410/45LC derringer Kit

Do It Yourself.
Show off your skills/projects, and help out your fellow forum members
Please post your DIY post in the appropriate forums listed above. Then post the project here so we can have a quick reference database of DIY projects.

Moderators: FergusonTO35, jeffchance, Flowmaster, 356, pockets, farmkid, adam01364, martin08, Mr Saturday Night Special

Re: 410/45LC derringer Kit

Postby bitsman » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:58 am

Flowmaster wrote:There is/was someone on gunbroker selling the bare plates a while back. I think someone had a thread going on the old bryco forum about it. I'd totally take on a project like this if I could weld. With the right tools this should be a good learning experience for ya.

Lots of people think welding is difficult to learn how to do... These days.. with inexpensive gas-less flux-core MIG set ups and YouTube.. It really isnt all the hard... Yeah.. It takes some time... But most people with $125 for a Harbor Freight 120 VAC 90amp unit and a weekend free, they can usually get to the point of running beads that may not look all that pretty.. but will hold up well... Another way to go is to Braze the parts together... Thats REAL EASY... All you are doing is gluing the parts together.. but instead of using Epoxy you are using Brass or Copper... Not silver solder because that really does not have the strength... A decent Brazed connection will withstand about 60,000 PSI of pressure... Thats more the enough for the little 410/45LC derringer. Just like with re-finishing.. metal prep is everything... Now if you are talking Standard stick welding or OXY/Acet gas welding.. then you are getting into areas that a person really needs lots of skill to get the welds strong AND looking nice...

Welding is kind of one of those skills that Lots of people need use of from time to time.. and wish they new how to do it... Its a good tool to barter with as well around here... Farmers and Ranchers always need something re-attached or fixed on their trailers or tractors...

I say.. Take the dive.. buy a cheap unit.. and practice running beads... Like anything else new you are going to screw up... but in time it will come. Hit junk yards.. find some 1/4 steel plate and weld up some knock over 22lr targets first...
"You broke into my house, Stole my property, Murdered my Servants and my pets, And that is what GRIEVES me the most" Can you name the movie????

"Remember Ladies.... If you don't stand for something, You'll fall for anything..."
bitsman
FORUM BENEFACTOR 2016

Postby Cheapgunner » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:03 pm

I agree welding Isn't that hard even stick welding, which is how I learned. I was fortunate to grow up with a dad who is a diesel mechanic and sort of a jack of all trades that tought me a lot. Also in high school we had shop class, and learned to weld among other useful skills. Unfortunately at least in my area they have done away with shop class and all electives have went to computer skills and collage courses. Which is one thing I think is wrong with this country computer skills and collage is nice but somebody still needs to learn to build shit. Sorry Got a little off topic there rant over.
Cheapgunner
GUN NUT!

Postby adam01364 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:00 pm

well said!
Image Image
adam01364
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby bitsman » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:12 am

Cheapgunner wrote:I agree welding Isn't that hard even stick welding, which is how I learned. I was fortunate to grow up with a dad who is a diesel mechanic and sort of a jack of all trades that tought me a lot. Also in high school we had shop class, and learned to weld among other useful skills. Unfortunately at least in my area they have done away with shop class and all electives have went to computer skills and collage courses. Which is one thing I think is wrong with this country computer skills and collage is nice but somebody still needs to learn to build shit. Sorry Got a little off topic there rant over.

I do agree.. No matter how technologically advance we may become as a society... there will always be a need for people to keep mechanical devices running.. I mean no dis-respect to anyone by this... but the world will always need ditch diggers...
"You broke into my house, Stole my property, Murdered my Servants and my pets, And that is what GRIEVES me the most" Can you name the movie????

"Remember Ladies.... If you don't stand for something, You'll fall for anything..."
bitsman
FORUM BENEFACTOR 2016

Postby bitsman » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:22 pm

Picked my welder today... Gonna take some time before I am ready to tackle this project... Have to get use to the machine and get the settings right... I am WAY out of practice...

bitsman
FORUM BENEFACTOR 2016

Postby 84minieldo » Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:17 am

You'll get it
84minieldo
Zamak Hoarding Weirdo FORUM BENEFACTOR

Postby Admin » Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:16 pm

Any updates?
Mr SNS
If they don't trust us with guns, how can we trust them with the government?

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen". Samuel Adams,
Admin
Site Admin

Previous

Return to DIY Forum