Totally Not Another Nagant Project

The Military Surplus Forum is dedicated to military surplus firearms.
This group included actual surplus firearms such as the various models of Mosin–Nagants, Mauser, SKS..... or other antiques, curio & relics, and reproductions. Also included are civilian models of actual military weapons sold to the US civilian market.

Moderators: FergusonTO35, 356, pockets, farmkid, jeffchance, Flowmaster, adam01364, martin08, Mr Saturday Night Special

Totally Not Another Nagant Project

Postby JupiterPaladin » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:26 pm

OK so as my sarcastic title implies, I have gotten my hands on a bubba'd Mosin Nagant 91/30. As some of you know I had a pristine example a year ago and a collector saw my pics online and made me an offer I couldn't refuse and I needed the money so I let it go. I was sad to see it go. My stepson that had come with me to pick mine up decided to get one of his own. After I did the refinishing project on his grandfather's Mark II rifle, he decided to give it a go for himself on the Mosin. Well, he was less than capable, or responsible for that matter. He shot it over the course of 3 months and only cleaned it once because I made him. The corrosive ammo left a bit of damage. This is why he wanted to try a refinish project. His chronic laziness and unorganized methods left him with a completely disassembled rifle in which some parts are missing, and the only thing he managed to do was lose some parts and sand the finish off of the stock. Realizing it was beyond his skill and willingness to commit to the project, he decided it was best to donate it to me, along with the remaining 750+ rounds of the nice steel core surplus ammo, the same as I had before. I didn't get pictures from the very beginning because I just moved (long story, getting a divorce on very good terms, moved, keeping my daughter). Life has been hectic. I just unpacked the camera tonight just to get pics of this project. All I have done so far is I took rubbing alcohol and wiped down every metal part where I could. There was a light coat of rust forming over almost everything. 90% of it came off with just alcohol. Open to suggestions on cleaning the receiver and barrel out. It looks surprisingly decent given that amount of neglect. Here are pics:

And for those of you who know something about me, I figured I'd start with the obvious and fabricate a new trigger pin (took a size 21 drill bit and cut it to 19.3mm, original was 18.5mm so this one has no wiggle in he stock which I prefer, and even beveled the cut edges) and made 2 springs (1 is about 1.5lb and the other is maybe 2.0lb force, modified from electric motor carbon brush springs):

Since the stock is already sanded (poorly) which ruined any chance of a classic restoration given my current supplies, I was thinking of a few options which will not cost me anything. I'll put it to a vote and see what you all think.

Stock options - light walnut, dark walnut, black paint, red paint, glossy white paint
Barreled receiver options - Leave as is, redo the bluing, sand polish & coat for a stainless look
Hardware options - Leave as is, paint black, paint white, paint red, sand to steel color and coat

Redoing the bluing is the only option that would cost anything so is my least likely choice... For now...
JupiterPaladin
Zamak Hoarding Weirdo

Re: Totally Not Another Nagant Project

Postby LCPfraTN » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:01 pm

I think I'd leave the metal as is other than maybe do some light rubbing with 0000 steel wool and oil on the rust areas. Then I'd just apply several coats of BLO on the stock and finish with wax. Check out the Surplus Rifle Forum for many stock restoration threads.
LCPfraTN
700+ Rounds Club. Official Forum Gun Nut

Postby adam01364 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:01 am

^^^THIS^^^
Image Image
adam01364
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby martin08 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:31 pm

For the most authentic finish, find the lightest colored (redish brown) stain, and finish with amber shellac.
martin08
Mosin Master

Postby farmkid » Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:07 pm

JupiterPaladin wrote:...

Stock options - strap to step-son, spray heavily with red paint. Subsequent coats with glossy white are optional, but recommended. Top off with gold, since that's the huffers' Ace of Spades.

Barreled receiver options - Leave as is, until a smarter step-son shows up; then reblue after fitting to a new stock.

Hardware options - Leave as is, as above.
A PERFECT WORLD: start with the fifties, remove racial segregation, insert internet. Factor Edsels to the power of 3 and multiply by Tom Terrific. Paradise!
farmkid
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby farmkid » Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:13 pm

More seriously...

JupiterPaladin wrote:...because I just moved (long story, getting a divorce on very good terms, moved, keeping my daughter)...

The Mosin is hardly the heart of this restoration nightmare; the fact that you're keeping your daughter is the great news. I don't know the details of your relationship with your step-son, but if the divorce is that amicable, and if he's willing to learn something, you could continue to teach him your skills. OTOH, I'm not sure that he's willing. :)
A PERFECT WORLD: start with the fifties, remove racial segregation, insert internet. Factor Edsels to the power of 3 and multiply by Tom Terrific. Paradise!
farmkid
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby JupiterPaladin » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:01 pm

My divorce is as amicable as they come. My stepson's issue was never willingness to learn, it was willingness to DO. He is one of the laziest people I have ever met and the last decade of my attempt to mentor could not break his defeatist attitude. Basically if there is a chance of failure at something he uses that to rationalize not even trying to avoid failure. I have no clue why he is like that and could not change it. He is almost 27 now. He was living with me for the last 10 years or so and I let him stay even after his mom left. He (and his girlfriend that was also with us) finally decided to move out and left me this project knowing that he would never even try to restore it. His dismal disposition on life is the real sad part. I can and will save the rifle. Life will have to fix his attitude.
JupiterPaladin
Zamak Hoarding Weirdo

Postby JupiterPaladin » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:12 pm

Back to the rifle project, I was also wondering about cutting this beast down a bit. I saw a few really nice shorter versions on YouTube. If I were to cut down the stock to use just 1 barrel band, would it hurt anything?

I really like this one!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTl2v6ycpvQ
JupiterPaladin
Zamak Hoarding Weirdo

Postby adam01364 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:53 am

My hunch is you'll need both barrel bands to keep the upper hand guard securely in place. The one in the you tube video looks to have been moved backward for that reason.
Image Image
adam01364
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby farmkid » Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:33 pm

adam01364 wrote:My hunch is you'll need both barrel bands to keep the upper hand guard securely in place. The one in the you tube video looks to have been moved backward for that reason.

For sure. You'll need to cut down the stock and the hand guard, and then contour them to fit the relocated front band.
farmkid
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Return to The Military Surplus Forum.