Heard at a Recent Gunshow

Moderators: FergusonTO35, farmkid, jeffchance, Flowmaster, 356, pockets, martin08, adam01364, Mr Saturday Night Special

Heard at a Recent Gunshow

Postby FarmallB » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:21 pm

"If you know how many guns you own, you don't own enough!"

This was told to me and my gun buddies at an ammo sales table by the saleslady helping us.
FarmallB
Hardcore

Re: Heard at a Recent Gunshow

Postby jeffchance » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:20 pm

Just hope, after you are gone, that your wife sells your guns for what they are worth-----NOT what you told her you paid for them. :o
JEFF
01 FFL
Certified Glock Armorer
www.jandnguns.com
SEMPER FI
jeffchance
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby Banned for Life » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:41 pm

The nicest thing about having your gun appraised and insured is that your wife (if you are married) knows exactly how much they are worth at least in replacement value.

Having friends that own Gunshops I get to hear all the horror stories of wives bringing in a collection and the gun store owners scratching their heads. Or stories about other ffls that take them at Rock bottom dollar or Worse! Tons of them just get turned over to a local police precinct only to be scrapped solely because the original owner didn't keep records of what he had and what there were worth.

I think some of the long time members remember my Fiasco with some sns guns I purchased at a pawn shop several years back. A elderly owner had a huge safe and had it stuffed full of guns. The guys middle aged son had a drug problem and world sell a few off here and there to support his habit. Once the original owner was put into a nursing home his older daughters started to get his estate in order. The safe was opened and they started going though this guy's list of guns he supposedly had. If he sold one he marked it off the list . They started noticing a lot of guns were missing. They called the sheriff's office and the sheriff's office went to work trying to find out if guns stores or ffls in the area had purchased them. The daughters knew of the list in the carpet lining of the safe. The son did not.

Luckily the guy sold them to brick and mortar store and the like and most could be accounted for. Like my two. I got a call from the sheriff and was told to return them to the sheriff's office. I said I would need a couple of days and then made a beeline right to the pawn shop and asked for a refund. They begrudgingly returned my money . I then walked out to the car and called the sheriff's office and told them where they could be picked up. They laughed and thanked me. Not all this guy's guns were found. Some guys bought them and later traded them off and since we can do ftf deals here in Missouri they didn't have any recourse for the ones they couldn't locate. They were all sold and purchased legally buy both the ffls and the private buyers.

But what it comes down to is that this old timer gun collector kept record of what he had and what he sold and kept that info in his safe in a folder. Because of that his, daughters had some info on what he had, what the purchase price was and when he got it. No one else knew but him....and whoever got access to the safe. He had tons of high dollar guns as well as a sizeable collection of sns guns. The sale of them help his family provide for him as he worked his way to the great beyond.

Keep records, tell your wife what you have or at least keep a up to date list and current values of what you have in your safe or in a file that your wife or potential caregivers have access too. It doesn't take long to accrue a sizable $ amount of guns. Even cheap guns add up. Think about getting them insured for sure.

I went as far as to set up a tripod and camera and record the right and left side of the gun and the ser#. It's in digital format so if I sell something I can edit it out pretty quickly. There will be no headaches for my wife over guns. She has access to the list solely from the transparency for the insurance. They are all willed to her at TOD. Seriously though.. don't make this a headache for your SO. She probably won't want to get rid of any right away but knowing she has information on hand when she does want to part with it will make her life so much easier.
Rant off.
Banned for Life
Zamak Hoarding Weirdo

Postby jeffchance » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:13 pm

We have a couple inventories of ours. One is on CD with pictures and another is on paper in a fire safe with other important documents.
We had an instance where this type of documentation saved our butts with guns that Nadine's parents had. After they passed, a "friend" had the guns but only gave her a couple and said that's all there was. Fortunately with the inventory her parents had, along with pictures, gave us proof and we recovered them.
JEFF
01 FFL
Certified Glock Armorer
www.jandnguns.com
SEMPER FI
jeffchance
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby Banned for Life » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:45 pm

Wow....some friend.
Banned for Life
Zamak Hoarding Weirdo

Return to The Quote Forum add one yourself.