S&W 637

Moderators: FergusonTO35, farmkid, jeffchance, Flowmaster, 356, pockets, martin08, adam01364, Mr Saturday Night Special

Re: S&W 637

Postby FergusonTO35 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:01 pm

Been shooting and carrying the 637 more, as the weather permits. I added some Pachmayr Compac Pro grips which work great. They add about 1/4" more length to the bottom of the grip and have more to hold on to overall. I can't tell that they make the pistol any harder to conceal than the skinny OEM grips. They do make the 637 much easier to shoot. The aggressive checkering doesn't slide around as much as the subtle texture of the original grips. The 637 is very accurate as long as I do my part. at 15 feet in single action it will make a neat cluster slightly above the front sight. The 3.4 grains Bullseye/150 grain LSWC load I feed it is a little stronger than most factory lead bullet ammo but still within the standard pressure range according to my data. Now, bump up the charge and you will feel the increased recoil more than you would with a larger revolver. I like accuracy and fast follow up shots so this is the load I'm sticking with.

The internal lock hasn't showed any signs of malfunction yet but it does worry me. There are reports that the lock can engage itself if the revolver is dropped in just the right way or if the little spring on the bottom breaks. Examining the mechanism of the lock I don't see anything to really keep it unlocked. The part you put the key in is not really a lock but a round button with an eccentric that moves the lock flag up or down, the little wire spring keeps the flag in the down or up position. If this was just a range toy I wouldn't worry about it but I would feel better to deactivate the lock in way that is reversible. It looks like all you have to do is flatten the little nub on the inside of the lock flag that blocks the hammer from going back when engaged. I ordered a used flag on Fleabay, the plan is to flatten out the nub and obscure the word "LOCKED" that appears on it. If I ever sell the gun or it has to go back to S&W I'll just reinstall the original and no one will be any wiser. Will post pics of how it goes.
"If magic is to be defined as the use of ineffective means to allay anxiety when effective ones are not available, then we must conclude that no society will ever be completely free from it." -Keith Thomas, Religion and the Decline of Magic, 1971.
FergusonTO35
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby FergusonTO35 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:17 pm

Thought I would post an update. Been shooting and carrying the 637 alot lately and continue to be impressed with it. Today I tried 3.6 grains Bullseye with a Lee 358-140-SWC sized to .357. The 637 really likes this load. In spite of the 16 F temperature it was placing them pretty much POA with more mild recoil than the 150's I had been shooting. Across the chronograph they gave some good numbers as shown below.

Low: 771.7
High: 813.6
Average: 790.4
Ex. Spread: 41.92
St. Deviation: 13.22
Energy: 196.96

I purchased an extra internal lock flag and am still planning to modify and install it, just need a day where I can go shoot it afterward to make sure it is successful.
"If magic is to be defined as the use of ineffective means to allay anxiety when effective ones are not available, then we must conclude that no society will ever be completely free from it." -Keith Thomas, Religion and the Decline of Magic, 1971.
FergusonTO35
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby FergusonTO35 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:20 am

Still shooting and carrying the 637. I recently bought an extra safety flag from Fleabay in order to make an inert flag to render the frame lock inoperable. I filed down the little nub that locks the hammer and sanded it smooth, I also filed off the word "LOCKED" on the other side. I took the revolver apart and installed the new inert flag, I also gave the sear surfaces and trigger rebound slide and light honing. Put it back together and works great, the honing smoothed out the double action pull too. I will keep the original safety flag to reinstall if the revolver ever has to go back to S&W.
FergusonTO35
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby FergusonTO35 » Sun May 08, 2016 9:28 am

Still enjoying the 637. It is just as accurate as my larger .38's, at least at close ranges. I installed an 8 pound trigger rebound spring from Wolff. This, plus the gentle stoning of the hammer and trigger surfaces, have created a really sweet double action pull. You can actually feel when the cylinder is completely indexed for the perfect release.
FergusonTO35
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby FergusonTO35 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:29 am

Another update. The 637 and my Kimber Micro are hands down my favorite carry pieces. Both are easy to carry, very accurate at bad guy distance, and reasonably potent with my ammo. The 637 in particular can really surprise you in terms of accuracy. As long as I can properly line up the tiny sights this revolver will keep up with my S&W 10-5 and Ruger Service Six. I have started using Jerry Miculek's grip and trigger pull technique and it really helps. There are videos on how to do it, but basically you take a high grip and use the middle joint of the trigger finger to fire rather than the first joint.

I also carry an old school load in the 637: 148 grain Lyman full wadcutter over 3.1 grains Bullseye and a Federal primer. It clocks a very consistent 712 fps, is very accurate and easy to shoot. Sedate wadcutter loads actually penetrate quite well due to the high sectional density and lack of expansion, and the big flat point and sharp shoulder can do some damage.
FergusonTO35
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Previous

Return to Other firearms not listed