What was your firsr Mil/surp?

The Military Surplus Forum is dedicated to military surplus firearms.
This group included actual surplus firearms such as the various models of Mosin–Nagants, Mauser, SKS..... or other antiques, curio & relics, and reproductions. Also included are civilian models of actual military weapons sold to the US civilian market.

Moderators: FergusonTO35, farmkid, jeffchance, Flowmaster, 356, pockets, martin08, adam01364, Mr Saturday Night Special

Re: What was your firsr Mil/surp?

Postby pockets » Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:01 am

Ferguson's post reminded me......
When I lived in Australia back in the early 1970s, I was gifted a lovely SMLE MkIII. But I returned it to the gift-or when I moved to New Zealand.
Yeah, that was back when you could own freely stuff in Australia.
POCKETS
"adventures are not all pony-rides in May-sunshine"
pockets
Gun Tech Lord. Master of GUN TECH - Diagrams, Manuals, Catalogs, and Information Links

Postby FordMan59 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:32 am

My first mil surplus was a 1943 Izhevsk Mosin-Nagant 91/30 purchased in 2012 for $106. out the door. This was intended to be my only Mosin-Nagant 91/30 but a few months later I was in the same store and noticed a really clean 91/30 on display and ask to see it. Upon inspection I found the bluing to be nearly perfect and it was a 1937 Tula. It was so nice looking and only about $135 out the door I just had to bring it home. There are no signs of any rust anywhere on the gun, and only one small ding a few inches from the end on the muzzle end of the barrel. Of course having 2 of them now I had to order some surplus ammo. First case I bought was 880 rounds. A few weeks later I found 600 round cases of surplus on stripper clips and ordered 3 cases of it. When I got it I opened the surplus cans took the ammo off the stripper clips and stored it in a 20 caliber ammo can and sold the stripper clips on eBay, minus 24 for personal use. I can barely lift the 20 caliber can off the floor now. I got enough out of the stripper clips to pay for both rifles and all the ammo, so I'll be shooting my Mosin-Nagants free for the next several years and when the surplus ammo is gone I'll still have a couple free Mosins.
FordMan59
Gunslinger

Postby jeffchance » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:06 am

Mosin 91/30, 1934 Tula hex receiver. Paid $105. Then found 600 rounds of surplus silver tip (painted). I've only shot 20 rounds thru it but it's accurate and works. And, yes, the cosmoline is still creeping out of the stock.
JEFF
01 FFL
Certified Glock Armorer
www.jandnguns.com
SEMPER FI
jeffchance
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby FarmallB » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:17 pm

I still have never bought a milsurp. I was motivated a few years ago to find a Mosin to buy but I never did. I would love to find an Enfield 2a much like Fergie.

However, my Dad, 83, has a WW1 German Luger that his father brought back from the Great War. My grandfather had emigrated from Sweden and had only been here two years and then fought for his new country in WW1. He received the purple heart.

The gun came home with five rounds in the mag and stayed that way for 70 years, most of that time in Dad's sock drawer. In the 80's, I took it apart and cleaned it and we now store it with those rounds separate but with the gun for nostalgia sake. My Dad tempted to fire it a few different times in the 50's when he was young but never did. I've since wanted to let a smith look at it just to let me know if it could safely be fired. It would probably be fine with lower power 9mm rounds. Over the years, it has become a bit of a family heirloom between my Dad and me. If I remember right, it was made in 1913 although I haven't looked at it for a few years now.
FarmallB
Hardcore

Postby FarmallB » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:20 pm

While we're here on the milsurp topic, what has happened to Martin 08? I always enjoyed his posts and photography.

Also, I miss 356 as well. He was an insightful member of this forum.
FarmallB
Hardcore

Postby Papa G » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:57 am

FarmallB wrote:While we're here on the milsurp topic, what has happened to Martin 08? I always enjoyed his posts and photography.

Also, I miss 356 as well. He was an insightful member of this forum.

I always hated that good people drop out with not so much as a good bye, it leaves me wondering if they are ok. :cry:
the Founding Fathers...the original T-party extremist's
Papa G
Zamak Hoarding Weirdo FORUM BENEFACTOR

Postby 84minieldo » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:35 pm

iirc someone here died in 2016..pretty sure it wasnt martin tho,tho he never responded to my request for an apprenticeship at whatever it is that he do
84minieldo
Zamak Hoarding Weirdo FORUM BENEFACTOR

Postby adam01364 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:09 am

That was Ampersand, he lived in the Las Vegas area. :cry:
Image Image
adam01364
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby LCPfraTN » Mon May 29, 2017 7:57 pm

Decided to bump this thread since I haven't posted in awhile. My first milsurp purchase was a threesome. After I received my initial C&R license, I ordered a Walther P1, a Polish P-64 (9x18 mak) and a Mosin Nagant revolver from AIM for less than $500 total if I remember correctly. I told myself at the time that I was only going to buy C&R handguns. Well, one large gun safe and three large gun cabinets later, I think I've finally slowed down a bit with buying milsurp long guns, but I'm sure I never reached the level of Martin08. :D
LCPfraTN
700+ Rounds Club. Official Forum Gun Nut

Previous

Return to The Military Surplus Forum.