Homemade Suppressor

Do It Yourself.
Show off your skills/projects, and help out your fellow forum members
Please post your DIY post in the appropriate forums listed above. Then post the project here so we can have a quick reference database of DIY projects.

Moderators: FergusonTO35, jeffchance, Flowmaster, 356, pockets, farmkid, adam01364, martin08, Mr Saturday Night Special

Homemade Suppressor

Postby FarmallB » Sat May 14, 2016 9:27 pm

Has anyone ever messed with making a simple sound suppressor out of items found around the house? I think I saw one in the movie called The Shooter where Mark Wahlberg's character has a water bottle filled with rags somehow attached to the end of his rifle. I know, they can do anything in hollywood.

There may be some legalities to this, too.
FarmallB
Hardcore

Re: Homemade Suppressor

Postby Flowmaster » Sat May 14, 2016 9:53 pm

Yeah. Here in the USA you need to be in a state that allows suppressors and fill out a form 1 from the ATF. That's a form where you ask for permission to manufacture an NFA item. You send in passport photos (sort of like mugshots) and fingerprint cards with the paperwork. In as short as a couple of months or as long as several months they'll get back to you with an approval for you to go ahead and do your project building a suppressor. You've gotta engrave it with the correct info and engrave it in a certain size to a certain depth to be legal.

Get comfortable if you want to read my entire rant. There's a lot of information here.

The NFA is the National Firearms Act of 1934. That's where they started regulating stuff like machine guns, suppressors, short barreled rifles, short barreled shotguns, and AOW firearms which are items deemed "any other weapon".

So you do the form 1 and send it in with your $200 for the tax stamp. The government taxes you $200 on each NFA item whether you make it yourself or if you buy one that's already made. Some people have a trust hold their items so that they can name their spouse or whoever as a member of the trust. That's handy because then those who are named in the trust can have the item with them and take it to the range without you being there. Also, people have been going the route of doing NFA items in a trust because that circumvents the law enforcement sign off requirement which I understand is going away soon anyway. Back in the day (And even now as I;m typing this) you can do a form 1, form 4, whatever for an NFA item and you've gotta sweet talk your local chief of police into signing the form. Some police departments don't want NFA items in the hands of citizens in their area so they just won't sign the form. That's why people do a trust.

So the $200 tax is interesting. That's the price the tax has been for a suppressor since the National Firearms Act of 1934. Back in 1934 that was an absolute fortune. Adjusted for inflation that'd be like having a $3,500 tax in today's dollars for a suppressor that may only cost a few hundred bucks. That's nuts, right? Back in the day $200 was a mint so that kept a lot of people from getting silencers, full auto, short barreled rifles, etc. People complain about the $200 per item tax today but imagine how people had it back in the 1930s when you could buy a respectable car for $200.

There are plenty of people who've made their own suppressors using jigger cups for mixing drinks in a metal tube. Other people have used an autozone brand flashlight with some engine freeze plugs as baffles. You can do it legally if you want. If you don't do the paperwork, make an item, and you get caught you're in for some serious trouble.

Some people are using oil filters as solvent traps. They screw the adapter onto the end of their threaded barrel then screw on a car's oil filter. That oil filter is there to catch all of the solvent that comes out of their barrel while cleaning a gun. Well... You could also leave that oil filter on there and shoot the gun, blasting a hole in one end with the first bullet and effectively creating yourself a silencer. Don't do that though. That's federal time if you get caught. The problem is that you'd have to register each and every oil filter you screw onto your gun. The filters do go bad rather quickly. In a SHTF scenario where there's a meltdown of modern society such an item could be useful when there are no police to police the people, but in the meantime its best to keep that item around just for catching the solvent running out of the end of your barrel while cleaning it.

There was a company a few years ago that serialized the oil filter adapter as an NFA item, calling that the suppressor itself but that didn't last long. The ATF made them change their ways and now they have to mark the oil filter. The filter gets shot out and then the user mails it back to the factory and they do a "repair" by replacing that filter with a brand new one with the same information engraved in it.

So yeah, sorry that was so long-winded. You can make your own suppressor but you've gotta register it with the Federal government.

There are some improvied suppressor videos on youtube. Those videos are for entertainment purposes only and shouldn't be replicated. One video that's straight out of the 1980s uses some conduit pipe used to snake cables around inside buildings along with some tarp grommets in the middle as baffles. They even take window screen, coat it in lithium grease, then wrap it around a gas chamber. I guess it works for 22LR but I don't know how effective a crude do-it-yourself suppressor would be for larger calibers.

You might be able to get away with a DIY soda bottle suppressor on a pellet gun or something but those are usually pretty quiet already.
Flowmaster
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Re: Homemade Suppressor

Postby bitsman » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:07 pm

Hell... Just do an eBay search for 1/2x28 muzzle breaks and you can pretty much buy a monocore baffle that will nicely slip in side a c cell mag light body... or a baffle stack..
"You broke into my house, Stole my property, Murdered my Servants and my pets, And that is what GRIEVES me the most" Can you name the movie????

"Remember Ladies.... If you don't stand for something, You'll fall for anything..."
bitsman
FORUM BENEFACTOR 2016

Return to DIY Forum