My fix for a broken magazine baseplate

Moderators: FergusonTO35, farmkid, jeffchance, Flowmaster, 356, pockets, martin08, adam01364, Mr Saturday Night Special

My fix for a broken magazine baseplate

Postby Flowmaster » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:02 pm

I recently got a J22 with a magazine stuck in it. The mag would come out with a little persuasion from a pocket knife but that's not the way it would stay. The gun was probably dropped at some point (it looks like it had a really rough life) and the front edge of the magazine baseplate broke off. Without that little front part of the magazine baseplate its very hard to get the mags out of these little guns.
I drilled a small hole in the baseplate and then screwed in a self-tapper screw that I found in the street while out on a walk a few weeks ago. Its not the prettiest thing but it works great to get the mag out of the gun. The screw is in there tight, I can't unscrew it with my fingers. Eventually I'm probably going to try and drill/tap/screw a finger rest baseplate from some other mag onto it. The mag is probably trash anyway, this was just something to do today and cost nothing but my time.
Flowmaster
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Re: My fix for a broken magazine baseplate

Postby farmkid » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:54 pm

That's true SNS engineering of the type we love here! ;)
A PERFECT WORLD: start with the fifties, remove racial segregation, insert internet. Factor Edsels to the power of 3 and multiply by Tom Terrific. Paradise!
farmkid
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby adam01364 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:05 pm

I had a similar problem. My solution was to reconstruct the baseplate.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=2891&p=29829&hilit=magazine+repair#p29829
Image Image
adam01364
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby FergusonTO35 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:25 am

That's true SNS engineering of the type we love here! ;)

The fact that he found the screw out in the street makes it even more so!
"If magic is to be defined as the use of ineffective means to allay anxiety when effective ones are not available, then we must conclude that no society will ever be completely free from it." -Keith Thomas, Religion and the Decline of Magic, 1971.
FergusonTO35
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Return to The J-22/JA-22 Forum