High-Vis front sight on JA22?

Moderators: FergusonTO35, farmkid, jeffchance, Flowmaster, 356, pockets, martin08, adam01364, Mr Saturday Night Special

High-Vis front sight on JA22?

Postby daveindenver » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:50 pm

Has anyone put any kind of high vis front (or rear) sight on their JA22?

Yes I can use various paint options on existing iron. But a little mini-TruGlo of some kind would be nice. Such as...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0071 ... PDKIKX0DER

I'd sure love some pointers and/or recommendations before I start up this little project.

I'm also in the market for a used/ugly slide (100% functional however) to test with too. I did post that request in the Buy/Sell section.
daveindenver
Plinker

Re: High-Vis front sight on JA22?

Postby Flowmaster » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:38 pm

I've always thought that a cantaleevered sight system would be really cool coming off of one of the grips. They made one for the S&W 422 and 622 back in the day, that's where I got the idea that maybe one could be made for a J22 or JA22.
Has anybody here ever done aftermarket sights on a J22? I don't think so. I probably would've saved the pictures if somebody here over the years had done it. You should be the first!
Flowmaster
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby daveindenver » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:58 pm

Well that is more cleaver and cool than I was thinking. I'm am willing to try a KISS solution first by messing with just the front sight. I've sent an email to J/A about the cost of a new slide. Do you know what they cost or where to look for a used one?
daveindenver
Plinker

Postby jeffchance » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:03 am

Dave,
Check the for sale section here, :D
JEFF
01 FFL
Certified Glock Armorer
www.jandnguns.com
SEMPER FI
jeffchance
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby Flowmaster » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:31 pm

I've got a neighbor who's got a 3d printer in his living room and he said we could spin up some projects. I'm starting to brainstorm here on how we could do a front sight of some kind. Maybe a rail that encapsulates the whole top of the slide. It'd be pretty easy to do one in plastic and then get a real machine shop to duplicate it in metal. Not a huge picatinny rail, maybe just enough to mount some sights on.
Flowmaster
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby daveindenver » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:55 pm

Flowmaster wrote:I've got a neighbor who's got a 3d printer in his living room and he said we could spin up some projects. I'm starting to brainstorm here on how we could do a front sight of some kind. Maybe a rail that encapsulates the whole top of the slide. It'd be pretty easy to do one in plastic and then get a real machine shop to duplicate it in metal. Not a huge picatinny rail, maybe just enough to mount some sights on.

I've had the same idea when I saw a high vis sights for a shotgun that clip/snap onto the barrel. Need to manage slide recoil of course which complicates things. Cool that you know someone with a 3D printer to prototype!

The other end of the scale would be to grind off the front sight completely and have an adjustable height flat top high vis thingy.
daveindenver
Plinker

Postby adam01364 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:12 am

Flowmaster wrote:I've got a neighbor who's got a 3d printer in his living room and he said we could spin up some projects. I'm starting to brainstorm here on how we could do a front sight of some kind. Maybe a rail that encapsulates the whole top of the slide. It'd be pretty easy to do one in plastic and then get a real machine shop to duplicate it in metal. Not a huge picatinny rail, maybe just enough to mount some sights on.
That'd be very cool! 8-)
Image Image
adam01364
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby Flowmaster » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:21 pm

OK, now I'm going overboard here with the slide sight rib idea. I'm thinking extended sights like some 1911s have.
Sorry for the thread highjack.
Flowmaster
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby adam01364 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:42 am

Looks a tad fragile to be 3D printed?
Image Image
adam01364
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby Flowmaster » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:54 pm

Oh yeah, for sure. It'd be cool to have one as a prototype though before getting a machinist to make one out of metal. I know a guy who works as a CAD designer making parts for automatic car washes by day. He's also a gun guy and has made some very interesting little parts for guns in his spare time as well as cutting fancy patterns into Glock slides. I'm trying to get him onboard with this project to make me something out of metal after I can get the basic style/design made in plastic on a 3d printer. The plastic part would really just be a proof of concept.
Flowmaster
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Return to The J-22/JA-22 Forum