ATF

CURRENT EVENTS.
Post in the CURRENT EVENTS forum should be post about events less then 2 months old. Older historic events should be posted in the CURRENT EVENTS new Historic sub-forum. Clicking on the CURRENT EVENTS header will lead you to both forum.

Moderators: FergusonTO35, jeffchance, Flowmaster, 356, pockets, farmkid, adam01364, martin08, Mr Saturday Night Special

ATF

Postby Ohio06 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:28 pm

Hey guys just FYI I had a nice two hour visit from the ATF last week. my horrible crime was buying a lot ( 33 ) guns at once.Bryco, Jennings, RG ect. My winter project this year is to get them all running and refinished. Well I guess buying lots of cheap guns at once will earn you one visit complete with free lecture. Short story long, they went thru all my guns but was somewhat satisfied when all the cheapies were still in my possession. Im sure im a big blip on their radar now. Thr best part of this was when I showed them my sheriff star. The younger one shut up when I told him he was in 1st grade when I started !!!! So anyway I came away with the feeling that they track the cheap ones pretty close. Anyway, be carefull out there !
Ohio06
Ohio06
Gunslinger

Re: ATF

Postby Papa G » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:58 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: Oh my gosh, I am glad that they did not want to take you to the police building for more Aggravating questioning!!!
the Founding Fathers...the original T-party extremist's
Papa G
Zamak Hoarding Weirdo FORUM BENEFACTOR

Postby jeffchance » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:16 pm

I've heard of this happening before. Any purchase of over two handguns within 5 days will throw up a flag as the dealer who transfers them must submit a form to the ATF and local law enforcement. :evil:
Funny, though, you can buy multiple long guns without the report. :shock:
If you are in a southern border state, the rules change again. :evil:
I have a customer who got checked out after his purchase of 3 Ruger pistols. He is a Concealed Weapons License instructor and bought them for his classes.

JEFF
01 FFL
Certified Glock Armorer
www.jandnguns.com
SEMPER FI
jeffchance
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby farmkid » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:42 pm

I suspect, though I don't know, that the visit was triggered by the type of firearm rather than the number. As for three Rugers, that's ridiculous.
Lifetime member, Second Amendment Foundation
farmkid
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby Ohio06 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:00 pm

Yea farmkid is probably right. But I still enjoy my hobby, getting cheap guns to work ! I even have a sedco that runs great ! Still working on getting a lorcin 9mm going. Might not happen lol
Ohio06
Ohio06
Gunslinger

Postby Flowmaster » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:12 pm

I once bought a Hi Point C9 and a Heritage Rough Rider from the same FFL at the same gun show. That meant they had to fill out a 3310 form. I didn't get a visit from the ATF, but that was a good couple of guns for a multi purchase form.

A lot of guys at the gun shows know about the whole multi purchase reporting deal so they'll buy 3 handguns at the same gun show, but buy them all from 3 different dealers.

Somebody else here got a visit from the ATF, maybe like 8 years ago? I remember it was on the old forum before the big forum wipeout. I seem to remember somebody buying multiple Phoenix Arms pistols for all of his groomsmen. Maybe that was on this forum, maybe it was somewhere else, but it included an ATF visit.
Flowmaster
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby adam01364 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:35 am

I remember that Phoenix groomsman gift episode.

I also remember David Vincent saying he got a visit once.
adam01364
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby David Vincent » Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:53 pm

Once you get a "visit" your name is in the system and will pop up again later. If you only use one particular FFL they probably will be contacted and asked questions. They may even go into your FFL dealer and copy all of his transfers records that you are involved with. In other words... dont be suprised if they keep checking up on you every couple years. It was explained to me that when you are in the system you will probably pop up again periodically. Last time I got word I just called the ATF agent from before and asked them what was up.

It helps if you write down the agents contact info when they check you out and everything is legit. If there is an issue later you at least have an idea who to talk to.

This is not as rare as people think it is. I have run into lots of gun enthusiests that have been hassled for no reason whatsoever.

Question is .......... why have they been doing this?
David Vincent
600+ Rounds Club.Zamak Hoarding Weird++

Postby LCPfraTN » Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:54 pm

Back when I was buying a lot of pistols, including a lot of mouse guns, I never got a direct visit by the ATF, but my FFL dealer did, and they asked several questions about me. Fortunately, my dealer knew me well, and knew that I was a collector of a lot of different types of guns, and knew that I was working on building a mouse gun collection at that time. I also had my C&R license then, so I think they got satisfied that I wasn’t a supplier of cheap guns to the underworld.
LCPfraTN
700+ Rounds Club. Official Forum Gun Nut

Postby Dave_H » Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:30 pm

I never thought about it much. I have bought more than one gun at a time, but never two or more handguns. I did buy two of the same model roughrider's but I got the second one after I found out how much I liked the first. :lol:
When I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of the park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards. That's my policy.
Dave_H
GUN NUT!

Return to CURRENT EVENTS. Post in this forum should be post about events less then 2 months old.