I got a T-380

Moderators: FergusonTO35, jeffchance, Flowmaster, 356, pockets, farmkid, adam01364, martin08, Mr Saturday Night Special

Re: I got a T-380

Postby David Vincent » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:39 pm

lots of parts on ebay right now for pt58. Same for gunbroker. Gunbroker has mags new as low as $50 which is pretty cheap for taurus mags.
David Vincent
600+ Rounds Club.Zamak Hoarding Weird++

Postby FergusonTO35 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:12 am

You da man here, David Vincent. There are alot of interesting guns that I just don't get excited about because parts are hard to find and/or the manufacturer is probably going to make it walk the plank for something else soon. Ruger is getting really bad about this.
"If magic is to be defined as the use of ineffective means to allay anxiety when effective ones are not available, then we must conclude that no society will ever be completely free from it." -Keith Thomas, Religion and the Decline of Magic, 1971.
FergusonTO35
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby David Vincent » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:28 pm

FergusonTO35 wrote:You da man here, David Vincent. There are alot of interesting guns that I just don't get excited about because parts are hard to find and/or the manufacturer is probably going to make it walk the plank for something else soon. Ruger is getting really bad about this.

ruger is getting really bad about a lot of things LOL. The only quality pistol in the lineup that can take a real classic ruger style beating is the American. Something like 25,000 rounds of 9mm nato without issue. The rest of their offering are fragile junk that looks "cool" or whatever.

They still make very good revolvers, excellent mini 14 etc. but those are old designs that were around when Bill was running things. Their new products have been pretty lousy. The security 9 is a joke of a gun. I think Hipoints can outlast them.

S&W is getting to be the same. They have the M&P. Thats about it. The SD9 is a cheapened sigma. The bodyguards still dont run. The Shield is OK but the Honor Guard clone is a better made gun and internally is a different animal. I would say the Honar Guard does everything better than the shield. Add to that S&W wants you to send the entire gun in for simple parts breakage and they are nothing but a pain in the rear.

Sigs always have problems unless you getting one of the classic series guns. Taurus best pistol is still the 92. Glocks basically just making different versions of the original glock 17. For as much money as glock makes you would think they could come up with something new.

We have pretty much gone backwards in pistol advancement since glocks got popular.

Beretta is still pretty good but they went kind of cheap and clunky compared to the works of art they used to put out (beretta will sell parts though unlike others)
FN dumped the hipower but their polymer guns are tough as nails and run like the old rugers (no parts)
HK still puts out a good product and prices have come down (No parts)
Steyr M1As are pretty overlooked but are better than glocks IMO (in my hands anyways) (No parts)
Springfield XDs are solid guns for what they are but nothing special (parts come and go)

thats all that really comes to mind right now. Most of the pocket guns are less durable than ravens and run in to issues far sooner than ravens ever do. Triggers are so lousy that you can hit with them past 10 yards. Maybe one of these days someone will get smart and just copy a raven useing quality materials and chamber it in 32. The LCP2 is basically a single action only pistol and no where near as accurate as any raven I have.

anyways... these days the best way to do it if you want to have a parts supply available is to find a platform where so many were made that there seems to be an infinate supply of parts either from destroyed frames or military surplus. Berettas are great for this, 1911s, Makarovs, glocks etc. Then you want to make sure companies like wolff make springs for them.

Glocks are a given I just think they are silly outside the 10mm. They are expensive grom the get go and then I have to replace parts or heavily modify them to get them up to standards with other cheaper guns. And there is no cure for the cheap magazine design they use. I get that people get obsessed with them but its all in their head. Ruger P series guns are more durable than any glock. You dont even need spare parts for them as nothing ever breaks.

interesting new guns??? I dont know of anything new coming. Taurus spectrum maybe but there are already some things I am not liking just looking at the visually. Rubber traction inlays... really?.. Thats new springfild hammer fired XD might be nice but I have not gotten my hands on one yet. Hipoint 10mm pistol and carbine might be neat if they can hold up to some full power loads. If not you might as well just stick with the 40s&w hipoints. At least with hipoints you KNOW you can get parts.

I would say these days the best bargain is probably all the innexpensive no frills basic 1911s. Lots to choose from. Lots of calibers. Accurate and durable once dialed in. Parts are endless and innexpensive. Great shooters and easy to be accurate with at distances beyond spitting at the target. Even the very cheapest $350-$400 1911s are all very solid. All the market competition has really put the old browning design in a place where you can get quality and performance for very little money in almost any caliber you want... the best being 45 and 38super IMO for that platform. 9mm 1911s are great cheap plinkers though. Sure would be nice if Hipowers got popular again like the 1911s have.
David Vincent
600+ Rounds Club.Zamak Hoarding Weird++

Postby FergusonTO35 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:24 pm

Agree wholeheartedly. The only real reason I have four Glocks is because parts and accessories practically grow on trees. Also, they use the same essential design for all their guns and don't throw it overboard in favor of something completely new and unproven when they want to make an update or introduce a new variant. If Glock was Ruger, then the Glock 42 would be a metal frame DA/SA blowback similar to the Walther PPK while the 43 would be a 1911 clone.

The Ruger "Security 9" is not a worthy heir to a name similar to Security Six. It is way overpriced at $300.00 when you can buy the S&W SD series for the same or less. The SD at least does have a design heritage of over 20 years, comes with two mags, is stainless, and offers the choice of 9mm or .40 S&W. Honestly, I would take a Hi-Point over the Security 9 any day.

I'm really glad I got my Browning Hi-Power when I did. I think it could sell alot more if FN/Browning could get the real world price down to around $5-600.00. My understanding is that the tooling for it was worn out and FN didn't see any reason to spend money on it when sales are going down on this model. Their biggest military customer, the UK, is transitioning to Glock and Browning USA was only selling a few thousand a year. Not many weirdos like me will drop over a grand on a new one when nice used ones can still be found at half the price.
"If magic is to be defined as the use of ineffective means to allay anxiety when effective ones are not available, then we must conclude that no society will ever be completely free from it." -Keith Thomas, Religion and the Decline of Magic, 1971.
FergusonTO35
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Previous

Return to Jimenez Pistol Forum