Model Names Questions

Moderators: FergusonTO35, farmkid, jeffchance, Flowmaster, 356, pockets, martin08, adam01364, Mr Saturday Night Special

Model Names Questions

Postby FarmallB » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:26 pm

Just a general question. What does the "59" represent in the Bryco model 59? Also, the Jennings Model 48. What does the "48" stand for? I'm sure there are some similar SNS's out there with unique titles or model numbers.
FarmallB
Hardcore

Re: Model Names Questions

Postby 84minieldo » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:26 pm

I'm guessing it's the number of prototypes that exploded until they found something that'd last 100 rds at the factory
84minieldo
Zamak Hoarding Weirdo FORUM BENEFACTOR

Postby 84minieldo » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:26 pm

Or maybe how many times u can shoot it before it explodes,idk
84minieldo
Zamak Hoarding Weirdo FORUM BENEFACTOR

Postby adam01364 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:04 pm

Farmall, That's an interesting question. A few years ago I tried to figure something out that made some logical sense but... no luck. See below

1st gun: J22?
2nd gun: J25?
3rd gun: M38?
4th gun M48?
5th guns: M58 & M59?
But then the Jennings Nine blows this sequence out of the water.

Minieldo's tongue-in-cheek guess is as good as mine.
Oh, I've got an idea! Maybe Adare can ask Paul Jimenez the next time they talk. ;)
Image Image
adam01364
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby FergusonTO35 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:02 am

Most SNS have quite uncreative model names. Usually, the prefix describes the gun or it's maker in some way and the suffix is the caliber. For example, the Raven P-25 could be decoded as "Pistol, caliber .25". Or the Hi-Point C9 would be "Compact, 9mm" as their other offerings are certainly not compact. The Jennings J-22 presumably got the J prefix because, when the firm started, Bruce's dad George was already using the P prefix. When Jennings started making centerfires, they gave the .25 Auto pistol the name "Model 25", presumably because of the caliber. However this doesn't explain the model 38, 48 , 58 and 59. When Jennings rolled out it's double stack 9mm they wanted everyone to know it, with "Jennings Nine" in big print on the slide. I wonder if this was an unspoken effort to market the pistol on the street, as rap music was filled with references to the "nine" at the time.

There are a few deviations out there. The larger Hi-Points use model numbers that sound like ammo descriptors, i.e. JHP and JCP. Sundance used the name "Point Blank" for it's derringer which is actually a pretty good name for this sort of gun. Of course, FIE continued to use the Titan name on a variety of guns, including the domestic versions of previous Italian imports.
"If magic is to be defined as the use of ineffective means to allay anxiety when effective ones are not available, then we must conclude that no society will ever be completely free from it." -Keith Thomas, Religion and the Decline of Magic, 1971.
FergusonTO35
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Return to Bryco Firearms Forum