GunBroker follies

CURRENT EVENTS.
Post in the CURRENT EVENTS forum should be post about events less then 2 months old. Older historic events should be posted in the CURRENT EVENTS new Historic sub-forum. Clicking on the CURRENT EVENTS header will lead you to both forum.

Moderators: FergusonTO35, jeffchance, Flowmaster, 356, pockets, farmkid, adam01364, martin08, Mr Saturday Night Special

GunBroker follies

Postby Dave_H » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:06 pm

Well, just browsing on GunBroker, like I used to do and saw an RG-10 with a buy it now of $220. Sweet Lord. I get that they're running a business and not a soup kitchen, but still, that's a tad optimistic.
When I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of the park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards. That's my policy.
Dave_H
GUN NUT!

Re: GunBroker follies

Postby Flowmaster » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:11 pm

You've got to wonder if people are actually serious or if they did a typo and meant to move a decimal point. There used to be an FFL in Pennsylvania a couple of years ago that had Davis derringers listed on Gunbroker for months on end at stupid high buy it now prices (like $300 each). I've even seen some people who have a lot of listings and all their prices are sky high. The way to really move stuff is to start it at a penny and let it run. I've sold a few hundred guns that way for my gun show boss and you're always guaranteed a sale, you just don't know how much it'll be.

I like to look at gunbroker to see what items have actually sold for recently. People can ask whatever they want, but it's good to see what other people have actually paid for similar items. You'll have to log in to see the prices, then go to "advanced" and go to "completed items". I then filter for guns only and search with the lowest price popping up first. I feel like this is the way people are looking up gun values more than using a printed guide like The Blue Book of Gun Values by Fjestad. It seems like as soon as Fjestad's book comes out, it may be out of date. There are certain swings in gun prices of certain items depending on availability. For example, I've seen some Sig 220s and stainless Berettas go for far more than book estimates. The only thing that book really has going for it is establishing a guide for grading firearm condition.
Flowmaster
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby Dave_H » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:12 am

I guess they are just throwing spaghetti at the wall to see what sticks. There's a pretty well known gun shop in my town that had chronically high prices, any time I went in. They've stayed in business for decades, so someone must have been buying from them.
When I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of the park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards. That's my policy.
Dave_H
GUN NUT!

Postby farmkid » Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:31 am

There will always be flimflammers and fools, so unreasonable prices will always show up. Thumbs up to Flow's tips on checking closed GB auctions; I've used that a number of times when I wasn't really sure of reasonable prices. That said, I think that the truly outrageous offers will usually be seen for what they are.
Lifetime member, Second Amendment Foundation
farmkid
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby Flowmaster » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:56 pm

Dave_H wrote:I guess they are just throwing spaghetti at the wall to see what sticks. There's a pretty well known gun shop in my town that had chronically high prices, any time I went in. They've stayed in business for decades, so someone must have been buying from them.

I know of a pawn shop that has high prices, then instantly drops any price a good 25% any time someone even remotely shows interest. They make it seem like you're getting a screaming deal when in reality they are still too expensive.
Flowmaster
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Return to CURRENT EVENTS. Post in this forum should be post about events less then 2 months old.