Accuracy at 3yrds.

Moderators: FergusonTO35, jeffchance, Flowmaster, 356, pockets, farmkid, adam01364, martin08, Mr Saturday Night Special

Accuracy at 3yrds.

Postby daveindenver » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:36 pm

My JA22 is back from the factory and has had not one cycling issue with the first 200 rounds (Mini Mag RN and HP). YEA! :D

But I have an accuracy issue. At 3 yards my groups are almost 2" low at 6 o'clock. It's not just me.. the RSO (range safety officer) did 40 rounds and had the exact same 6 o'clock POI (but with better groups than I... of course.) :cry:

Normal sight picture: flat-top aligned on front and rear sight, cover up 1/2 of center target dot.

Sure I (we) could compensate with POA or really high front sight (about 3/4 of it above the rear sight.) Ick.

Suggestions anyone?

Thanks!
daveindenver
Plinker

Re: Accuracy at 3yrds.

Postby David Vincent » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:24 am

lots of options....

1. recut and crown barrel and see if it improves. These guns are pumped out pretty rough with lousy quality control. They are best thought of as kit guns. You could even polish or lap the barrel.

2. Dovetail cut File and make the cuts then replace with whatever sight you want that gives you different height options.

3. File off the sights and use your firing pin painted as a type of red dot for fast shooting up close. One of my carry sns guns are set up this way.

4. try lots of different ammo until you find one that works then modify your gun around that ammo.

5. File the front sight down to Point of impact for your chosen round.

6. Live with it the way it is

good thing is the windage is correct. Thats a little tougher to deal with. It can be done though. like i said... Kit guns. These are around so we dont screw up Korths, Wilson/Les Baer 1911s, and beretta 93r machine pistols when we are learning how to tweek firearms.

J22s are typically not target guns anyways. Nice small plinkers to use as practice for the much more powerful j25 in the man stopping big boy 25acp! my experience the J25 is far more accurate BTW (Not even close to ravens though). I like J22s though. They are neat.
David Vincent
600+ Rounds Club.Zamak Hoarding Weird++

Postby daveindenver » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:14 pm

Thanks DV! Good info!

Very true... not a target gun with fixed sights and a 2.5" barrel. JA22 groups were fine for a shortie, maybe better than expected. So that is why I found POI disappointing when I found every other aspect of the pistol to be very OK. True... really glad it is not a windage problem!

Your suggestion to file the front sight down is very KISS and appropriate for sns. For now I will paint just the lower portion of the front sight and use that in my sight picture. Good to learn about the gunsmith machine shop solutions from you but that is too deep-end for me for an affordable pocket pistol.

Thanks!
daveindenver
Plinker

Postby David Vincent » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:55 pm

you can do it all with hand tools its just a little more labor intensive. lots of ways to get things done if you are creative. Crowns can be smoothed up with a brass screw and a drill. I even used flitz and a marble a few times just to see if i could. Everyone thinks they need brownells tools but there are other ways. I do love me some brownells though ;)

you can always pick up a cheap slide used and experiment. I think most of us here have our parts bins pretty well stocked by now.

hey if its reliable and shoots straight right to left your about 95% of the way home. Your just dialing it in now.

The small caliber SNS are actually fine little pill poppers for the most part. For their size they are pretty efficient guns. A little tweaking and your all set. maintenance is just keeping them clean and periodic spring replacement.

people give sns guns a lot of crap but in the end the are all just particle accelerators. A bullet doesnt care what gun its shot from once its in flight.
David Vincent

Postby Flowmaster » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:00 pm

David Vincent gives good information.

Mini mags are the way to go for reliability. I've had good accuracy with the Federal Auto Match ammo.

Make sure you don't dry-fire it because you'll eventually peen the chamber. I've got one J22 that's been dry fired into oblivion, to the point that the breech face of the slide is deformed as well as the entrance to the chamber.
Flowmaster
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby daveindenver » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:42 am

DV, FM,
More good info! Thanks!
daveindenver
Plinker

Postby David Vincent » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:04 am

Flowmaster wrote:David Vincent gives good information.

Mini mags are the way to go for reliability. I've had good accuracy with the Federal Auto Match ammo.

Make sure you don't dry-fire it because you'll eventually peen the chamber. I've got one J22 that's been dry fired into oblivion, to the point that the breech face of the slide is deformed as well as the entrance to the chamber.

this is why its hard to buy them used and worn on gunbroker. Replacing those barrels sucks and can be a little delicate IMO. slides are everywhere.

i wonder if you Might be able to turn your trashed frame and barrel into a reliable manual operated colibri repeater. You would have to rack the slide each time you shoot (since its colibris) but you wouldnt have to deal with a kaboom.

I got burned on 4 used j22s over the years so I rarely buy them used anymore.

Honestly though.... shooting this gun in 25acp has been a better option for me even though ammo is a little more expensive. Many dont like the punishing recoil and violent snap that the 25acp brings to the table but having 6-7 rounds of the man stopping round on tap is solid reassurance against the threat of a rapid zombie squirrel or vampire rabbit.

i actually carry a j25 quite a bit. One of my $6 guns that I worked over and brought back to life. Accurized as much as possible and given a battle worn finish with some different chemicals. Its almost as accurate as my ravens but not quite.
David Vincent

Postby FergusonTO35 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:29 am

Hmm, honestly I would just send it back to JA with test targets of a few different types of ammo. Their service is excellent, even if you have to use it more than once!
"If magic is to be defined as the use of ineffective means to allay anxiety when effective ones are not available, then we must conclude that no society will ever be completely free from it." -Keith Thomas, Religion and the Decline of Magic, 1971.
FergusonTO35
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby daveindenver » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:10 pm

Before I get out the power tools I will call JA about my 6pm POI issues and consider sending it back (again). It cycles so nice now and groups are acceptable for 2.5" sns... hate to mess that up.
Last edited by daveindenver on Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
daveindenver
Plinker

Postby David Vincent » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:29 pm

dont feel bad. I just got back from the range and my keltec p11 is a good 6" low at 3 yards. seven yards it wont even hit a paper plate. i am about to try snake shot at this point. But noooooo.... instead i will dump a bunch of money on aftermarket dodads because I like the design. The trigger is a real SOB to get a feel for. My VP70z, patriot 45, and grendels are much easier to shoot well. In fact, I will go as far to say that this is by far the most difficult gun design to shoot well I have ever encountered.

This is why i carry tokarevs and makarovs a lot. The are just inherently accurate and easy to manipulate and conceal.

Meanwhile my little junk raven carry bug pretty easily nails paper plates at 25 yards LOL. None of my mini 25s are as accurate as the raven. Sundances are close. Most higher end guns...brownings, Berettas fall short.

SNS guns are often a crap shoot though. If your gun gets nice tight groups I would not let them touch it even if the POI is off a little.

as a general rule IMO ravens and hipoints traditionally have the most accuracy of any SNS guns. the Lorcin smooth bores are terrible usually. Davis (also basically smooth bore) are so bad the bullets dont stabilize most of the time. Jennings/bryco/jimenez can be pretty lousy or pretty good. Sundances are good until they break.

the Small jennings/jimenez j22s and j25 are typically pretty decent in my experience.
David Vincent

Next

Return to The J-22/JA-22 Forum