Chambered round in a pocket pistol?

Moderators: FergusonTO35, farmkid, jeffchance, Flowmaster, 356, pockets, martin08, adam01364, Mr Saturday Night Special

Chambered round in a pocket pistol?

Postby Papa G » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:19 pm

Are there any small pocket semi-auto's that are safe to carry in the pocket with a round in the chamber and ready to fire? Appreciate your interest and reply's! :)
the Founding Fathers...the original T-party extremist's
Papa G
Zamak Hoarding Weirdo FORUM BENEFACTOR

Re: Chambered round in a pocket pistol?

Postby adam01364 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:35 pm

Hmmm. Well, I've carried FIE Titans in the half-cocked position.
And I read somewhere there are some who have carried Baby Brownings in condition one (but I wasn't one of them).
Image Image
adam01364
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby jeffchance » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:47 pm

The Browning 1911-22 and 1911-380 compacts , although not REAL small, have a thumb safety like all 1911's and they are as safe as any.
I don't pocket carry, so I have very little real world experience there.
JEFF
01 FFL
Certified Glock Armorer
www.jandnguns.com
SEMPER FI
jeffchance
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby Papa G » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:56 pm

I am thinking home carry. I wonder if my .25acp Galesi would do. Thinking its small and not obvious, and not scare family, and friends like a holstered handgun would be.
Papa G

Postby FergusonTO35 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:08 pm

Among hammer fired designs, some are safe to carry cocked and locked, others can be carried with the hammer all the way down. The half-cock notch is not a safe way to carry with one in the pipe. Just like an old style single action revolver, a sharp blow to the back of the hammer can disengage it from the sear and strike the firing pin. My Kimber Micro is perfectly safe to carry cocked and locked as the thumb safety physically blocks the hammer from coming forward and it has a passive firing pin safety in the slide. The Beretta Tomcat and Bobcat series can be safely carried with the hammer all the way down, the inertia firing pin does not contact the cartridge in this manner.
"If magic is to be defined as the use of ineffective means to allay anxiety when effective ones are not available, then we must conclude that no society will ever be completely free from it." -Keith Thomas, Religion and the Decline of Magic, 1971.
FergusonTO35
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby Flowmaster » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:07 pm

I carry a Kel Tec P32 chambered and have toted it around daily for several years now. It lives in a leather pocket holster from pocketholsters.com and it just looks like I've got a wallet in my pocket.

There are a bunch of other guns that use the same sort of design with a long double action only trigger mechanism and a hammer that rests at an angle away from the firing pin. The Ruger LCP, Kel Tec P3AT, Taurus TCP, S&W Bodyguard 380, Diamondbacks, and others all use the same firing mechanism where you have to have the hammer pulled back with the action of the trigger before it can go forward to touch the spring loaded firing pin.

I don't trust myself to pull a gun, rack it, then aim and shoot it in a reasonable amount of time during a possible defensive situation.

I've never carried striker-fired Zamak SNS guns with one in the chamber. I've got Ravens and Jennings, Bryco, Calwestco, and Jimenez guns but I've never carried them loaded. That whole design just doesn't make me feel all warm and fuzzy about carrying one in the chamber with the safety on. I'm left handed too so manipulating the safety on some handgun designs requires me to change my grip or hold the gun with my right hand. Back in the day I carried a J22 with 6 in the mag and nothing in the chamber but I have since switched to the Kel Tec P32 which I carry with one in it and 7 in the magazine. I don't know how something like a Galesi pistol would compare to our striker-fired Zamak goodness in terms of safety.
Flowmaster
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby adam01364 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:35 am

Flowmaster wrote:I've never carried striker-fired Zamak SNS guns with one in the chamber. I've got Ravens and Jennings, Bryco, Calwestco, and Jimenez guns but I've never carried them loaded. That whole design just doesn't make me feel all warm and fuzzy about carrying one in the chamber with the safety on. I don't know how something like a Galesi pistol would compare to our striker-fired Zamak goodness in terms of safety.

Agree 100% about our Zamak SNS guns. The Galesi is striker-fired as well, so I'd be mighty wary about carrying it hot in my pocket.
Image Image
adam01364
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby Papa G » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:01 pm

Flowmaster wrote:I carry a Kel Tec P32 chambered and have toted it around daily for several years now. It lives in a leather pocket holster from pocketholsters.com and it just looks like I've got a wallet in my pocket.

There are a bunch of other guns that use the same sort of design with a long double action only trigger mechanism and a hammer that rests at an angle away from the firing pin. The Ruger LCP, Kel Tec P3AT, Taurus TCP, S&W Bodyguard 380, Diamondbacks, and others all use the same firing mechanism where you have to have the hammer pulled back with the action of the trigger before it can go forward to touch the spring loaded firing pin.

I don't trust myself to pull a gun, rack it, then aim and shoot it in a reasonable amount of time during a possible defensive situation.

I've never carried striker-fired Zamak SNS guns with one in the chamber. I've got Ravens and Jennings, Bryco, Calwestco, and Jimenez guns but I've never carried them loaded. That whole design just doesn't make me feel all warm and fuzzy about carrying one in the chamber with the safety on. I'm left handed too so manipulating the safety on some handgun designs requires me to change my grip or hold the gun with my right hand. Back in the day I carried a J22 with 6 in the mag and nothing in the chamber but I have since switched to the Kel Tec P32 which I carry with one in it and 7 in the magazine. I don't know how something like a Galesi pistol would compare to our striker-fired Zamak goodness in terms of safety.

Thanks Flowmaster and adam01364! Good info and I certainly appreciate it. :D
Papa G

Postby adam01364 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:20 pm

You're welcome.

Interestingly, Flow and I both pocket carry the little Kel-Tecs. He's got the P32 while I've got the P3AT.
Image Image
adam01364
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby nwmousegunner » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:40 pm

Papa G I think the advice you have received is good. In my opinion the Kel-Teks are reliable pocket pistols. I have not had any experience with the P32, but I sometimes carry a P38T. I carry a double action only or a double action semi auto every day. I collect pocket pistols and have a modest collection of mostly .22 short, 22 lr, and .25acp. The Galesi is an all steel pistol, well made and fitted. I have two one in .22 and one in .25. I just don't feel comfortable with a striker fired gun in my pocket. If you want a small .25 for pocket carry my choice would be a Beretta model 20. It is a double action version of the 950.
nwmousegunner
GUN NUT!

Next

Return to Other firearms not listed