The old J22, or So long and thanks for the fish

Moderators: FergusonTO35, jeffchance, Flowmaster, 356, pockets, farmkid, adam01364, martin08, Mr Saturday Night Special

The old J22, or So long and thanks for the fish

Postby Dave_H » Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:38 am

Before their allegedly stellar decision to ship to a defunct FFL and subsequent legal woes, the J-22/JA-22 was in more or less constant production for four decades. I wonder what the total production number on that model ended up being.
In recent years Jimenez was still cranking out close to five thousand of them a year. That's probably nothing compared to figure they reached the 1990's

Well, assuming that someones employee or ex wife doesn't step up and be the beard to buy the company assets and Mayflower them to set up in a new location like Bob Irsay, their day is done.

That's too bad. Most of the semi-auto 22's are larger target type guns, or are training guns designed to look and feel like a carry pistol. A genuine tuck it in your pocket sized gun? I can't think of too many.
When I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of the park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards. That's my policy.
Dave_H
GUN NUT!

Re: The old J22, or So long and thanks for the fish

Postby Don » Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:45 am

I hope someone keeps that kind of gun production going. If they do I hope they stick with the .22's, 25's and 32's instead of following the market trends and being all things to all people. If they put a little more QC into those guns and kept them at the same price point I don't know how they can go wrong. Cobra should do the same, awhile back they introduced a .38 snubbie that was a POS. I think if one of these companies build an inexpensive but sturdy revolver in 22'mag and .32 S&W long like the old H&R's and sold them for around $180 to $200 they would do well and I'd buy one for sure and I think a lot of other shooters would too. Buffalo Bore manufactures hot .32 long ammo that is safe to shoot in solid frame revolvers and makes the old .32 a viable SD round. I would also love to see someone make a revolver in .38 S&W again too but I guess that is just a fantasy.
\
Don
Don
Hardcore

Postby Dave_H » Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:25 pm

Judging from the firearms manufacturing reports I remember seeing, their various .380 caliber pistols seem to be what they make the most of. Up until recently, I could have gotten a JA-380 for as low as $95 plus the shipping and transfer fee. The problem for them is well established, and we've talked about it here. There are so many inexpensive new production guns out there. Taurus, Kel-tec, Sccy, and a host of others that can be had for around $200 or so that resemble higher dollar value guns in the features they have.
When I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of the park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards. That's my policy.
Dave_H
GUN NUT!

Postby Don » Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:18 pm

It is the JA380 and the CA380 from Cobra that are responsible for their lousy reputation as dangerous junk guns. The Zamak slides and frames do not hold up with the higher pressures and recoil of .380 and 9mm ammo and crack after just 100 rounds in some cases. I think the only exception might be the T380 and the FS380 which have more robust slides. The smaller calibers don't punish the guns as much and they hold up better. If these companies want to stay in business they need to be realistic about the limits of zamak. I don't know how well the Cobra Denali holds up but I suspect better than the CA380 because of the polymer frame which soaks up recoil a little better. Seems to have worked for HiPoint.

Don
Don
Hardcore

Postby Dave_H » Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:20 pm

I wouldn't dispute that. I'd defer to those with more experience. I gravitated towards the mouse gun calibers. The only zamak 380 I owned was a Denali, and a financial sunami hit me before I got to do enough with it to know anything definitive.
Dave_H
GUN NUT!

Return to The J-22/JA-22 Forum