Any HAM's out there

Do It Yourself.
Show off your skills/projects, and help out your fellow forum members
Please post your DIY post in the appropriate forums listed above. Then post the project here so we can have a quick reference database of DIY projects.

Moderators: FergusonTO35, jeffchance, Flowmaster, 356, pockets, farmkid, adam01364, martin08, Mr Saturday Night Special

Any HAM's out there

Postby bitsman » Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:43 pm

Sorry.. I know this is not really the right forum for this.. But I really didnt want to sign up for yet another group... I know I will have too at some point.

Been looking into getting my HAM license. Weather has not been all too bad down here but we have had a few good blows come thru that have taken down the power lines... Figure at least a TECH level would not be a bad idea. just in case...

Looking for suggestions on INEXPENSIVE handhelds that I can learn the basics on. Seems that those BAOFENG China wonders look good.. Dual band, decent output, keypad input or computer programming, Plus one can be had for less then $40...

any help
"You broke into my house, Stole my property, Murdered my Servants and my pets, And that is what GRIEVES me the most" Can you name the movie????

"Remember Ladies.... If you don't stand for something, You'll fall for anything..."
bitsman
FORUM BENEFACTOR 2016

Re: Any HAM's out there

Postby jeffchance » Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:23 pm

Don't have my ticket yet but own 4 of the Baofeng UV5-RE's. Very good, affordable radios. Kind of the SNS of the HAM bands. If you get one (or more) be sure to get the prolific cable in order to program them. There are several good groups on FB that can help. Amazon has most of the available models. If you go that route, get one shipped from Baofeng Tech as they are the US Service Center and will honor the warranty.

I have mine programmed for all the pertinent frequencies here and have one mounted in the truck with an external antenna for mobile ops.

If you get a Baofeng or Pofung (same radio, different badge) give me a shout and I'll forward you the links I have for the groups and study guides.

JEFF
01 FFL
Certified Glock Armorer
www.jandnguns.com
SEMPER FI
jeffchance
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby bitsman » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:16 am

Thanks Jeff.. Those are the ones I am looking at... Or the BF-888 series.... You can get 2 of the 888's for less then $35 it seems.. but you dont have the key pad which I would imagine is a handy feature from time to time... Get lots of questions... Check you PM....
"You broke into my house, Stole my property, Murdered my Servants and my pets, And that is what GRIEVES me the most" Can you name the movie????

"Remember Ladies.... If you don't stand for something, You'll fall for anything..."
bitsman
FORUM BENEFACTOR 2016

Postby GunWebsites » Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:42 pm

i am a HAM, but not a "high speed low drag" one at all.. I have fun every so often and enjoy the gadgets

I actually just bought one of these off amazon, its still in the box, i've been too busy to open it, but the radio and all its parts, a PC cable and Ext mic were all under $60 shipped

I hear nothing but good things about them

this $60 oone will live in my car, the Kenwwod will stay safely at home
Those who adapt control the future
Gun Websites
GunWebsites
500+ Rounds Club. Zamak Hoarding Weird+

Postby bitsman » Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:57 pm

Bought one of those Baofeng bf888 .. Not really what I wanted, but the price was right and it came with a programming cable. I figure I can use this to learn a few things then upgrade once I actually have my HAM license in hand.

bitsman
FORUM BENEFACTOR 2016

Postby ace » Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:06 pm

The barfing radios are a great low cost starter level ham radio. The only drawback that I have found is that the menu options take some getting used to. I use the uv5r v2+ daily on my comute
ace
Plinker

Postby FergusonTO35 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:25 am

I've always wondered, what do HAM operators do exactly? Sounds like a cool hobby that you don't hear much about.
"If magic is to be defined as the use of ineffective means to allay anxiety when effective ones are not available, then we must conclude that no society will ever be completely free from it." -Keith Thomas, Religion and the Decline of Magic, 1971.
FergusonTO35
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby ace » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:09 pm

Use of two way radios to talk to other hams. Depending on the class of licence and frequency you can talk anywhere from the neighbor next door to halfway around the world. If you are interested a good place to start looking is www.arrl.org. Just a warning though it can be addicting and expensive.
ace
Plinker

Postby bitsman » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:15 pm

I dont think I gonna go hog wild with this... Just think its some good knowledge to have... Kinda like knowing CPR and the EMT training I had..

bitsman
FORUM BENEFACTOR 2016

Postby jeffchance » Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:47 pm

Ham radio can be as addictive as SNS firearms.
Both are good to have when you need them.
JEFF
01 FFL
Certified Glock Armorer
www.jandnguns.com
SEMPER FI
jeffchance
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Next

Return to DIY Forum