Latest Hi-Point build

Moderators: FergusonTO35, jeffchance, Flowmaster, 356, pockets, farmkid, adam01364, martin08, Mr Saturday Night Special

Re: Latest Hi-Point build

Postby David Vincent » Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:13 pm

rubber sleeves are an option i just think they look like....rubber sleeves. Plus they are a pain to put on and off when cleaning.

The grips are tougher than they appear. Its only the top edge thats you have to keep an eye on and you dont have to do that area if you dont want because your grip doesnt is mostly effected in the palm area. if you do cover the entire surface you can dip it in a bowl of water if your haveing trouble controling the heat. as i said even if you do warp it you can fix it.

I have probably done over ten now and have not lost one yet. I think I paid $20 for the soldering iron and it came with everything. Its a tool you can use over and over on a multitude of things.

Call up hipoint and they will probably send you a free set.

You can do the frame as well I just dont. I think all my polymer hipoint frames are grey as well and stippling colored plastic does not give the same result.

The big hump un the front strap can be flattened as well to equal the same thickness as the bottom of the strap. There is a lot of extra material there. I did this to one of my aluminum frame model Cs that I converted to a 380 and it came out great. It gives the gun a more traditional feel. got rid of that silly trigger guard hook as well.

nothing is better than nothing with hipoint grips though. I think a catfish has more traction than the factory hipoint grip. its ridiculous. They are great guns though for the money. torture tests are legendary. I am a huge believer in this beefed up raven design that laughs at major calibers while still being a straight blowback. I wish a company would come out with a steel slide and full barrel design of this gun. I would pay a pretty good penny for it. The design ability to take abuse and neglect is completely underrated and lost in the brand bigotry/gun snob argument.
David Vincent
600+ Rounds Club.Zamak Hoarding Weird++

Postby FergusonTO35 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:27 pm

I wonder why HP went with a complicated inertia operated drop safety device instead of a firing pin block in the slide. I would think the latter would be more effective and easier to manufacture.
"If magic is to be defined as the use of ineffective means to allay anxiety when effective ones are not available, then we must conclude that no society will ever be completely free from it." -Keith Thomas, Religion and the Decline of Magic, 1971.
FergusonTO35
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby David Vincent » Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:03 pm

FergusonTO35 wrote:I wonder why HP went with a complicated inertia operated drop safety device instead of a firing pin block in the slide. I would think the latter would be more effective and easier to manufacture.

not sure. One of my mavericks does not have one at all. Another does. I think a FP block would have entailed a design change on more parts where as the inertia system really doesn't.

I do wish the newer versions had a Firing pin block though. Its interesting they went through the trouble of adding a LRHO feature but felt the safety was adequate on a single action striker.

will they ever make the change....eh, they have already made a lot of changes already. i think at this point they should just offer a new gun if they are going to tack on anything else.

I would like to see a new hipoint. The design is crude and works but i think they could do something even better now. There really is very little difference mechanically from the old guns.

the again they are classics so i would hate to see them discontinue anything as they are a pretty small company. I am kind of suprised they have not sold out to taurus or another company they pull sales away from. hopefully they never do.
David Vincent
600+ Rounds Club.Zamak Hoarding Weird++

Previous

Return to Hi-Point, Stallard, Maverick, Haskell, Maverick and Iberia firearms forum