3D Printer

Do It Yourself.
Show off your skills/projects, and help out your fellow forum members
Please post your DIY post in the appropriate forums listed above. Then post the project here so we can have a quick reference database of DIY projects.

Moderators: FergusonTO35, jeffchance, Flowmaster, 356, pockets, farmkid, adam01364, martin08, Mr Saturday Night Special

3D Printer

Postby Stik » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:40 am

I now have access to a 3D Printer and was thinking about trying my hand at printing some accessories, maybe starting with a rail that attaches to the trigger guard for a C9 or JA9. I was thinking of something similar to the NCstar rail for the older Glocks. After that I'm running short of ideas. Any suggestions?

Due to restrictions from the owner of the printer I can't make receivers or the like.
Stik
Hardcore

Re: 3D Printer

Postby jeffchance » Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:09 pm

A safety lever for the old 59's. They are non-existant and I have had at least a dozen people, including myself, looking for them
If I could locate even one, I would send it to you to duplicate.
Yes, I know, wishful thinking.
JEFF
01 FFL
Certified Glock Armorer
www.jandnguns.com
SEMPER FI
jeffchance
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby David Vincent » Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:17 pm

get a northwood keltec p11 trigger and make some in plastic.
David Vincent
600+ Rounds Club.Zamak Hoarding Weird++

Postby Stik » Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:54 pm

Do you think a safety lever made out of ABS would function properly? I would guess that it would need to be made from a stronger material.
Stik
Hardcore

Postby Flowmaster » Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:28 pm

A more hand-filling grip for the J22/JA22 would be nice. I have a picture (somewhere, on some computer) showing a j22 that had some really large/nice wood grips that were made for it. They would've really filled up your hand but still given enough space to use the heel-style magazine release.

The issue I could see with making bigger wraparound grips for the J22 and JA22 would be the serial number placement on the frame. Some of the J guns I've seen have the serial on the backstrap. Others have it on the frame below where the takedown button fits into the frame, right on the side below where the slide is and rearward of the grip on one side.

I always thought a J22/JA22 safety with a long wing on it would be nice. Its totally not necessary, but it'd be cool.
This 1911 safety has a big long wing on it so its easy to flip on and off. Such a wing would be really nice on the J-guns.

Maybe some thumb rest grips? How about larger grips for the tiny guns. I'm talking NAA mini revolvers and the small frame Davis/Cobra derringers. It'd be nice to have a little more to hold onto.
That's an American Derringer gun, but you get what I'm suggesting. Possibly something like that for the Cobray 410/45LC guns so you can actually hold onto them.

I'm sure Adam needs grips for one/some of his project guns. I think the problem would be finding the correct/nice grips to use in making a copy.

I've always loved a good trigger shoe. My grandfather put one on my first 22 when I was about 8 years old and its still on there. It gives the gun a nice feel having a big chunky trigger. They're made in metal, I bet you could do plastic.

A magwell funnel would be funny and might give the shooter a little something more to hold onto while shooting. It'd come in really handy for tactical operations reloads.
Flowmaster
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby 84minieldo » Sat Dec 12, 2015 3:37 pm

X2 on sns grips,but as mentioned u need to get the guns to copy the inside(at least) of the grips
84minieldo
Zamak Hoarding Weirdo FORUM BENEFACTOR

Postby Stik » Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:26 pm

Dang, those are some pretty good ideas. I like the idea of the trigger shoe and more ergonomic grips. What's the concern about covering the serial number? I thought that as long as you don't permanently cover or obscure it that you're okay. Is it not okay to put a removable grip over it?

I started off making a few removable collars for the HP 995 mags so that they could fit the C-9 and it went pretty well. It has been a long time since I used CAD software so there was a re-learning curve there. As far as grips go, I would think getting the right outline into the CAD program might be a bit tricky. When I made the collars I purposely made them a bit larger since I didn't have a good feel on the tolerances of the machine (I used an Ultimaker 2). Turns out it wasn't bad at all. If I were to make a grip I would probably try to make it a bit large so that any excess material could be sanded away.
Stik
Hardcore

Postby adam01364 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:03 pm

Stik wrote:I started off making a few removable collars for the HP 995 mags so that they could fit the C-9 and it went pretty well.
Those would be very handy. I really prefer to use the same mag in my 995 and C9 myself. Got any pics?
Image Image
adam01364
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby Stik » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:42 pm

I'll post pics over the weekend. I've had guests in from out of town for the past several days.
Stik
Hardcore

Postby adam01364 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:04 pm

That's cool. Tonight I was patching together some Raven P-25 grips - I'll bet a lot of those small grips could be 3D printed as well.
Image Image
adam01364
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Next

Return to DIY Forum