Sundance Point Blank grip removal

Moderators: FergusonTO35, jeffchance, Flowmaster, 356, pockets, farmkid, adam01364, martin08, Mr Saturday Night Special

Sundance Point Blank grip removal

Postby adam01364 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:13 am

I discovered the trigger on my Sundance Point Blank was frozen, so I decided to pull the grips to see what was going on –or should I say what was NOT going on. Fortunately, the situation was easily resolved with a shot of penetrating oil, followed up with a good cleaning and re-oiling.

In the process I learned a little more about these somewhat hard to find derringers and thought I would share.

1. Construction: Grip frame = molded resin. Receiver and barrel housing = Zamak. Internal parts = steel. Steel barrels are inserted into the Zamak housing.
2. The right grip is molded into the grip frame and is not removable.
3. The screws on the grips go into a threaded post that acts as both a method to hold the grips on the pistol and also as a spacer. The lower of these posts rests firmly against the hammer spring.
4. The third grip “screw” is molded to look like the head of a screw, but it is NOT a screw. Don’t try to remove it, you’ll mar the grip.
5. There is a small tab on the left grip that helps hold the grip firmly against the frame. Care must be taken not to forcefully remove the grip –least you break the tab off when removing the grip.
6. There is a small pin molded onto the grip frame that matches up with a recess on the grip. When re-installing the grip, FIRST put the grip onto this pin. Next, rotate the grip so that the tab (see #3 above) on the grip slides underneath the grip frame. If you don’t do it this way, there is a good chance that you’ll break off the little tab, resulting in a gap between the grip and the grip frame as there will be nothing to hold the grip snugly in place.

Image Image
adam01364
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Re: Sundance Point Blank grip removal

Postby LCPfraTN » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:58 am

Adam, Thanks for the very informative post. If I can ever find one of these at a reasonable price, this is definitely good info to know! Maybe I should just stick with my High Standard. ;)
LCPfraTN
700+ Rounds Club. Official Forum Gun Nut

Postby adam01364 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:43 pm

You're welcome. I've just made arrangements to get another one of these with a broken receiver :shock: for parts; I'll be taking a deeper dive into the gun and posting what I discover. I've been eyeing those Hi Standards when I run across them, but they do fetch a tidy sum. ;)
Image Image
adam01364
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby Flowmaster » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:17 pm

That just completely blew my mind.
Flowmaster
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby jeffchance » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:22 pm

Good info there. Thanks.
JEFF
01 FFL
Certified Glock Armorer
www.jandnguns.com
SEMPER FI
jeffchance
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby adam01364 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:43 pm

As promised, the second Point Blank parts gun has arrived. Here is what it looks like 90% torn down.
Oh, the little piece taped to the white scrap of paper? It's the ball bearing that fits into the safety detent, it's about the size of a small pin head. :shock:

And HERE is why it is nothing but a parts gun: The frame is broken. :cry:

Image Image
adam01364
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby jeffchance » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:10 pm

Hopefully that is not the part you need. :?
JEFF
01 FFL
Certified Glock Armorer
www.jandnguns.com
SEMPER FI
jeffchance
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby adam01364 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:49 am

Nope! :D
I bought this particular Point Blank simply for the exercise of taking it down and putting it back together. :o
Image Image
adam01364
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby FergusonTO35 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:47 am

So tell us more about these seldom seen guns. Are they double or single action? Do they use two firing pins or one?
"If magic is to be defined as the use of ineffective means to allay anxiety when effective ones are not available, then we must conclude that no society will ever be completely free from it." -Keith Thomas, Religion and the Decline of Magic, 1971.
FergusonTO35
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby adam01364 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:11 am

These are double action with a single blade firing pin that moves upward on the first shot, and cams downward on the second shot. The frame/receiver has an elongated slot in it to allow the firing pin to move in the upward /downward direction. i've never seen a Hi-Standard derringer; is this how they did it too? (Maybe LCP will chime in here?)
Image Image
adam01364
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Next

Return to Saturday Night Specials