Bryco Model 59 - finally!

Moderators: FergusonTO35, farmkid, jeffchance, Flowmaster, 356, pockets, martin08, adam01364, Mr Saturday Night Special

Bryco Model 59 - finally!

Postby adam01364 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:16 pm

October seems to have been Bryco Model 59 9mm month for me.
Scored a pair of parts kits here: http://www.gunbroker.com/item/699527387
and then a Model 59 here: http://www.gunbroker.com/item/704186122

Anyone have one of these, and is there anything I should be aware of?

Image Image
adam01364
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Re: Bryco Model 59 - finally!

Postby jeffchance » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:06 pm

Mine works just fine but missing the safety lever.
Could not find one so I hardly ever have it out. They use a different firing pin, if I recall, so another reason I don't shoot it as I'm nervous about breaking it.
They use the flat base mags but the newer JA-9 style will work just fine.
That's about all I can remember.
Oh yes, congrats on the new addition. :D
JEFF
01 FFL
Certified Glock Armorer
www.jandnguns.com
SEMPER FI
jeffchance
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby adam01364 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:28 am

jeffchance wrote:Mine works just fine but missing the safety lever. Could not find one so I hardly ever have it out.

I've got three of those incredibly flimsy safety levers. I'll send you one.

jeffchance wrote:They use a different firing pin, if I recall, so another reason I don't shoot it as I'm nervous about breaking it.

Ohhh, I assumed they were the same as the J-Nine. Now I'll have to take a look. Wonder if the J-Nine F/P would work?

jeffchance wrote:They use the flat base mags but the newer JA-9 style will work just fine.
Yeah, I'm going to tweak one or mebbe two of the mags I got in the parts kits to work in a J-Nine.
Image Image
adam01364
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby jeffchance » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:57 pm

The safety lever would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. :D
Seems like the rear of the firing pin was where the difference was, maybe the fit through the takedown button, which by the way, are real unicorn teeth.
JEFF
01 FFL
Certified Glock Armorer
www.jandnguns.com
SEMPER FI
jeffchance
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby adam01364 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:28 am

Yeah that takedown button is another piece of wunderkrap-design on the M59; it's not robust at all. Fortunately mine is okay and I actually have a spare. :D
I also have two broken ones. :x
FYI: Numrich has reproductions of the takedown buttons, they made them out of steel, instead of zamak. ;)
Image Image
adam01364
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby pockets » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:10 am

I never could get the Model 59 that I had to function properly. It did some interesting things though.
Half the time it would jam on feeding, then pop the next round in the magazine into the air.
Note that it shot fine...but usually only one or two rounds before it stopped.
Traded it for a new Hi-Point after awhile....which I eventually sold to get a used NAA Mini.
POCKETS
"adventures are not all pony-rides in May-sunshine"
pockets
Gun Tech Lord. Master of GUN TECH - Diagrams, Manuals, Catalogs, and Information Links

Postby Flowmaster » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:35 pm

I've got a 59 parts gun in my stuff that I got in a three-gun deal. The guy said I had to buy all 3, just to get them out of his inventory as he was closing his gunsmithing business. He had bought them cheap and robbed parts off of the 3 guns over time as customers came in looking for stuff. I think I paid something like $40 for all 3 guns back in the day. I got a couple of j22s in the deal and that 59 that I still haven't finished. I did manage to find a magazine for it in a box at a gun show marked "$10 each" which was a nice find. I still need to find some other stuff to get it going. My police/evidence marked Lorcin is a little higher on my list of priorities and for no good reason.
Flowmaster
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby jeffchance » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:16 pm

Got the safety lever from Adam, MUCH APPRECIATED. :D
Now my Model 59 is complete.
While it was apart, I rembered about the firing pin. It is a long nose on the pin as it is used as an ejector like Hi Points. The JA-9 used a short nosed pin and a frame mounted ejector. Also the tailpiece is narrow and just barely protrudes from the take down button, where the JA-9 has the orange plastic piece for the cocked indicator.
I hardly shoot it as I am afraid of something rare breaking, but I at least have a complete and functional Model 59.
JEFF
01 FFL
Certified Glock Armorer
www.jandnguns.com
SEMPER FI
jeffchance
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby David Vincent » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:25 pm

if you shoot it much you will need a new slide LOL.

i have a few of these in 380acp but they dont really work either. Almost every function has issues. Extraction system... sucks. Feeding ..... sucks. Accuracy..... sucks. Sights .....sucks. magazines... the worst i have ever seen. Safety is a joke and breaks if you look at it funny.

all in all they are pretty lousy even for a plinker. The 9mms I shot in the past were marginally more reliable but NOT durable at all.

Ergos are actually pretty good. Nice balance... nice weight (in 380). i think the most I have ever got one to function is maybe 5 rounds in a row before a malfunction of various kinds. Mostly magazine and extraction related and there is just not much you can do to improve it. Its a very strange magazine in the bryco full size guns. Double stack with ultra narrow shoulders... a single stack magazine spring.... and a follower that is kind of weird. add to that the magazines are some of the thinnest sheet metal i have ever seen (similar to the old alpha mags) and you end up with a real POS feeding system combine with a very steep angle on the feed ramp.

These are the worst bryco, jimenez abominations ever made IMO. I have lorcins more durable and reliable than these. I am going to make one more attempt on a LC380 before completely give up on this design.
David Vincent
500+ Rounds Club. Zamak Hoarding Weird+

Return to Bryco Firearms Forum