adam01364's physical comparison of the CA380 to a Davis P380

Do It Yourself.
Show off your skills/projects, and help out your fellow forum members
Please post your DIY post in the appropriate forums listed above. Then post the project here so we can have a quick reference database of DIY projects.

Moderators: FergusonTO35, jeffchance, Flowmaster, 356, pockets, farmkid, adam01364, martin08, Mr Saturday Night Special

adam01364's physical comparison of the CA380 to a Davis P380

Postby Admin » Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:04 pm

I finally have gotten my hands on a Cobra CA380 and decided it would be interesting to post a physical comparison of the CA380 to a Davis P380.

Serial # prefixes: Davis s/n start with “P” or “AP”. Cobra CA series s/n start with “CA” (this has been confirmed by the Cobra factory)

Buffers: The buffer system between the two manufacturers are different and cannot be interchanged. Davis buffers are T-shaped assemblies with two small springs on either side. Cobra buffers consist of a single large diameter coil spring with a buffer pin on the end. Both buffers are held in place with a stainless retaining pin, but the Davis Pin is almost twice the diameter of the Cobra pin. The shaft diameter of the the Davis buffer is smaller than the diameter of the Cobra buffer spring; this means you CANNOT use a Cobra buffer on a Davis frame. In addition, the Davis frame is notched (see red lines) to allow the buffer to travel back into it while the Cobra frame has no cutout whatsoever. (NOTE: In these photos the Davis’ buffer springs are stuck in the frame.)

Barrels: Davis barrels appear to have a different rifling than Cobra barrels.

Slides: Other than the roll marks, Cobra and Davis slides appear to be the same. Weigh-wise, my Cobra slide weighed five ounces LESS than both my Davis slides (this was a surprise to me as I had always thought that Cobra had beefed up the CA380 slide (as they had the Lorcin L32/L380 slide). My guess is that Cobra’s engineers felt the Davis slide design was robust enough and that a beefed up recoil buffer was sufficient to mitigate slide failures. But this is only a guess on my part; I don’t know this for a fact).

Pictures for your viewing pleasure:
If they don't trust us with guns, how can we trust them with the government?

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen". Samuel Adams,
Admin
Site Admin

Re: adam01364's physical comparison of the CA380 to a Davis

Postby 84minieldo » Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:35 am

Thanks I'll watch for this
84minieldo
Zamak Hoarding Weirdo FORUM BENEFACTOR

Postby ConditionOne » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:24 am

Adam01364 - What holds the p380 buffer in place ? The P380 is one of the guns i purchased and posted about last month, NIB never fired,with all the papers. I just cleaned / lubed it yesterday and had to go back this morning to look and make sure the buffer was still in place, It is :) . As promised pictures will follow as time allows.
ConditionOne
FORUM BENEFACTOR 2016

Postby adam01364 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:14 pm

The pin shown in the pic in the lower right corner.
Image Image
adam01364
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Return to DIY Forum