New Colt Cobra!

Moderators: FergusonTO35, farmkid, jeffchance, Flowmaster, 356, pockets, martin08, adam01364, Mr Saturday Night Special

Re: New Colt Cobra!

Postby LCPfraTN » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:13 pm

I'll stick with buying older Colts's at good prices when I can find them. I bought an early 80s model Detective Special from an individual for $450 last month. It also included an extra brand new 3" barrel. It has a little wear on it, but overall it's in very good condition and since it's not a safe queen, I'll actually take it out and shoot it.

I keep hoping to find a Python for a reasonable price, but I think that ship has already sailed. :(
LCPfraTN
700+ Rounds Club. Official Forum Gun Nut

Postby FergusonTO35 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:04 pm

I've always been a Detective Special fan and consider it to be one of the best wheelguns ever, at least in concept. I am really disappointed that Ruger has never tried to make their own version, the closest they ever came was the short barrel Speed Six which is still fairly heavy. The SP-101 would have been the perfect carry revolver with six rounds of .38 Special on board. In fact, the SP-101 and most versions of the DS use the same holsters. Unfortunately, Ruger chose to make it a heavy five shooter.

I have a Rossi 461, a snubnose with six rounds of .357 about the same size and weight as an SP-101 or DS. Mine has a 3" tube and fits SP-101 holsters perfectly. Only spent $230.00 on it LNIB.
"If magic is to be defined as the use of ineffective means to allay anxiety when effective ones are not available, then we must conclude that no society will ever be completely free from it." -Keith Thomas, Religion and the Decline of Magic, 1971.
FergusonTO35
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby LCPfraTN » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:40 am

I really like the Ruger SP-101 revolvers in 3" even though they have just 5 round cylinders. Of course I like the old S&W model 60 too. I've got a modified 3" model 60 with adjustable sights that is one of my favorite shooters. It's not worth a whole lot from a collector point of view since its been modified, but it's a very practical and functional revolver.
LCPfraTN

Postby FergusonTO35 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:48 pm

For those who enjoy punishing themselves with .357's in snubbies there is no better choice than the SP-101. I never shoot anything stronger than standard .38's out of them so the extra strength is just needless weight. If I'm going to carry a 20+ ounce revolver I might as well get a sixth round in the deal.

I have my S&W 637 some exercise yesterday. Very accurate little pocket rocket, one of my favorites. Your 60 sounds like a neat piece. Got any pics?
"If magic is to be defined as the use of ineffective means to allay anxiety when effective ones are not available, then we must conclude that no society will ever be completely free from it." -Keith Thomas, Religion and the Decline of Magic, 1971.
FergusonTO35
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby LCPfraTN » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:51 pm

I do have one pic of the modified model 60 together with my model 64. I'm traveling the next few weeks and seem to be having trouble posting pics using my iPad. I'll try to remember to post that picture and maybe take some other pics when I get back.

I don't look at the SP-101 revolvers the same way that you do since I don't use them as a carry pistol. I like them because they are well designed guns and I think they are beautiful to look at. I agree that .357 magnum isn't fun to shoot in a snub nose revolver. My smallest .357 is a model 66 snubby, but even it isn't fun to shoot with .357 magnum loads. One of my SP-101 revolvers is a .327 magnum which packs a wallop too, but just like the .357, there are lighter shooting alternatives.
LCPfraTN

Postby FergusonTO35 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:55 am

Don't get me wrong, I like the SP-101 and wouldn't mind to have another one. Thing is, I think it is awfully heavy and expensive for what it is.
FergusonTO35
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Previous

Return to Other firearms not listed