Rusted stuck Luger,HELP!!!

The Military Surplus Forum is dedicated to military surplus firearms.
This group included actual surplus firearms such as the various models of Mosin–Nagants, Mauser, SKS..... or other antiques, curio & relics, and reproductions. Also included are civilian models of actual military weapons sold to the US civilian market.

Moderators: FergusonTO35, 356, pockets, farmkid, jeffchance, Flowmaster, adam01364, martin08, Mr Saturday Night Special

Rusted stuck Luger,HELP!!!

Postby 84minieldo » Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:36 pm

Martin is gonna cry...So I got some projects from a friend, they were his dads who lived in galveston(coastal) who had been blind for some time then his house was mostly destroyed by hurricane Ike...well these guys sat for years now and I wanna make em function,some may not be safe to shoot due to HEAVY pitting,but I wanna make able to be taken apart and hand cycle at least here's a Luger from what I see numbers match he said it may be a repro tho... Image Image
84minieldo
Zamak Hoarding Weirdo FORUM BENEFACTOR

Re: Rusted stuck Luger,HELP!!!

Postby Flowmaster » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:25 am

A seasoned vet like Martin needs to take a good look at that thing before you do much of anything to it. That may be worth a few hundred bucks even in its current state if its something rare. You win. Seriously, nice score. Did he give them to you to keep or are you just going to fix them up for the old guy?
Flowmaster
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby 84minieldo » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:49 am

Alright this one may not be so bad only real pitting is by the safety lever and the trigger moves, all #s match it says 1920 on the top and the rest of the serial #s match right including the mag..btw the serial is 83xxO if that help any one to tell me the age of this gun
84minieldo

Postby martin08 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:25 pm

Good job getting things moving. This is going to be a case for extreme patience.

Is the 1920 on top of the barrel extension frame accompanied by another date? Many WWI-era Lugers were reassigned to Police duty during the post-war period, as Germany was not allowed to produce military guns. Most, if not all 1920's builds were not in 9mm, but instead in 7.63X25 (30 Luger).

If you can CAREFULLY remove the grips, this one is a candidate for my favorite anti-rust soaking mixture, PB Blaster and automatic transmission fluid. I put an entire Luger inside a plastic bag with this mixture for about six months, and most of the rust wiped off with a rag. A brass brush took the stubborn oxidation away.

Never use an abrasive, as sanding or stripping of the original blue can diminish a gun's value to the Nth degree.
martin08
Mosin Master

Postby Flowmaster » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:16 pm

That's a good idea. I've never heard of that recipe. The transmission fluid has a bunch of detergents in it.
Flowmaster
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby american lockpicker » Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:43 pm

Soak it in kroil.
Jag hatar skjutvapen kontroll

When a man is denied the right to live the life he believes in, he has no choice but to become an outlaw. - Nelson Mandela
american lockpicker
700+ Rounds Club. Official Forum Gun Nut

Postby 84minieldo » Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:16 pm

Well got the grips off Image Image Image Image
84minieldo

Postby american lockpicker » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:51 am

You might be better off scraping the magazine once its removed and just buying a nice used one or a modern replica from Mecgar or similar.
Jag hatar skjutvapen kontroll

When a man is denied the right to live the life he believes in, he has no choice but to become an outlaw. - Nelson Mandela
american lockpicker
700+ Rounds Club. Official Forum Gun Nut

Postby 84minieldo » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:32 pm

martin08 wrote:Good job getting things moving. This is going to be a case for extreme patience.

If you can CAREFULLY remove the grips, this one is a candidate for my favorite anti-rust soaking mixture, PB Blaster and automatic transmission fluid. I put an entire Luger inside a plastic bag with this mixture for about six months, and most of the rust wiped off with a rag. A brass brush took the stubborn oxidation away.

Never use an abrasive, as sanding or stripping of the original blue can diminish a gun's value to the Nth degree.

This is why
84minieldo

Postby 84minieldo » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:28 pm

Lol I'm dumb
84minieldo

Next

Return to The Military Surplus Forum.