JA32 now a jam o matic

Moderators: FergusonTO35, jeffchance, Flowmaster, 356, pockets, farmkid, adam01364, martin08, Mr Saturday Night Special

JA32 now a jam o matic

Postby Don » Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:29 am

Had my ja32 for a few years now and its always been reliable with the right ammo. Recently it has been acting up even with the ammo that worked well in the past. Lots of failures to eject. I broke it down and noticed that there were some burrs on the breach face so I carefully sanded them off. I took out the firing pin and racked some rounds through it but had lots of hang ups. Haven't live fired it but I'm concerned that old reliable is now a permanent PIA. :cry:

Don
Don
Hardcore

Re: JA32 now a jam o matic

Postby adam01364 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:48 pm

Don wrote:Lots of failures to eject.

Don, have you checked the extractor and extractor spring?
Image Image
adam01364
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby Don » Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:03 pm

I did look at them and they seem fine to me but I'm not sure I'd recognize a problem with them.

Don
Don
Hardcore

Postby adam01364 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:52 am

Don,
The design of the JA32 is pretty simple, not much to it.
1. You'll want the extractor to move freely and have good spring tension. Sometimes crud gets underneath the extractor arm and it fails to fully return to position. Punch out the pin, remove the extractor and the extractor spring, clean the channels thoroughly with some Hoppes and a Q-Tip, and maybe stretch the spring a tad, and reassemble it into the slide.
2. While the slide is off, make sure that ammo drops fully into (and comes out of) the chamber freely.
3. Take some of your spent casings, and check to see if they fall out of the chamber freely as well.
4. Check the firing pin and spring, the F/P has a dual role as the ejector. If you haven’t invested in some snap caps, now would be the time and you’ll want to cycle the snap caps thru the pistol to make sure you’ve resolved the issue.

Also you may want to try another brand of ammo just to remove it as a variable.
Image Image
adam01364
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby FergusonTO35 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:58 pm

What he said. You may want to just call up Jimenez and tell them about the problem. They will probably be happy to send you some tune up parts for free. Believe it or not, some people report that a worn recoil spring can cause FTE.
"If magic is to be defined as the use of ineffective means to allay anxiety when effective ones are not available, then we must conclude that no society will ever be completely free from it." -Keith Thomas, Religion and the Decline of Magic, 1971.
FergusonTO35
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby David Vincent » Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:55 pm

unless you have something really funky going on with the chamber I would say its an easy fix. Detailed cleaning first. after that spring replacement of firing pin spring (ejector spring) and extractor spring. after that possibly a new extractor or (if your skilled) refit your existing extractor.

as stated earlier all ejection function must be done with an empty shell. One that slides into the chamber fairly easily. some SNS gun wont give you a real accurate assessment,of ejection with a live round. The extra weight, length, and speed of extraction plays a role here. a live round will often fall off the breach face due to weight and length. Some like Ravens and davis guns have enclosed steel breach faces which fully support the superior case head on extraction. Its a superior feature on a couple of levels and not many SNS guns have it. Its not real common with other pistols either. makarovs have it though. Tokarevs do not.
David Vincent
600+ Rounds Club.Zamak Hoarding Weird++

Postby Flowmaster » Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:30 pm

My JA32 is ammo sensitive. I don't remember whether it liked American or European ammo. Some 32acp ammo will have a larger bullet diameter than others, even just slightly. That might be enough to cause a problem, who knows.

Make sure the chamber is really clean. I didn't have to polish mine or anything, I just try to keep it clean. I have a few Boresnakes but I still clean my guns for real with an old fashioned cleaning rod if I'm doing an in-depth cleaning and I always get barrels a lot cleaner with a rod than I do with a Boresnake. Its weird though because I'll pull a Boresnake through a gun and think it looks pretty good. Then if I clean it 2 minutes later with a rod and a brush I get so much more junk out of the barrel. The barrel itself will look the same but wow does more stuff come out on the patches.
Flowmaster
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby David Vincent » Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:53 am

Bore snakes are basically good for the range and a quick brushing at the range. I uses them when cleaning barrels but only as a final pull through after brass brushes and solvent.

at the range, when your done shooting, they are a good way to get a head start on cleaning. Spray some rem oil or whatever down the barrel,and pull the snake through a few times. when you get back home then you the detailed cleaning will be a bit easier.

NOw with SNS guns. They always operate much better when clean. They can be dirty little suckers. especially with the rimfire sns guns. i wont even go shoot a j22 without a bore snake, remoil, toothbrush, and a few cue-tips. Seems like they start to get quirky after 50 rounds or so depending on ammo.

Bore snakes are fantastic range tools though.

chamber is the biggest concern. I am a bit OCD on barrel cleaning but its really not that important. i always run a bore snake through before i shoot any rifle or handgun just as a safety.
David Vincent
600+ Rounds Club.Zamak Hoarding Weird++

Postby Don » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:14 pm

Wanted to thank Adam for his tips. I removed the extractor and cleaned it and the channel it sits in. Took me awhile to get around to it but I finally did it and I'm glad I did. Took it to the range today and ran 2 mags through it(fully loaded) and didn't have one malfunction. Thanks all for the knowledgeable replies it really helped me out now the JA32 can go back into carry rotation.

Don
Don
Hardcore

Postby adam01364 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:41 pm

Glad to hear that, Don!
Image Image
adam01364
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Return to Jimenez Pistol Forum