Cerakote finish

Do It Yourself.
Show off your skills/projects, and help out your fellow forum members
Please post your DIY post in the appropriate forums listed above. Then post the project here so we can have a quick reference database of DIY projects.

Moderators: FergusonTO35, 356, pockets, farmkid, jeffchance, Flowmaster, adam01364, martin08, Mr Saturday Night Special

Re: Cerakote finish

Postby adam01364 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:11 am

Those are some mighty white grips! 8-)
Here's what it looks like with my "white" grips (ahem "yellowed with age" white grips). Unlike Condition One's example, the safety lever on my gun isn't chrome and I think the extra chrome adds to it.

Image Image
adam01364
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby ConditionOne » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:51 am

My son call's mine the tuxedo gun
ConditionOne
FORUM BENEFACTOR 2016

Postby adam01364 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:32 am

ConditionOne wrote:My son call's mine the tuxedo gun
I can see why! :lol: With that nice shiny steel barrel, chromed controls, black finish and ultra white grips, it looks very dressed up and ready for a night on the town! 8-)
Image Image
adam01364
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby adam01364 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:13 am

UPDATE: Carried this all day and was excited to finally get it to the range. As I mentioned, the Cerakote finish tightens things up just a wee bit and I noticed the slide was a tad snugger than before; but since the slide was snug to begin with this was expected. I worked the slide back and forth a bit and then I sent 100 rounds down range.

In the first mag I had two failures where the gun just barely failed to go into battery -I'm talking about 1/16" out. In each case a little nudge and we were good to go and I did not have any further failures of any kind.

Breaking down the pistol afterwards, I did see wear marks in the areas that were binding before. This too was expected- you're ADDING a thin coating onto two surfaces that already were tight, it isn't going to make the condition any better; reality is it makes it worse -but not insurmountable- as noted in the above paragraph.

Cleaned it up, looked it over, and I'm VERY pleased after day one.
Image Image
adam01364
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby adam01364 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:05 pm

UPDATE 9/30: I've been carrying the pistol in an Uncle Mikes pocket holster. The Titan is wearing the brown grips that I spray painted with Krylon Fuze. The grips are starting to show signs of the paint wearing off on the edges. The Cerakote finish however does not show signs of wear. Five days into this and I continue to be pleased.
Image Image
adam01364
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby Flowmaster » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:20 am

I used Krylon Fuzion on my girlfriend's perriwinkle purple JA22 grips. The finish didn't adhere super-well to the plastic. I don't know if it was because of residual grease that may not have come off or if it was because I didn't use an adhesion promoter. That paint is intended for plastics, but I bet there's some wax or grease applied to the molds so the plastic parts will pop out of the molds. Maybe a light sandblasting would be good to give the paint a rough surface to adhere to. The paint doesn't adhere too well the flatter, smoother, and shinier the surface is.
Flowmaster
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby farmkid » Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:54 pm

Very good job, Jeff! I look forward to updates on the durability, as I've done only Duracoat and have heard that Ceracoat may hold up better.
A PERFECT WORLD: start with the fifties, remove racial segregation, insert internet. Factor Edsels to the power of 3 and multiply by Tom Terrific. Paradise!
farmkid
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby adam01364 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:04 am

UPDATE 10/10: I continue to carry the pistol in an Uncle Mikes pocket holster -all day long. Three weeks into into this and the only wear I've seen is on the previously mentioned "high spots". I've fired this 200 times and manually cycled it another 300+ times (=500+ cycles), I've cleaned it up with a variety of gun cleaning products, and it looks great. The surface hasn't been scratched by the safety lever, the strap looks just as good as the day I got it back from Jeff. I continue to be very very pleased with the finish, so much so that I will be sending Jeff a few more gun parts to be Cerakoted. Now THAT'S an endorsement. :D
Image Image
adam01364
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby Admin » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:43 am

Any word on the durability?
Mr SNS
If they don't trust us with guns, how can we trust them with the government?

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen". Samuel Adams,
Admin
Site Admin

Postby FergusonTO35 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:38 am

I struck a deal with Jeff to cerakote the Storm Lake barrel on my Glock 19. Got it back yesterday and it looks great! Will post pics tonight.
"If magic is to be defined as the use of ineffective means to allay anxiety when effective ones are not available, then we must conclude that no society will ever be completely free from it." -Keith Thomas, Religion and the Decline of Magic, 1971.
FergusonTO35
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

PreviousNext

Return to DIY Forum