Flow fixes a bent Zamak frame.

Do It Yourself.
Show off your skills/projects, and help out your fellow forum members
Please post your DIY post in the appropriate forums listed above. Then post the project here so we can have a quick reference database of DIY projects.

Moderators: FergusonTO35, jeffchance, Flowmaster, 356, pockets, farmkid, adam01364, martin08, Mr Saturday Night Special

Flow fixes a bent Zamak frame.

Postby Admin » Mon May 19, 2014 11:31 pm

I repaired it. I didn't use heat because I didn't want to take a risk at melting anything. After I started bending on it, I knew Zamak was going to be soft enough as it is, especially in the magwell area where it is so thin.
I wanted to use a tool that would have an even clamping force on each side of the magazine well. A pair of needle nose pliers wouldn't exert the same amount of force on each side, they would have pinched the metal more at the mouth of the mag well. I used a very small Crescent wrench instead. I used another pair of pliers to turn the thumb screw so I could get a clamping effect with the Crescent wrench.
Just another angle. I had to reposition the Crescent wrench several times going back and forth along the bent part of the frame. I moved the metal just a tiny bit at a time so I wouldn't damage it.
I also used a screwdriver as a lever.
The cat also helped with my mousegun.
The metal was really soft. I need to knock down this area with a small flat file.
The pliers are the same width as the magazine (these pliers fit perfectly into the magazine well of another Raven) so I used them to open up the magazine well.
That's pretty much the finished product. There was a little bit of a crack in the magwell near the mag release. Its not all the way through though which is a good thing.
The grip panel doesn't fit 100% on one side, but I think I can make that side of the frame a bit smoother/flatter with a flat file. I also need to clean up the perimeter of the magazine well where it got deformed by my tools. I'll probably just bevel it a little bit.
That's with the magazine inserted.
If they don't trust us with guns, how can we trust them with the government?

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen". Samuel Adams,
Admin
Site Admin

Re: Flow fixes a bent Zmack frame.

Postby Flowmaster » Wed May 21, 2014 3:24 pm

Here's what it looked like "before". I paid $25 for it. Complete, as a parts gun. No mag, but whatever. I have extras.
Flowmaster
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby farmkid » Tue May 27, 2014 6:04 pm

Wow! I wouldn't have thought it possible, as I would have assumed that zamac was too brittle. But then I guess that the only alternative to tossing it is this. Congrats on saving a sorta-rare Ontario Raven!
Lifetime member, Second Amendment Foundation
farmkid
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby Flowmaster » Wed May 28, 2014 6:33 am

Thanks. The mag safety is what made it for me. I wanted one of the Phoenix-made guns.

EDIT: here are pics of the final product. I used a file to smooth out the rough edges made by my tools when I straightened out the mag well.
The grip is now minutely shorter than it was before, but that doesn't matter because the magazine will still sit where it needs to be because it is held in place by the magazine release which didn't change position. The grips were not a perfect fit from the beginning. If anything, the grips now fit better along the mag well because the frame now goes down the same distance as the grips do.

It didn't really matter, but the gouged up magwell really bothered me. Now you can barely tell I did anything. Well, aside from the tiny crack in one corner. You'd have to take the grips off to tell that I really messed with it. I still need to see if this thing works.
Flowmaster
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Re: Flow fixes a bent Zamak frame.

Postby 84minieldo » Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:34 am

Ah ah ah ah stayin alive stayin alive
84minieldo
Zamak Hoarding Weirdo FORUM BENEFACTOR

Return to DIY Forum