up with.
bumthum
Hardcore

Postby adam01364 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:01 pm

bumthum wrote:... is the issue with authorizing new members a stand alone problem, or is it directly tied to other problems?
Seems to be a stand alone problem. When a new member tries to create an account, the final verification action fails. Try setting up a new account and see what happens at the very end, you'll see the issue better than I can explain it.
Image Image
adam01364
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby bumthum » Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:30 am

When I tried I was never presented with an image with a code in it. Is that the problem other people are having?
bumthum
Hardcore

Postby bumthum » Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:50 am

Apparently the visual CAPTCHA authentication codes no longer work, due to them being compromised.

You may have tried this already, but this was a recommended solution to a similar registration problem. I'm not familiar with what your end of the software looks like, so I can't help with where these things are. Apparently you can go to the CAPTCHA settings under the "General" tab and change the setting to "Q&A" authentication. Then clear your browser cache and try a test registration.

Again, you may have already tried that, but I'm just running through any recommended work around to the registration problem.
bumthum
Hardcore

Postby adam01364 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:52 am

The forum doesn't have CAPTCHA authentication setting. Mr. SNS (and then I) would approve simply users. I got Mr. SNS to look at it and he couldn't figure it either. I suspect PHP had an update which didn't quite take given the number of functions that were broken after the recovery. At least that's my hunch.
Image Image
adam01364
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby bumthum » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:01 pm

Well if that is the case then I am getting another weird error when I try to create a test account. The registration page has several "CAPTCHA" related errors on the top, then at the bottom it requests that I type in a confirmation code to continue the registration, but it never presents a confirmation code to type in. I don't know what may be going on with any errors beyond that because I can't progress with a test registration beyond that point.
bumthum
Hardcore

Postby adam01364 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:04 am

Yep, that's where I hit the brick wall too.
Image Image
adam01364
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Return to CURRENT EVENTS. Post in this forum should be post about events less then 2 months old.