Random magazine purchase

Moderators: FergusonTO35, jeffchance, Flowmaster, 356, pockets, farmkid, adam01364, martin08, Mr Saturday Night Special

Random magazine purchase

Postby adam01364 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:30 am

Picked up a few random .25ACP mags for $60. from a shop's dump bin, I think I got a pretty good deal. Always pays to ask to see what's kicking around.
Gunbroker prices:
Lorcin L25 mags sell for $26-$30
Bauer .25 mags sell for $37-$50
Sterling .25 mags sell for $30-$40
Raven mags are $11 (+shipping) from the factory

Top row, left to right: Lorcin L25, Bauer .25,
Bottom Row, left to right: Sterling Model 300, and a "Raven" magazine. (I've commented more about the "Raven" mag under in the Raven section.)

Image Image
adam01364
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Re: Random magazine purchase

Postby Papa G » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:28 am

adam01364 sez,,,"Raven mags are $11 (+shipping) from the factory."

I thought Raven was no longer in operation because of the legal actions after a kid was killed?
the Founding Fathers...the original T-party extremist's
Papa G
Zamak Hoarding Weirdo FORUM BENEFACTOR

Postby adam01364 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:22 am

Papa G wrote:adam01364 sez,,,"Raven mags are $11 (+shipping) from the factory."
I thought Raven was no longer in operation because of the legal actions after a kid was killed?

Nope. You may have heard something to that effect, but the SNS pistol in that sad event was a Bryco Model 38, and the poor kid who was shot and disabled was one Brandon Maxfield, who recently passed away. http://www.latimes.com/local/obituaries/la-me-brandon-maxfield-20161118-story.html The Bryco Model 38 became the Jimenez J.A.380

Anyway, Raven went out after the big fire. Phoenix Arms (Phoenix = Rising from the ashes) started off manufacturing the "Model Raven" which was the final revision of the Raven MP-25 with an addition mag safety disconnect. Although Phoenix no longer makes the Model Raven (a pity) the mags are available for it. Go here and scroll down, it's part # 130. https://www.phoenix-arms.com/collection ... components
Image Image
adam01364
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby Papa G » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:59 am

Thanks for the information adam01364. Being 70 years old and memory going to Shat, is not good fun! :( :cry:
the Founding Fathers...the original T-party extremist's
Papa G
Zamak Hoarding Weirdo FORUM BENEFACTOR

Postby FergusonTO35 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:16 am

Q: How do you double the value of a Lorcin?
A: Include a mag with it!
"If magic is to be defined as the use of ineffective means to allay anxiety when effective ones are not available, then we must conclude that no society will ever be completely free from it." -Keith Thomas, Religion and the Decline of Magic, 1971.
FergusonTO35
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby David Vincent » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:26 am

With most of these sns guns its just a matter of finding a mag that fits the magwell and the feedlips being somewhat compatable. If I remember right the sundance mags fit the sterling pretty well.

Beretta 950 mecgars and promags might be compatable with a lot of these pocket 25s if you make the cut for the catch. You will have the mag potrude a little bit from the bottom.

Lorcin mags are kind of a pain in the 22s and 25s. Triple K mags are better quality than the factory l25 mags but they are a little loose in the magwell and feed a little hard. the angle of the feed is a little off but they do work.

Most of the SNS pocket guns magazines are not hard to find thanks to all the reincarnations of the guns. Sundances and lorcins are probably the worst. The sterling 22lr mags are expensive but I have seen jennings j22mag modified to fit.

the plus side is you dont really need that many spares as these are more or less deep conceal ankle or pocket autos meant to run a couple of mags and get yourself the heck out of dodge or make your way to a more formidable weapon. I carry SNS guns a lot as backups in the pocket and typically have 1 spare reload where as my primary (makarov most of the time) I carry six spare mags for concealed carry. The pocket autos like sns guns are more or less parking lot guns if some predator jumps you while your out doing grocery runs or other daily tasks.

six spare mags sound crazy but its a should rig thing. A loaded makarov weight is the equivelant of six loaded spare mags to it serves as a counterbalance an stabalizes the gun. The way you get there is to take a six pack magazine belt pouch and fold it in half and sew it together. The sew on you rings and you have a double layered magazine pouch that (because the mags are single stack) take up as much bulk as a typical double mag shoulder holster pouch.

Another favorite carry is the keltec p11. In that case the weight of the loaded P11 is the equivelant of 2 loaded s&w 5906 magazines. So its a lot lighter carry than the makarov.

So this is all off topic as Ussual for me LOL... but the point is that you dont need that many mags for these pocket autos for all intended purposes. Now if you have say... 10 lorcin L25s... yeah, you need to have some spares. In all honesty with most of these guns the gun itself will probably die before the mag wears out. I gues the crap sns springs could go first but I doubt it. Single stack magazines are far less sensitive to spring wear and reliability issues than double stack magazine. Most single stack mags will run forever even with cracked feedlips. Its when you get into double stack mags where you can run into problems with spring wear, follower wear, and magazine body wear. Single stacks like SNS guns are problematic if they are not fit right but once tweeked are typically good to go unless you get a used one that been heavily abused or defective from the factory.

I will say I have bought new SNS mags that where defective from the factory where the mag body was not straight and had an arch to it. Maybe it was a SNS curve pistol prototype LOL.
David Vincent
600+ Rounds Club.Zamak Hoarding Weird++

Postby David Vincent » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:30 am

FergusonTO35 wrote:Q: How do you double the value of a Lorcin?
A: Include a mag with it!

some lorcins dont even need mags. It makes them unreliable. It can also effect accuracy of lorcins.

Sedcos dont need magazines either. Its just for cosmetics.
David Vincent
600+ Rounds Club.Zamak Hoarding Weird++

Postby FergusonTO35 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:55 am

Agreed. The mag on these guns is just a removable compartment to keep extra rounds handy, similar to speedfeed stocks for shotguns.
"If magic is to be defined as the use of ineffective means to allay anxiety when effective ones are not available, then we must conclude that no society will ever be completely free from it." -Keith Thomas, Religion and the Decline of Magic, 1971.
FergusonTO35
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby Flowmaster » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:54 pm

I know a guy at the gun shows that has some deal worked out with a bunch of pawn shops. He buys their mags that they have kicking around and takes them to the gun shows. He literally had multiple five gallon buckets of mags at the last 2 shows. He had any single stack for $10 and any double stack for $15. I bought a Raven mag and a J25 mag. I see J22 mags everywhere but I never see J25 mags. If I had money I would've just cleaned him out of his SNS mags.
Flowmaster
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Return to Saturday Night Specials